The simFlight Network Forums

Steering tiller and flight controls check

Hi Pete, I tried the feature of FSUIPC (FS9) that blends the steering tiller with the rudder, based on the ground speed.

The problem is when I do the flight controls check on ground before taxi. The aircraft does not move, and the steering tiller is at 100%, thus if I move the rudder pedals to do the controls check, the rudder doesn't move at all.

Is there a way to overcome this problem?

Thank you.

James

Hi Pete, I tried the feature of FSUIPC (FS9) that blends the steering tiller with the rudder, based on the ground speed.

The problem is when I do the flight controls check on ground before taxi. The aircraft does not move, and the steering tiller is at 100%, thus if I move the rudder pedals to do the controls check, the rudder doesn't move at all. Is there a way to overcome this problem?

In FS the steering tiller controls the rudder (there's no nose wheel control), so one way is to check the rudder using the tiller instead.

There is another offset I provided for Project Magenta to read for the rudder, which reflects the rudder input even when it is the steering tiller controlling the rudder. I don't know what software you are using to display the controls but maybe it can use that too?

It was suggested by one user that I could let the pedals control the rudder whilst stationary, and suddenly change to 100% tiller as soon as there's any ground speed, but I fear this will give odd results (the changes won't be instantaneously coincident) whilst taxiing and braking, and in any case most experts I've talked to say that these checks are most often performed WHILST taxiing, so that wouldn't be any good after all.

Regards

Pete

There is another offset I provided for Project Magenta to read for the rudder, which reflects the rudder input even when it is the steering tiller controlling the rudder. I don't know what software you are using to display the controls but maybe it can use that too?

I don't know, I use is a yoke, Saitek rudder pedals and CH Pro Throttle, all USB. Then LDS 767 and FSUIPC. All I would like to do is moving the pedals for controls check and having the rudder move. Do you think I could use that offset?

Thank you.

I don't know, I use is a yoke, Saitek rudder pedals and CH Pro Throttle, all USB. Then LDS 767 and FSUIPC. All I would like to do is moving the pedals for controls check and having the rudder move. Do you think I could use that offset?

For the visible rudder, the control surface, to move, you mean? Are you checking this from outside the aircraft? How do you operate the pedals from outside? ;-)

No, there is no way to make the rudder control surface move when the rudder control in FS isn't operated -- unless Level D have a trick they can operate for you.

If you have the tiller driving the rudder, as you said you have, check your rudder with that. Otherwise use the rudder for steering and disable the tiller.

Regards

Pete

No, not the control surface, I don't see it from the cockpit. I just see the rudder indicator on the EICAS display that moves when I use the tiller, and that is not realistic.

At this point I think there is no solution :( .

Thank you anyway, Pete.