The simFlight Network Forums

Apply special deadzones with FSUIPC 4.xx?

Hi,

first of all I want to thank Mr. Dowson for his great tool :-). But there is one question left for me:

Is it possible to adjust a throttle lever with FSUIPC 4.28 that way (in this case a Saitek throttle quadrant), that I can push it to the mechanical stop at max but it will only send a signal like "I'm on 95% now"? This would be nice for e.g. a B737. My quadrant always makes N1 go up to self-destructive 111% or more when being pushed to max. Of course I want N1 to go up only to 98 or 99%, even when the trottle lever is at max deflection.

Yesterday I tried to use the set-button to tell FSX that the throttle only has a travel from about 0-80% but FSX interprets this shorter travel as (of course) 0-100% :?.

Thanks for help :-)!

Is it possible to adjust a throttle lever with FSUIPC 4.28 that way (in this case a Saitek throttle quadrant), that I can push it to the mechanical stop at max but it will only send a signal like "I'm on 95% now"?

If the highest Input value from your throttle is less than 16384, then you can edit the calibration figure for the maximum in the FSUIPC INI file (the JoystickCalibration section). to make it higher, so that is is never reached. To get 95% might be a matter of experimentation though.

If your maximum input value is at 16384 or close then, no, there is no way.

There should NEVER be a need for such a facility. The whole point of calibration is to make sure your inputs can reach the complete intended range designed into the particular aircraft model!

Of course I want N1 to go up only to 98 or 99%, even when the trottle lever is at max deflection.

Why "of course"? Many aircraft are supposed to reach values of 108 or 110% N1 at max thrust, for take off under difficult conditions or for emergencies.

This would be nice for e.g. a B737. My quadrant always makes N1 go up to self-destructive 111% or more when being pushed to max.

That's about right, and certainly not self-destructive unless maintained for too long. Anyway, you should be applying the N1 limit (via an instrument panel setting or via the FMC) appropriate to the conditions.

If you really do want to reduce your 737's performance, to make it unrealistic, edit the Aircraft.CFG file instead. Your axes should ALWAYS be able to reach the complete range designed for the aircraft!

Regards

Pete

Pete,

thanks for your response. Ok, it is definitely a cut to the performance. But since I've had the chance to fly in a full-motion-sim at Lufthansa flight school, I've noticed that N1 would go only to 99,x% when pushing the throttle to max. I even asked the instructor about that and he replied, like you said, that it's possible to go over 100% for a short time but only under certain conditions. Maybe he turned on a "beginner"-mode :wink:. But I try to turn my FSX more like to what I saw at that LH-sim.

Best wishes :-)

But since I've had the chance to fly in a full-motion-sim at Lufthansa flight school, I've noticed that N1 would go only to 99,x% when pushing the throttle to max. I even asked the instructor about that and he replied, like you said, that it's possible to go over 100% for a short time but only under certain conditions.

I suspect that TO/GA mode was applied and therefore the N1 limit came into operation. Usually this is set much lower than 100% for normal takeoffs. You don't often see pilots takeoff in a 737 without some A/T and A/P modes pre-set, even though the A/P is not actually engaged for quite a while -- the flight director is used for pitch and bank guidance, and the A/T with N1 limit for thrust control and engine protection -- during takeoff you need eyes up, not on the instruments, though the PNF (pilot not flying) will of course scan them to ensure nothing unwanted happens, as always.

Regards

Pete

I suspect that TO/GA mode was applied and therefore the N1 limit came into operation.

That's absolutely possible and plausible. Since the sim-flight was quite short and everything was set for an instant take off, I wasn't aware if TO/GA was activated. So you convinced me, I leave the settings for the throttle as is :wink:.

Thanks for your help!!!