The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC forgets my Joysticks

Hello Mr Dowson,

in this seconds I send you my *.ini file - undemanded, but I hope thats ok...

Would be too long to place it here.

Since this evening FSUIPC forgets my Joystick every time I load a new airplane or FSX.

I have several times assigned the axis again and again, but every time I start FSX new, my Axis are away.

I have a Saitek X52 Pro, two(!) Saitek Throttle Quadrants and a Logitech Extrem 3D which is "modificated" as a switch panel

I have deleted any entry in the controls - standard.XML regarding the joysticks.

That worked perfectly the last weeks...

Today I was updating to 4.436

I was flying an hour, also with different airplanes an from one moment to another my controls failed. I haven't made any changes to FSUIPC.

Via System settings in Vista, everything is ok.

And when I assign my Joysticks new, then they will work, too.

But when I load another plane or restart FSX the Joysticks are unassigned... with the exception of the mixture lever which is one lever of the saitek throttle quadrant.

I have updatet now to 4.437 but without any efford.

I hope you can find sth in my *.ini file....

I'm totally scared....???

Thank you very much!

Edit: all other joystick-buttons, switches, etc worj as they should. It is just with the axis

Edit2: I forgot one important thing: clicking on "reload all assignment" at the axis page will let FSX crash to desktop.

I have never tried this before, so I don't know if its happend before, too...

Since this evening FSUIPC forgets my Joystick every time I load a new airplane or FSX.

I have several times assigned the axis again and again, but every time I start FSX new, my Axis are away.

I think FSUIPC is not forgetting anything, but you have a problem:

AutoAssignLetters=Yes

1=Logitech Extreme 3D

2=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant

3=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant

0=Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller

A=Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller

B=Logitech Extreme 3D

C=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant

D=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant

Your two quadrants have exactly the same name. I suspect all that is happening here is that one time C equates to 2, and another C equates to 3.

Auto-assigning, as you have done, is probably not a good idea when you have identical units to deal with.

You need to assign C and D directly to the numbers so they don't get reassigned:

A=Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller

B=Logitech Extreme 3D

C=2

D=3

It may be correct like that, or maybe it should be C=3 and D=2. I cannot tell. You'll have to check by looking, or just try one then the other.

Ideally FSUIPC shouldn't keep changing -- maybe I should make it check for duplicated names, and deal with them somehow -- maybe at least keep numerical order = alphabetical order. This won't help if you ever unplug them and plug them in again, unfortunately.

The only other way I could deal with it would be to use the GUID identifiers for the devices, as FS does I think. But I really hate those -- although they are certainly unique, you cannot tell what they are. Not only that, but I think they change in any case if you unplug them and plug them in again, so it deteats the purpose still.

No, I'll look at just keeping order.

The problem I have is testing. I have only a couple of cheap joysticks which I use for tersting. All my real stuff is PFC serial port equipment driven by my own drivers. Maybe if i make an order check on assignments to duplicates you can test it for me?

That worked perfectly the last weeks...

Today I was updating to 4.436

I was flying an hour, also with different airplanes an from one moment to another my controls failed. I haven't made any changes to FSUIPC.

When did you set "AutoAssignLetters=Yes"?

When you say "from one moment to another my controls failed" you surely only mean when changing aircraft, so making FSUIPC re-read the assignments?

When you sayt yyour "controls", you surely mean only those on the two Flight Quadrants?

Edit2: I forgot one important thing: clicking on "reload all assignment" at the axis page will let FSX crash to desktop.

I have never tried this before, so I don't know if its happend before, too...

Ouch! Really? That IS badI must find that. Can you please provide any more details. Does Windows show a message? Can you get the Module name and Offset?

Regards

Pete

Okay. My diagnosis was wrong -- FSUIPC already does match names in the same order each time.

I think your lost axes assignments came about for the same reason as the crash you experienced when reloading all axis assignments. The routine to check and revise those assignments was in error. :shock:

In fact the error was in the INI file handling routines, and could make corruptions in other parts of the INI file too. :oops: :oops:

I am sorry about that. I have fixed the error in versions 4.438 and 3.874, now available in the Updates announcement. Please update your copy. I'm afraid you will need to rebuild your assignments -- unless, hopefully, you have a backup?

Pease confirm that you get it back up working okay with the new version.

And apologies again. i don't very often let a serious error like that escape. Luckily it only affected the updates over the last few days.

Regards

Pete

Hello Mr Dowson,

thank you very, very much!

No need to apologize. You make a great work!

Everything works now as it should with the new version!

But one thing:

Your posting times are about 1 o'clock and 4:46 am....?

Do you have another timezone?

If not, please care about your sleep! ;-)

Everything works now as it should with the new version!

Good! I am so relieved! ;-)

Your posting times are about 1 o'clock and 4:46 am....?

Do you have another timezone?

If not, please care about your sleep! ;-)

No, I am in the UK, the times were between 12 midnight and 3:46 am. I can never sleep on a serious problem, not unless I have the solution in mind -- and then I can only leave fixing it till morning if no one is dependent on it. This one was so serious I had to pull the Updates off the Server till I fixed it!

Regards

Pete

the times were between 12 midnight and 3:46 am

I was afraid about it and feel a little bit guilty...

Don't read in this forum after ten o'clock in the evening, make yourself a nice cup of tea and take a long sleep!

FlightSim couldn't be so important that you have to sit over a "problem" all the night!

:wink:

FlightSim couldn't be so important that you have to sit over a "problem" all the night!

:wink:

Please don't worry about it. My brain has always been more agile at night! I make all my mistakes in the mornings and fix all my bugs at night! I should really only ever programme at night, then I wouldn't make so many! ;-)

Regards

Pete