The simFlight Network Forums

2 ini-files?

I am a bit confused about FSUIPC. When I open the ini-file under "Modules" then it starts with (General), History, followed by all the different settings, ending with Buttons and Keys. But then there is a second part, also starting with (General), History etc., shorter then the first part and not containing Axes, Buttons etc. Is this correct? I should mention that I didnt tick the "Aircraft specific" box.

Further I ask myself whether this could influence the performance of my computer. I think that I have a very good one (Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q 6600 @ 2,4 GHz and Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra) but since some time my fps go down to values between 2 and 8, which makes it nearly impossible to fly. The computer has just been checked by the supplier but he said that all systems are running perfect. Therefore my question whether an uncorrect use of FSUIPC could cause my problems?

Guenther

I am a bit confused about FSUIPC. When I open the ini-file under "Modules" then it starts with (General), History, followed by all the different settings, ending with Buttons and Keys.

Erthere are no Buttons and Keys specified in [General]. They have their own sections, [buttons] and [Keys]. There's also [JoystickCalibrations] and probably several other sections, depending on what you've been doing -- [Profiles], [Axes] and [Monitor] for example.

But then there is a second part, also starting with (General), History etc., shorter then the first part and not containing Axes, Buttons etc. Is this correct?

No, there must only be one [General] section. Have you been editing the file? Or could your PC have possibly suffered a crash during FS, so maybe corrupting the file?

I should mention that I didnt tick the "Aircraft specific" box.

That's not relevant. If you use Aircraft specific settings, or Profiles, you just get more [buttons.xxx], [Keys.xxx] and [JoystickCalibrations.xxx] sections, one for each sepcific aircraft or profile.

Further I ask myself whether this could influence the performance of my computer.

No, not at all. The INI file [General] settings are only read once, dring FS initialisation. All duplicated sections would mean is that the settings you get could be from either one, but not both. I've no idea whether Windows finds only the first matching section or the last -- probably only the first.

I think you should assume your INI file is corrupted and delete it. If you have lots of Button or other assignments, cut and paste from the old file into a new one.

I think that I have a very good one (Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q 6600 @ 2,4 GHz and Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra) but since some time my fps go down to values between 2 and 8, which makes it nearly impossible to fly.

With FS2004, or FSX? For FSX the low speed (2.4GHz) of your processor would mean you need very low graphics settings in FSX. But with FS2004 your system should zing.

The computer has just been checked by the supplier but he said that all systems are running perfect. Therefore my question whether an uncorrect use of FSUIPC could cause my problems?

Unlikely. check the FSUIPC Log file. You could always compare your frame rates with and without FSUIPC installed, just to check -- it's only a matter of removing it temporarily from the Modules folder.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

thanks for your reply. No, I didnt edit the file and I didnt recognise a special crash during FS.

I use FS 2004, so my performance should be good as you mention.

As you said that there must be only one (General) section, I removed the second part, but immediately after I tried (unsuccessfully) to program a button, this mentioned second part was back on my ini-file. Therefore I copied the ini to send it to you. Unfortunately I dont know how to add to this answer, so I send it by Email to you. I hope it gives you a hint whats wrong with my FSUIPC.

Guenther

As you said that there must be only one (General) section, I removed the second part, but immediately after I tried (unsuccessfully) to program a button, this mentioned second part was back on my ini-file.

In that case the first so-called [General] section is not seen by windows as a [General] section at all. I notice you always type this as (General), with round parentheses -- if it is like that then it is not a section at all and will be ignored.

The lack of a [General] section cannot stop you programming a button -- perhaps you could explain what you did and why you think that was unsuccessful? Button programming does not involve reading anything from the INI -- it only writes the results there for the next reload, and they go into a [buttons] section.

Therefore I copied the ini to send it to you. Unfortunately I dont know how to add to this answer

Well the easiest thing normally is to paste it into your message, and use the "List" button to wrap it into a scrollable window.

so I send it by Email to you. I hope it gives you a hint whats wrong with my FSUIPC

It just arrived. There's nothing wrong with your FSUIPC. The reason the first [General] section doesn't work is because it looks like this:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^[General]

History=UCH8GVFF0AQ9AR8HWG9TM

TCASid=Tail

TCASrange=40

Section names must have the line to themselves. Windows won't like all those ^^^^^ you've put in front.

The rest of it looks okay. You have quite a few Buttons already programmed, Axes assigned, and calibrated. The only reason you are getting the "second" [General] section is because there isn't a recognisable first one.

If you have any suspicions about whether FSUIPC is "working" or not, the INI file isn't the place to look. you should look at the Log file, as i said before.

Regards

Pete

Pete, thanks for your advice. I removed the signs (^) in front of "General" and since then I have only one section. But the fact is that I didnt insert these signs and I do not know why or caused by which action they appeared. But nevertheless I will check this item when I get further problems.

Regards Guenther

Pete, thanks for your advice. I removed the signs (^) in front of "General" and since then I have only one section. But the fact is that I didnt insert these signs and I do not know why or caused by which action they appeared. But nevertheless I will check this item when I get further problems.

Regards Guenther

If you using a version of FSUIPC which you downloaded from the Updates announcement here, I strongly advise you to download the latest, posted early this morning. I found and fixed a recent (within the week) bug which can severely corrupt the INI file.

Not the sort of corruption you obtained though -- that sort usually arises when folks load a file for viewing, then don't realise that perhaps a book or a cat sat on one of the keys, and then when they come to exit from the viewer it prompts them to save the changed document and they automatically do it! ;-)

Regards

Pete