The simFlight Network Forums

Trouble with calibrating via FSUIPC

Good morning everybody !

Today I tried the first time, to calibrate my Saitek Throttle Quadrant with FSUIPC ! what a desaster :Dnothing is working, as it should anymore !

So I understood, that it is better to read first, before dealing with FSUIPC. Unfortunately I didn`t find the proper description or maybe I´m simply not clever enough to understand. So here is my question:

All I want to do is, to advise two levers of the quadrant as throttle no.1 and no.2 of my Level-D 767 ! my attempt was resulting in an completely inproper movement of the throttles and the reverse - action is starting at around 50% lever setting now :roll: ).

So is someone here who could give me a short and simple explanation ? or a link to the description which fits for my problem ? or even a hint, how I can deactivate the influence of FSUIPC to my throttle, so that I can use it as before ?

I would appreciate any helpthanks a lot in advance ...

Greetings from Germany

Mats

Today I tried the first time, to calibrate my Saitek Throttle Quadrant with FSUIPC ! what a desaster :Dnothing is working, as it should anymore !

Apparently there is an installation bug with the Saitek Quadrants, needing some registry editing. Please see other threads on the subject, particularly this one, which I found by searching on "Saitek throttle":

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=72153

So is someone here who could give me a short and simple explanation ?

The shortest and simplest, in very simple numbered steps, is the one in the FSUIPC User Guide. That is why it is there, and has stood the test of time over more than 10 years of FSUIPC users.

how I can deactivate the influence of FSUIPC to my throttle, so that I can use it as before ?

Just press the "Reset" button in the calibration tab for your throttles. When the top left button in each section reads "Set" then FSUIPC is not doing anything. When it reads "Reset" you can push it to deactivate FSUIPC's calibration. Simple, and exactly what it says in the documentation, which is in English. Sorry about that. Maybe you could get help translating?

Regards

Pete

Thanks Peter for Your quick answer - but the link didn`t really helphave You really had a look for it, before replying to my question :wink: ?

Wellso I guess, FSUIPC isn`t working with the Saitek Stufftoo badthink I have to post this topic in the german forums ...

Thanks Peter for Your quick answer - but the link didn`t really helphave You really had a look for it, before replying to my question

Yes, of course. I knew about it already because it is a problem which affected a good friend of mine just this last weekend, after he purchased a Saitek yoke, with throttle quadrant, and a second throttle quadrant, at the show in Birmingham. He found the registry fix mentioned in that thread by going to Saitek's Support forums and searching there.

He is using FSUIPC now for every axis, the yoke aileron/elevator and the 6 quadrant levers, and they are all working well. Very smoothly.

... so I guess, FSUIPC isn`t working with the Saitek Stuff

Sorry, but you guess wrong. There are lots of happy users. I really don't know what is wrong on your system, but knowing about the Saitek installation errors in the registry I suggested you look at that first. Otherwise maybe there's further assistance on the Saitek forums.

FSUIPC doesn't do different things for different makes of device. It simply reads the values the device's drivers provide (or FS provides if assigning through FS rather than FSUIPC) and allows you to match the range of input values to the range needed by the specific FS control. There's no magic, and it doesn't know Saitek from CH from Microsoft from a home-built system. It isn't interfacing to hardware but to the drivers that are installed for the device, or to FS, depending on which is asked to read the values.

Regards

Pete

FSUIPC behaves the same with a Saitek as a CH throttle, but the Saitek isn't built the same as a CH throttle - the reverser operates differently. While I was able to configure the CH TQ using the manual instructions, I had to do it slightly differently with the Saitek units. (Which I also bought at the Brum show... Were you there Pete?)

Prior to having to redo everything because the FSUIPC calibrations clashed with SP1 of the A2A B377 (I'll discuss that one on another thread at some point), I had two standalone throttle quads, a yoke and pedals all calibrated and working via FSUIPC.

The way I set them up was to put the Reverse and both Idle settings as being the same - the "idle" detent on the throttles. You have to remember that the reversers are buttons, not part of the potentiometer travel, on the Saitek quads. The "full power" setting is the top of the arc, so that's 16634 or whatever it should be, with the other three settings all at -16634 or whatever the number should be. That results in the full travel of the lever being used for power.

For the reversers, set up a button so that it is pressed when the lever is moved to the reverse position. Set it to "Throttle 1 Decr" and "Repeat While Pressed", then for the "On Release" drop-down, set it to "Throttle 1 Close". This means that when you move the lever off the button, back to idle, it effectively presses F1, returning the throttle to idle power without having to add power, then remove it, using the lever.

Repeat for throttle 2... and 3 and 4 if you're flying things with that many engines.

That worked for me, with everything but the Stratocruiser. I now have the throttles for that configured using FSX internally, but the reversers and gear lever are still controlled by FSUIPC. It's all working perfectly.

Ian P.

FSUIPC behaves the same with a Saitek as a CH throttle, but the Saitek isn't built the same as a CH throttle - the reverser operates differently. While I was able to configure the CH TQ using the manual instructions, I had to do it slightly differently with the Saitek units. (Which I also bought at the Brum show... Were you there Pete?)

Yes, in the morning only, along with my friend Ray who bought the Saitek yoke and additional throttle. It was rather a disappointing show for me, especially compared to the previous weekend at Lelystad with all those homebuilt cockpits and other goodies on display! ;-)

The best thing last weekend was coming home and finding that Aerosoft's Madeira scenery had been released for download. My favourite destination! ;-)

The way I set them up was to put the Reverse and both Idle settings as being the same - the "idle" detent on the throttles. You have to remember that the reversers are buttons, not part of the potentiometer travel, on the Saitek quads.

Yes, that's a worrying trend on these things. I'll have to consider having a "no reverse" option on the separate throttle calibrations page. Shame. The whole raison d'etre of that page was for throttles to have a reverse zone. something not provided by the normal FS throttle system (excepting on the graphics mouse-operated quadrant).

Regards

Pete

Most of that was found using the forum search tool, Mats - the information is all here, as Pete says. I think the only thing I had to work out myself was the gear lever, which wasn't too difficult either, to be honest.

Have fun!

I was there during the morning Pete, it's a pity I didn't get to say hello. I hate it when I find out that people I've wanted to meet for ages were in the same place at the same time and I didn't meet them! :mrgreen:

I'll drop you a PM regarding my thoughts on the show, as this thread probably isn't really the place to discuss it. I thought it was OK though, at least it wasn't grossly overhyped like a certain now deceased show was.

Edit: One thing that FSUIPC still does provide, which FS doesn't, is individual throttle reversers though - that single function is exceptionally useful, rather than having to reverse all throttles at the same time.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Well Pete, as an airline pilot I´m quite used to the english language (in my personal limits :lol: ) so there is no need for You to be arrogant :wink: ...

I scanned through all the big german forums like FXP, FF etc.and found trouble with Saitek and FSUIPC anywherethere is, of course, a solutionbut most people don`t really know how they fixed itat least they don`t telling us in the forums ...

As we all pay money for Your wonderful and essential tool, I think it would be a good Idea to support us by a step - by step manual, concerning the Saitek throttle.

I would offer to translate this into german language, so our huge simmer`s community could participate :) how about that ?

As we all pay money for Your wonderful and essential tool, I think it would be a good Idea to support us by a step - by step manual, concerning the Saitek throttle.

Oh? You don't pay any money for the Saitek throttle, only for FSUIPC?

How do you expect me to write manuals for every piece of hardware out there that folks can connect to FS and maybe calibrate in FSUIPC? I don't even have any such hardware! And, apart from the fact that they have a button on the extreme low point, as far as i can tell from all these discussions, there's absolutely no difference between those axes and any others on any other devices as far as FSUIPC is concerned, therefore the same instructions apply.

If there are truly problems with Saitek specifically, it is down to the Saitek drivers or even the hardware. FSUIPC is absolutely non-hardware specific.

Someone did once produce a guide for CH stuff (it's up above), mainly because, I think, it gets complicated with CH having their own management software too. I really don't know about Saitek. But if someone were to write such specific help I'd certainly consider making it "sticky" here just like the CH one.

Pete

I`m sorry to saybut the "clear" button doesn`t work at allnow some of my aircrafts are unflyable, because only one throttle is moving and it is not possible for me to restore the original throttle - settings without FSUIPCnot even with the manual. And it`s not, because I am unable to understand english.

Sorry Petebut good support is different from Yours ...

You got my money, I didn`t get answers. Result: a warning throughout all forumsbye, bye ...

I`m sorry to saybut the "clear" button doesn`t work at all

What "clear" button are you talking about? You need to be more explicit.

now some of my aircrafts are unflyable, because only one throttle is moving and it is not possible for me to restore the original throttle - settings without FSUIPCnot even with the manual. And it`s not, because I am unable to understand english.

This is plain and utter nonsense. If you have made a mess and don't know what you've done wrong, just delete the FSUIPC.INI file before loading FS and everything will revert to defaults. It isn't necessary, but I cannot help people who won't help themselves by simply asking rather than whining, and moaning about money all the time instead of exchanging technical information for assistance..

Sorry Petebut good support is different from Yours ...

You got my money, I didn`t get answers.

You have never asked ANY questions about "clear". Really, you are being grossly unfair. If you read through this forum you will see my support is second to none. It is fast, and to the point You won't get as good anywhere else!

You are simply totally unreasonable. you expect answers to questions you never ask, you fail to explain yourself and still expect people to read your mind. I really cannot help you at all if you insist on being so unreasonable.

Pete

Okaysorry, I think my behavior wasn`t right. I`d like to apologize for that Pete, as Your answers and support are really quick. For me it didn`t help and I don`t have the time to spend whole days by calibrating joysticks. So I better stay away from FSUIPC and do it the common way now. Sorry again :( !

Okaysorry, I think my behavior wasn`t right. I`d like to apologize for that Pete, as Your answers and support are really quick. For me it didn`t help and I don`t have the time to spend whole days by calibrating joysticks. So I better stay away from FSUIPC and do it the common way now. Sorry again :( !

Okay, thanks. Let's put it behind us.

I'd still like to get to the bottom of the problems you've been having, though. They aren't common. As far as I understand, and assuming there's no problems with the actual Saitek driver installation (which is a worry because I have seen it be wrong), the only slightly peculiar thing here compared with the way FSUIPC was designed to handle separate throttles is the fact that you don't want the reverers operating from them.

Whilst that shouldn't be a problem, by making one end of the idle zone the same as the Max reverse position, I can see that if this is likely to be a common requirement (which it really hasn't in the past) it might be easier for everyone to either have another complete set of 4 throttles which don't have reverse, or (and probably less work for me) another of those horrible button or checkbox options to set "no reverse zone". I am looking at doing this in the near future.

This, however, still doesn't explain the problems you seem to have got into, and I'd like to understand those. Maybe, if you still have the FSUIPC.INI file which is giving you the headache I can take a look. I don't have Saitek gear, but I can certainly try things with your settings on the el cheapo game pad i normally do testing with.

Please, ZIP your FSUIPC.INI (assuming it isn't already gone) and send to petedowson@btconnect.com. I'd also apprecate, with it please, a few notes about what you see going wrong with it.

Regards

Pete

Okaythanks for Your reply, Peteunfortunately it is as You assumed. I deleted the entries in the Inhi - File as well as in the FS9. cfg. Everything works fine now ...

But as I don`t like to give up, I`ll do it again and store the file to send it to Younot sure, whether I will do it tonight or tomorrowhopefully we will find a solution:)