The simFlight Network Forums

Angle of Attack

I am trying to get an absolute Angle of Attack value calculated, for use across a wide variety of aircraft. I was reading here:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=4603&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Angle+of+Attack

And it appears (confirmed with my work with FSInterrogate) that after adjusting the value, I get a relative AoA with is a percentage of the maximum AoA value for the aircraft, contained in the AIR file. Is there any way to expose this value via an FSUIPC offset, or get at it programmatically?

Cheers!

Luke

I get a relative AoA with is a percentage of the maximum AoA value for the aircraft, contained in the AIR file. Is there any way to expose this value via an FSUIPC offset, or get at it programmatically?

Unless you can read it from the AIRCRAFT.CFG file or extract it from the AIR file (which is identified in FSUIPC offsets), I don't think so. You might want to ask in an aircraft designers forum, if there is one.

I think the value is a relative one because that suits AofA indicators.

Regards

Pete

Hi Luke,

As Pete said you can only retrieve via FSUIPC the absolute body angle of attack (at offset 0x2ED0). Since FS9 and FSX disregard wing incidence, it is also the wing AoA. Calculating AoA relative to maximum AoA will require you programmatically read Table 404 (or 1545 if it exists) of the air file and determine the AoA for max CL coefficient. This is not insurmountable since FSUIPC provides you the path of the air file. All you will have to do is to build an adequate extract routine (air file is a coded binary file). It seems this information was already extensively discussed in 2003 in the link you provided..how time flies!

Hervé