The simFlight Network Forums

FSX - Erratic wind speed

I would like to know if there is any feature in FSUIPC that might fix this unusual problem.

For some time I have stuggled with erratic wind direction and speed unlike anything I have experienced in 10 years of flying the sim. The direction goes two degrees back and forth and the speed two knots up and down - constantly, in less than half a second. The IAS and TAS are in the result unstable and if the autopilot/autothrottle are engaged they are unstable.

The problem can be overcome initially by enabling turbulence (unchecking the box in Options\Display\Wx). But at higher altitutes the wind speed, but not the direction, continues to be erratic. The problem is not continuous but occurs much of the time in a climb or a descent.

I am flying the PMDG MD-11 but the problem occurs with the default aircraft as well. I run Active Sky Advanced but the problem occurs with FS Wx as well, although significantly not with all of the options.

I run Vista 32 on two a computer network: Q/6600 2.4, 800 GTS, for the FS box.

I am defeated in my efforts to resolve the problem and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

This is mainly an FSX SimConnect issue. Pete and Damian from HiFi started letting Microsoft know about this issue with what Pete, Beta 1 of FSX?

One help is if you have a registered copy of FSUIPC to use the wind shift speed and direction settings and slow the process down.

Another thing is to know that we at HiFi are continuing to work on this issue for ASA.

Thanks,

For some time I have stuggled with erratic wind direction and speed unlike anything I have experienced in 10 years of flying the sim. The direction goes two degrees back and forth and the speed two knots up and down - constantly, in less than half a second.

Always 2 knots and 2 degrees? I've not heard of anything like that, though FS's turbulence is not terrible well implemented.

Are you using FSUIPC at all? A lot of work was done within the FSUIPC wind smoothing facilities to get realistic turbulence emulated, and the algorithm used was well tested with PMDG aircraft, which appear rather sensitive to such things.

The problem can be overcome initially by enabling turbulence (unchecking the box in Options\Display\Wx). But at higher altitutes the wind speed, but not the direction, continues to be erratic. The problem is not continuous but occurs much of the time in a climb or a descent.

Sounds like you are talking about default FSX weather settings. There are well known errors in the wind implementation in FSX -- carried forward from FS9, in fact, but probably more noticeable because FSUIPC's smoothing did work 100% in FS9, whereas it can't quite achieve that in FSX.

I am defeated in my efforts to resolve the problem and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I can only suggest investing in FSUIPC4 and using the wind smoothing facilities. They seem to have been well received.

Regards

Pete

Thank you both. I have FSUIPC 4.4 registered (I thought everone did), but I use it primarily for joystick functions. My problem started about two months ago and I have tried FSUIPC smoothing to overcome it with no change. Ultimately I ran the FS repair but then the program would not start. So I reinstalled FSX, but again no change. The only thing that seems to have any positive effect at all is enabling turbulence, but even then the very rapid fluctuation in wind speed persists and screws up the airspeed, the power, the fuel flow, etc. I think it must be a curse.

Peter.

I have FSUIPC 4.4 registered

Versdion 4.50 is the oldest currently supported version.

My problem started about two months ago and I have tried FSUIPC smoothing to overcome it with no change.

Hmmm. No idea what that is, then. What changed two months ago? You need to track that down.

The only thing that seems to have any positive effect at all is enabling turbulence

this is enabling turbulence in FSX, or in FSUIPC? Have you tried disabling turbulence in FSUIPC?

There are two turbulence sources -- cloud and wind. You might want to disable both.

but even then the very rapid fluctuation in wind speed persists and screws up the airspeed, the power, the fuel flow, etc.

Normal turbulence effects should not screw up any of those things except when they are fairly extreme -- even real aircraft don't react kindly to extreme turbulence. You'd need to fly above or below such regions.

Regards

Pete

What changed two months ago? At my age two weeks ago is a challenge. However, I tried surpressing/disabling turbuence in both wind and clouds in FSUIPC as you suggested Pete as well as in FS and that may have fixed me. I did three flights today - KMEM/KORD - with different Wx configurations (Stormy Wx, Cold Fronts, and ASA online) with no wind speed problem. I am reluctant to pronouce the problem solved because that would insure it is not, but things are looking much better. Thank you for your interest and suggestions.

Peter.

• 10 months later...