The simFlight Network Forums

Very sensible trim in fs planes

hi

there is any way to make less sensitive the touch of the trim in FS planes?

for example, in a FS cessna, one point of trim makes a big movement in the pitch.In the reality, the movement is smoother.

there is any way to fix that VIA FSUIPC?

for the trim i have goflight modules Gear and trim and also trim buttons in my real 737 yoke.

thanks a lot

for example, in a FS cessna, one point of trim makes a big movement in the pitch.In the reality, the movement is smoother.

One point? What is one point? The trim runs from -16383 to +16383. That's a full 32766 possible steps between trim full nose down and full nose up. Are you saying that isn't enough?

Or are you referring to the key press? Fs organises that to be quite a small change with separate presses, but two or more fast presses, or holding it down, speeds it up. Otherwise you'd take a long time to deal with major attitude changes after flap, gear or engine changes.

there is any way to fix that VIA FSUIPC?

For a trim axis or a pair of trim buttons or sprung lever switch?

For a trim axis (e.g a trim wheel) you'd calibrate with a flatter central area, via the slopes facility.

For a pair of buttons or a rocker lever, where you are assigning trim up and down controls, you could use the Offset access controls in FSUIPC to assign a smaller increment / decrement. Using that way you could even use the single units, giving you 32766 steps as I said.

Look in the FSUIPC User Guide, the section on programming the buttons. Just after the part about Offset controls there's a boxed section which uses this specific case as an example!

Regards

Pete

in my case, i have trim buttons in the yoke and also i have a goflight module with trim

for the buttons of the yoke, i have it configurate it with key assigment of the numeric pad.

if i do it with the fs function will be smoother?

i don´t know where to put the values you told me about the offsets.i´m looking the 28-30 pages from the user guide, but really i don´t understand it

what i have in fsuipc is a list with all the events of fs. views,engines,..... that is in buttons+switches (select fs control)

thanks

"""

Offset Increment/Decrement Controls The increment/decrement controls operate on signed (Sbyte, Sword) or unsigned values (Ubyte, Uword), and have a more complex parameter that specifies both the increment/decrement (always positive) and a limit, thus: / This allows things like Trim adjustments to be programmed to be whatever speed you like, or even multiple speed if you have enough buttons or levers to spare. Taking Trim as the example: The elevator trim is a signed WORD at offset x0BC0. For this sort of information you'd need the Programmer's Guide in the FSUIPC SDK. Its range is –16383 (full trim down) to 16383 (full trim up). So, when programming your button/levers:

1. Select the "Offset SWord Increment" control to program the nose up trim.

2. Enter x0BC0, or just xBC0 into the offset edit box.

3. Enter 256/16383 in the parameter box. The 256 is the increment and 16383 is the limit. This will give 128 steps between –16383 and +16383 inclusive (32768 / 256 = 128). If you want a faster, coarser trim adjustment specify a larger increment, and of course vice versa for a slower, finer adjustment.

4. You'll probably want it repeating whilst held, so check that too (but never set repeat for rotary switches which can be left in an „on‟ position, nor latching switches).

5. Do the same for the decrement, with a parameter of 256/–16383 (–16383 being the lower limit). Note that the decrement is still positive—you can only provide positive numbers for this part. It is the definition of increment or decrement which controls the addition or subtraction.

6. When reviewing such assignments you may see the parameters showing in hexadecimal (preceded by ‗x‘). This is an optional way of inputting these in the first place, just as with the offsets.

"""""

where i find in fsuipc the place to do that?

for the buttons of the yoke, i have it configurate it with key assigment of the numeric pad.

if i do it with the fs function will be smoother?

Key assignments to buttons aren't very good in any case. All keys are assigned in FS to FS controls, so your button is converting to a key which is converting to a control -- so why not assign to a control in the first place?

i don´t know where to put the values you told me about the offsets.i´m looking the 28-30 pages from the user guide, but really i don´t understand it

what i have in fsuipc is a list with all the events of fs. views,engines,..... that is in buttons+switches (select fs control)

Which part of the numbered steps given didn't you understand? Look:

1. Select the "Offset SWord Increment" control to program the nose up trim.

THAT is one of the controls in the drop-down list you mention!!! All the controls are in alphabetic order, so it easy enough to find! After getting the drop-down just press the O (letter o) key and it will go nearly to the one you want already! Once you select it you will clearly see where to put the offset and parameter values!

This is so easy, really. Please tell me what it is you still don't understand? I really cannot help any more that giving the precise step-by-step instructions which are as listed in the document. Is it the English language which is the problem? If so, have you anyone who can translate for you?

Pete

now my buttons works perfectly

thank you very much

now is much more realistic

i have another little problem with my yoke

when i move form center to left the plane moves faster than when i go to the right

in the axis page of fsuipc i can see that the range goes from 15900 in the left and -12000 to the right

actually i calibrate it from mwindows aplication.

with the fs menu i have a little dead zone

the delta is 256

what can i do?

when i move form center to left the plane moves faster than when i go to the right

in the axis page of fsuipc i can see that the range goes from 15900 in the left and -12000 to the right

actually i calibrate it from mwindows aplication.

with the fs menu i have a little dead zone

As the FSUIPC User Guide clearly points out, you should sent Sensitivity to max, Dead Zone to minimum, in FS, if you are calibrating FS axes in FSUIPC.

the delta is 256

What delta? The FSUIPC delta only applies if you are assigning axes in FSUIPC. You said you were using the dead zone in FS, which means you are assigning in FS.

If you want any assistance you need to be more specific, please. And try looking things up in the documentation.

Regards

Pete

hi pete

is necesary to have assigned via fs menu the yoke to be able to calibrate from FSUIPC? i think yes because if not, i could not set sensitivity at maximum and the null zone at minimum

in my case, is necesary to do this?:

For more predictable responses from your joystick, consider editing the FS CFG file and adding:

STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0

what slope doi have to choose for a fast response? +15 or -15

as i told you, the problem is that the turn in one side is faster than in the other. could be because is not centered (15900 in the left and -12000 to the right)

changing the slope will be enough?

thanks miguel

is necesary to have assigned via fs menu the yoke to be able to calibrate from FSUIPC? i think yes because if not, i could not set sensitivity at maximum and the null zone at minimum

No.

If you asssign only in FSUIPC, then you disable the controls altogether in FS and the sensitivity and null zone are then totally irrelevant. If you assign in FS you must set those sliders as suggested, before calibrating in FSUIPC. The choice is yours.

in my case, is necesary to do this?:

For more predictable responses from your joystick, consider editing the FS CFG file and adding:

STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0

Not necessary, just recommended, exactly as it says.

what slope doi have to choose for a fast response? +15 or -15

You select the slope to suit your needs. There aren't just the two extremes, but 29 other settings in between! I wouldn't recommend either extreme as you suggest, but it is up to you. Why not start with it flat (0) and see how it feels, then adjust it and so on. Only YOU can tell how you want it to be!!

as i told you, the problem is that the turn in one side is faster than in the other. could be because is not centered (15900 in the left and -12000 to the right)

Ignore the numbers, do it by feel. Calibrate it to suit yourself. I cannot instruct you. I provide the tools, you use them to make your system the way you like it.

Note that if the potentiometer in your yoke is really too far offset from centre you would be best throwing it away and buying a new one, or get it fixed if possible. It could be that the internal adjustment is bad.

Pete