The simFlight Network Forums

Re install simconnect

I've read the topic reinstalling cimmconnect. Done all the steps but simmconnect won't reinstall.

I found this out when running FSX and the problem occurred that FSX won't load because it can't load simconnect.dll.

When looking at the wnsxs folder I don't see new folders with the simconnect.dll.

Maybe I got it wrong but when after running the repair function of FSX and installing SP1 and SP2 there should be three new entries.

Piece of information that I had to do some tricks to get access to the winsxs folder. Ownership is now at the administrator and not with the trustedInstaller. Maybe that is causing it but I don't know how to set it back.

So help is appreciated.

I've read the topic reinstalling cimmconnect. Done all the steps but simmconnect won't reinstall.

I found this out when running FSX and the problem occurred that FSX won't load because it can't load simconnect.dll.

I've never heard of FSX not loading because of SimConnect.dll, because, in fact, FSX itself doesn't use SimConnect.dll -- the programs which use it are add-on applications and plug-ins like FSUIPC. What exactly does FSX say when it won't run?

When looking at the wnsxs folder I don't see new folders with the simconnect.dll.

Not "new" folders, just the standard ones in WinSxS. If the base SimConnect one is not there, just run repair or install from the main FSX DVD.

Maybe I got it wrong but when after running the repair function of FSX and installing SP1 and SP2 there should be three new entries.

"New"?

Piece of information that I had to do some tricks to get access to the winsxs folder. Ownership is now at the administrator and not with the trustedInstaller. Maybe that is causing it but I don't know how to set it back.

Oh dear. Are you a Vista user? I have no idea how you managed to change the ownership -- I'd love to know how to do that! As a consequence of not knowing I don't know how to change it back either. Sorry.

i strongly suspect that it is the change of ownership which prevents FSX from working. The WinSxS folder contains all of the side-by-side library setups used by many many programs, not just FSX and even for FSX not just for SimConnect. I think the C run-time libraries are there too, and many other essential subsystems. I also suspect that by them not being in the correct ownership clobbers the way the Side-by-Side system works. and that's whay FSX (and maybe other things) won't load.

I did do a bit of searching on this for you. Take a look at http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15936owner.html. It may help.

Vista frightens me. It is far far too complicated.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the link Pete That was what I was looking for. Now I'm trying to move the files in your help file. Restore ownership to the trustedinstaller and run the repair utility from the FSX DVD and reinstall SP1 and SP2.

I will keep you updated.

BTW the steps discribed to move ownership to you instead of the trusted installer are the same to move ownership from the trustedinstaller to you. Problem is that when you want to move the ownership back to the trustedinstaller the trustedinstaller isn't in the list of accounts.

Maybe you can add this to you helpfile.

Maybe you can add this to you helpfile.

Since I don't really know how to do it (and I am loathe to try these things out on a perfectly working system for fear of messing it up), I really don't see myself knowledgeable enough to include anything about it. The current write-up probably needs a warning "not for Vista" if it doesn't already say so!

Perhaps if what you are doing does eventually work you could kindly write up the process for us (with references to other websites if really necessary -- though you have to be careful with those as they come and go)? What do you think?

By the way, I'm not sure why you deleted all three SimConnect folders. Did you suspect they were all corrupted? The one needed to get FSUIPC (and many other SimConnect client modules) loaded is just the base version, the original from the DVD.

Regards

Pete