The simFlight Network Forums

Vista & SimConnect

Hello,

I am buidling a program that connects to Simconnect in vb.net.

I have checked the program and it works great in my Windows XP PC>.

When I copy it to my laptop (Vista OS) i'm getting the microsoft's error report (send \ don't send window) imideatly after I execute the EXE.

I wan't to add that in the XP OS the program works great! So after I got this error I made some try and error tests to see which line in-code makes it.

The line that result the error:

fsx_simconnect = Nothing

this is how fsx_simconnect variable is declared:

Dim fsx_simconnect As SimConnect

any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Omer.

The line that result the error:

fsx_simconnect = Nothing

this is how fsx_simconnect variable is declared:

Dim fsx_simconnect As SimConnect

any Ideas?

Not really, as I don't know vb.net at all. How is that type "SimConnect" defined? Is it supposed to be the handle (which is a pointer in Windows terms) to an open SimConnect connection? And what is "Nothing" defined as -- is that similar to the "NULL" of C/C++ ( which is defined as a zero void pointer I think)?

If the location assigned for "SimConnect" is in your program, and it is something to which "Nothing" can be assigned, the obviously it should not be able to cause an error. But in any other case I would certainly expect there to be an error reported, and it may simply be that in the XP case it is in error but the memory wrongly addressed is read/write enabled, possibly by being within the range of a chunk so assigned.

Isn't VB.Net a Managed (i.e. partly interpreted) language? If so, it must be quite difficult to debug these things easily, with so much of the memory access buried deep in the interpreter?

Regards

Pete

There should be no differences in how you write the VB code for XP or Vista. I develop on my XP system, and run the same built app on it and my Vista machine all the time.

I suspect a simple reason. Do you have SimConnect installed on the Vista machine? If it isn't, then the first time you try to actually use it you'll get a crash because the imported reference to SimConnect in your VB code cannot find it.

Note that when you get the "your app has stopped working" dialog in Vista, there is a control at the bottom which allows you to view the problem details. In the case of SimConnect not being installed one of the problem signature lines will say something like System.IO.FileNotFoundException.

Jeff

Usually a "Stopped Responding" means that it is very busy processing (or stuck in a loop) or it is sat waiting to talk to the network or some driver and has had no response yet.

Personally, if I was seeing a similar issue in code I had written, I would install the VB development environment on the Vista machine and run it under the debugger.

My gut feeling is that it is still most likely an issue with your SimConnect installation on the Vista machine. Have you guaranteed that SimConnect is working on your Vista machine to remotely talk to your FSX machine?

Another thing, when you compile the app on your Windows XP machine, are you setting the build configuration for the platform to be an "x86" app or leaving it at the default "Any CPU"? If left at "Any Cpu" when run on 64-bit Vista it will look for 64-bit versions of SimConnect libraries and there are not any available.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

First, im sorry I wasn't around as I was in the army for the past 21 days.

Now, It is obviously that this problem is not related to my private program that im building as this problem also occurs with the "BasicExample" program.

I have tried the basic example program with a fresh install Windows 7 (Via Virtual PC) and have recived "BasicExample has stopped working" message.

Please note that I haven't yet installed SimConnect.msi on that virtual PC, because, as I try double clickon the MSI file im getting the "Gathering Information" window and than it disappears and nothing happends...

I'm sure there is something needed to be installed before the programs will work properly.

Please help &Thanks in advance.

Omer.

• 2 weeks later...