The simFlight Network Forums

Connect real Garmin GPSMAP 496 ???

I saw mention that it was possible to connect a real world Garmin GPSMAP 496 to FS via FSUIPC...

Is this possible ???

Is there a procedure anywhere ???

If the GPS accepts NMEA 0183 or Aviation format position information. None of my three Garmin models do.

For FS9 or earlier you need to download GPSout. For FSX you need a registered version of FSUIPC4. Then refer to the documentation.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the responses...

:D

It sounds like the odds are my Garmin won't accept it...

Too bad - it would have been nice...

If I really wanted to test it - what type of cable would I use to connect my PC to the Garmin ???

The USB to USB ??? Or do I need some custom comm cable ???

While I am here - thanks Pete - for all you hard work on FSUIPC...

Been using the payware version for a bunch of years - and - I am one happy customer...

Regards,

Scott

It sounds like the odds are my Garmin won't accept it...

I don't know. You have the unit already? If so, why not check -- it should say in the manual what inputs it takes. Often they have a proprietary (Garmin) protocol for transsfer of software, maps, route data and the like, and maybe it has NMEA 0182 or "Aviation" or "400 Series" protocol for positioning -- it may have to go into a simulation mode to turn off the actual GPS receivers.

If I really wanted to test it - what type of cable would I use to connect my PC to the Garmin ???

The USB to USB ??? Or do I need some custom comm cable ???

You got me there. If it's only got a USB connection then it has to be connected to a USB port, but usually the software you installed on the PC for it will have included a "HotSync" program which takes it over as soon as you plug it in. I think in that case you have to somehow kill the Hotsync program so that the port can be assigned to GPSout, as a serial port. The serial port names for USB are a bit odd and I'm not sure how you find out -- there is an example in the data for GPSout.

If it has a regular COM port as well, you'd be better off using a normal "null modem" serial cable, COM port to COM port. Or maybe Garmin supply a COM port cable which adapts the USB. I realy couldn't guess, sorry.

Here are a couple of previous threads relating to GPSout on Garmin units:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=20878

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=21271

Maybe they'll be useful?

Regards

Pete

OK - I think this might work...

Since my computer does not have any traditional serial ports - I need to get the USB to Serial adapter to create a real COM port...

Then I need to purchase a Garmin PC Serial Port connector cable...

The Garmin 496 supports:

Garmin Data Transfer

Garmin DGPS

Garmin Remote Sonar

NMEA In / NMEA Out

Aviation In

Aviation In / NMEA and VHF Out

TIS In

TIS In / NMEA and vHF Out

RTCM In

RTCM In / NMEA Out

RTCM In / Text Out

Text Out

So - I am buying the necessary cables and will give it a try...

I'll let you know how I make out...

Thanks for the assist...

Regards,

Scott