The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC assigned Joy #'s in buttons + switches

Pete: Quick question. When using GoFlight modules with mouse macros, FSUIPC assigns a Joy # (in butons + switches) when these modules are programmed. For some reason, when I have added an additional GoFlight module, the original assigned Joy #'s gets changed. I have found myself editing FSUIPC.ini in order to keep the same functions with the previously assigned module.This obviously takes quite a bit of tim especially when the modules are set up for several different planes. Is there a way to edit the Joy # back to its original # so that I do not have to keep editing FSUIPC.ini? Thanks, Al

When using GoFlight modules with mouse macros, FSUIPC assigns a Joy # (in butons + switches) when these modules are programmed. For some reason, when I have added an additional GoFlight module, the original assigned Joy #'s gets changed.

Only with identical units -- the numbers depend on the order in which they are enumerated by the GoFlight driver (GFdev.dll), which probably depends on which USB socket they get plugged into. Different types of module have different reserved joystick numbers in FSUIPC so they wouldn't get changed.

I have found myself editing FSUIPC.ini in order to keep the same functions with the previously assigned module.This obviously takes quite a bit of tim especially when the modules are set up for several different planes. Is there a way to edit the Joy # back to its original # so that I do not have to keep editing FSUIPC.ini? Thanks, Al

Not with GoFlight units -- in the current versions of FSUIPC you can assign LETTERS to named Windows joysticks (0-15), but the GoFlight units are numbered according to the GoFlight driver's designations only.

it would be a darn sight easier to swap the USB plugs over than to edit the INI file, of course.

BTW this sort of problem must apply to GoFlight's own assignment system? As far as I can tell identical modules are indistinguishable except via the USB connection.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete. But why, after installing only one additional module, would all the others change? Why isn't the new one just assigned a new # and leave the others as they were before? The original USB conections were not altered. Al

Thanks Pete. But why, after installing only one additional module, would all the others change? Why isn't the new one just assigned a new # and leave the others as they were before? The original USB conections were not altered. Al

Are these all the same type of module? If not, you have a real big puzzle there as I'm sure they are all ennumerated separately, by type.

If they all changed it is probable that the new connection happened to be the first in the USB scanning system, however that works. You'd probably needed really to move all the others "up" one and put the new one at the end . The problem is, of course, you don't know which socket is which in terms of how Windows counts them.

This sort of query would be best addressed to GoFlight really, as they must presumably know about USB and their driver. FSUIPC can only deal with the identities it is provided, and if the new number 1 is number 1, then it is number 1. And so on. How can it know that the new number 1 is supposed to be number 4 or whatever? There's absolutely no way to differentiate like modules apart from their identity as supplied by their driver.

Pete

Pete: 5 are RP48s and 1 is a GF-T8.

I was interested if you might know simple solution to this. Maybe something that had come up before. Appreciate your quick reply as always.

But quite honestly, editing the FSUIPC.in file is pretty simple. Took me less than 5 minutes for each plane.

At least I know I will not be adding any more modules for some time. Maybe never at this point. Don't really need any more.

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks. Al

5 are RP48s and 1 is a GF-T8.

Well, the T8 shouldn't have changed -- T8's and RP48's are assigned different groups of joystick numbers in FSUIPC.

I was interested if you might know simple solution to this. Maybe something that had come up before.

No, it hasn't come up before. And, of course, It would not always result in everything changing -- that's just bad luck. If the existing units were all in the USB chain/sequence before the last one you added, then I think none of the existing ones would have changed. Seems your setup was the reverse -- if you are using a hub for them all, maybe they are all plugged in starting at the "wrong" end in this respect.

Regards

Pete

You are correct. I do have two 4 port hubs and to change USB connections at this point is not an great option for me.

Since I am now up and running again and I do not plan t make any additions at this point, I think I will leave well enough alone.

Thanks Pete. Al