The simFlight Network Forums

FSX Failures via FSUIPC

Hey,

I'm using vb.net & FSUIPC to communicate with FSX.

I'm making a failure generator of some kind and getting in some trouble with some of the failures exists in FSX.

As I understand from the documents all failures are launched by writting 1 to the correct offset.

I'm having some trouble with some of the failures though:

Pitot at 0B71 - doesn't respond.

Com1 at 0B68 - doesn't respond.

Com2 at 3BDB - doesn't respond.

Nav1 at 3BE1 - doesn't respond.

Nav2 at 3BE2 - doesn't respond.

Electrics at 0B6A - doesn't respond.

Vaccum at 0B73 - doesn't respond.

In addition, I haven't found some of the failures even in the documents:

Static port, Rudder, Flaps, Oil leak, Fuel leak, Alieorns and elevator.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Omer.

I'm having some trouble with some of the failures though:

Did you chack the FSX Offsets Status document first, to see if thery were valid?

Pitot at 0B71 - doesn't respond.

Com1 at 0B68 - doesn't respond.

Com2 at 3BDB - doesn't respond.

Nav1 at 3BE1 - doesn't respond.

Electrics at 0B6A - doesn't respond.

Vaccum at 0B73 - doesn't respond.

Okay. As you will see from the document, tor those this is the first feedback I've received since FSX was releases on any of them. So thanks. I should mark them down as non-working then?

Note that 0B68, 0B73, 3BE1 and 3BE2 are already marked as non-writable in the document. The others are said to be writable according to SimConnect documentation. Maybe they only work in the later updates. Are you running FSX SP1 or SP2?

In addition, I haven't found some of the failures even in the documents:

Static port, Rudder, Flaps, Oil leak, Fuel leak, Alieorns and elevator.

There's no provision in FS for those, in that case.

Most programs simulating failures of such things do so by actually implementing the failures in the operation of them. Oil and fuel leaks can probably be most easily implemented by reducing the quantity or pressure, control failures by intercepting the controls in FSUIPC, and so on.

Regards

Pete

(...)

Most programs simulating failures of such things do so by actually implementing the failures in the operation of them. Oil and fuel leaks can probably be most easily implemented by reducing the quantity or pressure, control failures by intercepting the controls in FSUIPC, and so on.

Regards

Pete

Note that my experience is FS9 only.

Fuel leak = "Easy" to implement (just reduce the quantity in small steps), though it's quite easy to crash FS, if you try to set the quantity to an "unsupported" (negative) value by means of a miscalculation (been there, done that ...)

Other leaks (oil, F.I.): from my tests, the quantities and/or pressures *DO* decrease, but with no influence whatsoever on the plane itself: the engines keep on running and no alarms are generated ...

If anyone has ideas on generating failures, I'll be glad to readand share some info on my tests too.

Regards,

Paulo

Other leaks (oil, F.I.): from my tests, the quantities and/or pressures *DO* decrease, but with no influence whatsoever on the plane itself: the engines keep on running and no alarms are generated ...

Yes, you need to not only simulate the cause but also the subsequent symptoms of such problems. Check out some of the Instructor Station programs for what can be done, and, for Project Magenta users, the TSR programs by Thomas Richter.

I think the Lua plug-ins feature in FSUIPC has great potential for creating failures and consequences too, as they run inside the FS process and can use fairly tight loops to override quite a few Simulation things.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your response Pete!

I am using FSX SP2 (I think.. Anywhere I can ensure it?)

Where can I find that FSX Offsets Status document you are talking about?

I have thought about generating the failures myself but had thought maybe there is something builtin because its still some system resources that I can save...

Another issue that I have encountred is that the Ready To Fly flag doesn't apprear to be functional in FSX (always return 0 with FS Interogate) is that true? If so, what can I do instead of it?

Thanks in advance,

Omer.

I am using FSX SP2 (I think.. Anywhere I can ensure it?)

The FSUIPC4 log, and the Installer log, tells you.

Where can I find that FSX Offsets Status document you are talking about?

In the FSUIPC SDK of course. (Where else are you getting your offset data from?).

Another issue that I have encountred is that the Ready To Fly flag doesn't apprear to be functional in FSX

What "ready to fly" flag? If you mean the bytes at FSUIPC offset 3364, they work fine. Many programs use them (including several of my own).

(always return 0 with FS Interogate)

Not here. Anyway, how come you have FSInterrogate if you don't have the SDK? Or maybe you have a very old copy of the SDK before the FSX information was added? for the first few months after FSX release, the FSX SDK additions were available separately, in the Updates and Goodies Announcement here in the Forum. There are still usually later versions of things here.

Pete

Hey pete,

FSUIPC log writes "Running inside FSX (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)" does that mean I running with no SP installed at all?

Yes I did had an old version of the SDK and downloaded a new one which now supplies the Offsets Status as well.

Anyway, I checked via FSInterrogate the offset 3364 - "ready to fly" flag and while FS is in the main menu it still returns 0

Thanks in advance,

Omer.

FSUIPC log writes "Running inside FSX (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)" does that mean I running with no SP installed at all?

No, it means you have up to SP2 -- it does actually say that, see? "Acc/SP2" means Acceleration or SP2 (the Simconnect's are the same for both). It's just an abbreviation.

Anyway, I checked via FSInterrogate the offset 3364 - "ready to fly" flag and while FS is in the main menu it still returns 0

And what is FSX doing when you are seeing zero?

It does work. You should be using 3364 and 3365 together, BTW -- together (as a 16-bit word) they cover all cases.

Regards

Pete

When i'm inside a flight im still getting the ready to fly flag in FSInterrogate a 0 value (see picture below).

Yes, of course. That is absolutely correct! When FS is ready to fly both 3364 and 3365 are zero. That's the whole point. have you not even read the description for these offsets?

Regards

Pete

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Im looking for a way to generate on-line instrument failures for an experiment on virtual pilots. I want to create failures from same computer on a different screen.

Your application hopefully does that, if not can you suggest me anything?

Regards,

Orkan