The simFlight Network Forums

problem with calibrated speedbrakes and cowlflaps

Hello Mr Dowson,

it's me again with "trouble" again ;-)

I'm Betatester for an Airplane (don't know if I' allowed to say which one) and I have a problem with this airplane, and a similar one with the B377 from A2A.

The Betaplane uses the "speedbrake" in a way to simulate cowlflap drag (when cowlflaps 100% open)

I have assigned different profiles in FSUIPC for FSX latest Version.

Also profiles for some Jets, where my throttle quadrant's mixture is assigned to Speedbrake

(default for all planes is mixture; for the jets its speedbrake)

And I have of course calibrated the speedbrakethrottle via FSUIPC

I have also deleted any throttle entry in the standard controls.xml.

Now, when I fly with this Betaplane, I can't speed up.

When I press "#" (speedbrake), then everthing works as it should.

Note: the plane have no speedbrake apart from this coded cowlflap drag

I use the normal profile for this plane, so mixture on the lever and no speedbrake is assigned to any throttle

I have found out if I delete the speedbrake calibration in FSUIPC everything works.

Similar problem with the 377:

here with the cowl flaps.

I have assigned to another plane two levers for the cowlflaps and calibrated them via FSUIPC

the 377 uses the standard plane profile with mixture and NO cowlflaps assigned to any lever

But the cowlflaps 1 and 2 (the calibrated) are everytime minimum to 50% Can't move them down.

I found out here, if I delete the calibration of the cowl flaps, everything work as it should with the 377.

I have no idea if its my fault or FSUIPCs fault?

ok, these are complex planes, but I think that just the calibration shouldn't affect the planes function?!

Hopefully you can understand my english. I have doe my best.

And please don't waste your easter holidays for this.... I can wait.

If you want I can send you my FSUIPC.ini via mail.

Many greetings and thanks,

Guenter

Now, when I fly with this Betaplane, I can't speed up.

When I press "#" (speedbrake), then everthing works as it should.

Note: the plane have no speedbrake apart from this coded cowlflap drag

I use the normal profile for this plane, so mixture on the lever and no speedbrake is assigned to any throttle

I have found out if I delete the speedbrake calibration in FSUIPC everything works.

If that is the case then you cannot be right when you say "no speedbrake is assigned to any throttle". Something is operating the speedbrake. The calibration is being applied if removing it fixes things. Why are you calibrating axes for aircraft which don't use them?

Use Axis logging in FSUIPC to find out what. And review your [JoystickCalibration ...] sections. You are evidently getting mixed up regarding which does what if deleting entries does unexpected things.

I have assigned to another plane two levers for the cowlflaps and calibrated them via FSUIPC

the 377 uses the standard plane profile with mixture and NO cowlflaps assigned to any lever

But the cowlflaps 1 and 2 (the calibrated) are everytime minimum to 50% Can't move them down.

I found out here, if I delete the calibration of the cowl flaps, everything work as it should with the 377.

Same again.

The calibration in one [JoystickCalibration. ...] section of the INI file cannot possibly affect the operation of that function if another [JoystickCalibration. ...] section is in use, as only one of them is read at a time, according to the aircraft or profile in use.

ok, these are complex planes, but I think that just the calibration shouldn't affect the planes function?!

If the calibration is enabled for that aircraft then it will certainly apply inputs on that axis.

If you want I can send you my FSUIPC.ini via mail.

I don't need it for now, but look at it yourself. What aircraft or profile section are you having to remove the calibration for? If it is the one for the aircraft you are having problems with, then you are right to delete it -- if it isn't in use it should not be there!

Regards

Pete

I will have a look in it and test it once again and compare the *.ini before and after the changes.

Ah .. so you aren't deleting the calibration in the INI, but doing it by pressing the "Reset" button (so that it reads "Set") in the Calibration tab?

This certainly suggests that the calibration is actually selected fro that aircraft. Maybe you've not made calibrations aircraft or profile-specific? If not, then the calibration part will be calibrating the FS controls (there being no direct FS assignments, as you've removed those, you said). I think your aircraft are using those FS controls, and they are being calibrated in FSUIPC because you have told it to. Merely making Axis Assignments aircraft or profile specific does not stop the calibrations working if you've not done the same there!

Aircraft/Profile specific settings can be applied to Axis Assignments, Calibrations, Buttons and Keys. It sounds like you've made an attempt to make some specific changes, but haven't gone far enough. In particular the calibrations are normally closely associated with the assignments, so if you change one you should usually change the other.

Regards

Pete

ok, of course the fault was on my side.

I haven't calibrated via profiles...

I just have calibrated without setting it to profile specific...

every day with FSUIPC is a stunning day with learning sth new ;-)

thanks for your fast support as always!