The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC causes FS to freeze!

Hello Peter

I have downloaded the latest FSUIPC version, and a fresh install on my pc with XP 64Bits. But when i try to register my FSUIPC version, FS freezes when clicking "Register FSUIPC" .

Crashes to desktop.

I removed all files, installed it again but still the same.

Strange thing is, everytime i start up my FS2004 it rebuilds scenery database etc. And when in a aircraft clickint TAB to enter the FS menu, you will see links called "MODULES" .

Can you our somebody help me out? I would like to register it, because then i can set my Flight Yoke System to correct settings...

Regards Peter

I have downloaded the latest FSUIPC version, and a fresh install on my pc with XP 64Bits. But when i try to register my FSUIPC version, FS freezes when clicking "Register FSUIPC" .

Crashes to desktop.

That's always turned out to be a video driver problem in full screen mode. Try changing to Windowed mode first (ALT+ENTER). That seems to work every time --- so far.

Strange thing is, everytime i start up my FS2004 it rebuilds scenery database etc. And when in a aircraft clickint TAB to enter the FS menu, you will see links called "MODULES" .

All that will be something else added -- many add-ons add the "modules" entry.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Well i tried a lot of things like:

Not in full display so pressing ALT+ENTER

Removed the videocard drivers tryed, no succes

Installed fresh the videocard drivers, no succes

Reinstalled the no cd fix and tryed, no succes

all options in full and not full screen mode.

So i think i'm running out of options here?

Peter

Well i tried a lot of things like:

Not in full display so pressing ALT+ENTER

Removed the videocard drivers tryed, no succes

Installed fresh the videocard drivers, no succes

Reinstalled the no cd fix and tryed, no succes

all options in full and not full screen mode.

Well, This is a first. FS2004 and FSUIPC3 have been out now for nearly 6 years with no such problems. something is screwed up somewhere.

The registration dialogue is a standard Windows dialogue using standard Windows API calls. No tricks, no nothing. It's quite astounding that normal run-of-the-mill standard Windows code could be unnrunable on one machine in thousands. Something is certainly clashing or interfering somehow. We need to see what's in the list of Processes which is causing this, maybe by a process of elimination.

On thing to try first, if you haven't yet. I can't see what difference it makes on XP, but maybe XP 64 is different in this regard. Run FS9 "as administrator". That is right click it as select administrator.

Regards

Pete

Hi,

Well i don't know why this is not working. I had a clean install of my XP because it was running full with loads of ....

Before it worked GREAT! No problem....

Well i'm the only user on this pc and running as a administrator. But mayby it missing something, the thing you wrote is that on the FS9.exe right mouse click our something?

Need to help me a bit, i'm not really getting it what you mean... sorry :oops:

I'm verry curious at this, what is causing the problem... never had something like this.

Hope we can find the problem..

ciao Peter

Well i'm the only user on this pc and running as a administrator.

That's not relevant.

But mayby it missing something, the thing you wrote is that on the FS9.exe right mouse click our something?

Right click on FS9, or the icon you use to run it, and select "run as", then explicitly select "administrator". This gives the program a higher level of privilege, called "elevated administrator" -- at least that's how it is on Vista.

I don't really know XP 64 -- I avoided it because a lot of folks said it had many problems, especially with drivers. I switched to 64-bit with Vista, which is pretty good, but am now using the Windows 7 Release Candidate 64-bit version which, so far, I can say is really good -- faster than XP or vista.

I'm verry curious at this, what is causing the problem... never had something like this.

Nor has anyone else, judging by the complete lack of such reports until yours. This is why I'm suspecting something else interfering -- unless it's a real bug in XP 64.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Well

Right click on FS9, or the icon you use to run it, and select "run as", then explicitly select "administrator". This gives the program a higher level of privilege, called "elevated administrator" -- at least that's how it is on Vista.

This function is not in XP our XP 64bits. I think it is a real Vista function.

The strange thing is, when the fault occurs, fs now freeses. I can close it by Windows Task Manager, then the fault display appears with the choice of sending the fault our not.

You want the info that is given in this screen?

I will try here to remove and reinstall Direct X. Sometimes Direct X is causing problems as well.

Peter

This function is not in XP our XP 64bits. I think it is a real Vista function.

Well, I am using XP 32 here, on my usual Internet PC, and if I right click on a program or program shortcut I get, as the third item in the pop up menu, "Run as ...". then if I click that I get the options to run as "current user" (which is me, the only user), or "the following user" of which there is always at least "Administrator".

Vista is, indeed, simpler here, with "Run as administrator" as one of the direct options.

The strange thing is, when the fault occurs, fs now freeses. I can close it by Windows Task Manager, then the fault display appears with the choice of sending the fault our not.

You want the info that is given in this screen?

Well, you can do. I'll take a look. But I'm pretty sure it'll be deep in Windows someplace.

I will try here to remove and reinstall Direct X. Sometimes Direct X is causing problems as well.

Okay. Let me know.

Regards

Pete

Well things happend overhere:

First 3 attempts still the same but now when i started FS there was a pop up saying:

"FSUIPC PROBLEM!

PLEASE REMOVE OLDER COPIES!

NEVER SIMPLY RENAME MODULES,

REMOVE THEM OUT OF THE MODULE FOLDER"

Well i was looking, but still i have only one FSUIPC in the module folder... the newest one i downloaded a couple a days ago.

Mayby this will help us more?

But the other message were a Hangup in FS9.exe as windows calls it.

Peter

... but now when i started FS there was a pop up saying:

"FSUIPC PROBLEM!

PLEASE REMOVE OLDER COPIES!

NEVER SIMPLY RENAME MODULES,

REMOVE THEM OUT OF THE MODULE FOLDER"

Well i was looking, but still i have only one FSUIPC in the module folder

Yes, FSUIPC seems to detect other copies of FSUIPC already running even when they are in a different process. I don't know how -- but it looks the same internally as if there are two loaded.

Use the Task Manager and forcibly close the FS9 process which has hung.

Regards

Pete

Good evening Pete

I too have just found that FS9 freezes when trying to register. Up until now Fs9 has been working without any crashes or freezes so I'm a little bit puzzled as to why it does now that I bought the registered version.

I'm using windows xp with sp 3 and have removed the old FSUIPC modules and text file and re installed it.

Unfortunately it's too late for me now to stay up and sort it out, but I'll get going on it again in the morning.

Is there any other way of registering FSUIPC without starting FS9?

Best wishes

Nigel

I too have just found that FS9 freezes when trying to register.

Can you please explain this in a little more detail? Like EXACTLY when does it "freeze"? And do you really mean a freeze (hang), or do you mean a crash to desktop, because despite the title of the thread, that's what this one is about.

And are you in full screen or windowed mode? If you've not tried the other, do so please.

Is there any other way of registering FSUIPC without starting FS9?

No, not at present. There's no installer written for FSUIPC3, which is what it would need. And really it never has been needed -- there's a specific and rare video driver problem which causes a known sort of freeze/hang, and there's a work-around for that. And there's a specific problem with one or two other add-in modules, "actigate.dll" being the most usual.

This thread is actually about a crash which is unique to my knowledge and so must be due to something else on the specific system. The problem in that case is identifying what that might be. The user also mentioned that every time he starts up FS2004 it rebuilds scenery database etc. And when in an aircraft clicking TAB to enter the FS menu, he sees links called "MODULES" ! These are surely signs that something is seriously wrong. Are you really getting all these exact symptoms and a crash not a freeeze?

Regards

Pete

Good morning Pete

Thank you for your posts. I have mananged to register FSUIPC now.

I removed the "actigate.dll" and the "Actigate editor" file and that's what was causing the freeze or hang.

I will reinstall those files and see what happens although I imagine it should be alright now that FSUIPC has been registered.

I'm looking forward to callibrating my Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick properly as I've spent two years steering all my favorite airliners like a drunken pilot zig zagging down the runway and bumping into every other aircraft on the way not to mention ploughing across the greens.

Regards

Nigel

I removed the "actigate.dll" and the "Actigate editor" file and that's what was causing the freeze or hang.

Yes, for a hang when the registration dialogue is actually displayed, awaiting input, the Actigate module seems to be the most common cause. The only other one I know of is a specific Kensington mouse driver.

I've even obtained the Actigate module and tried reproducing the problem here to see what Actigate is doing, but I've never been able to reproduce it -- neither has the Actigate author. As I said, it is quite a rare occurrence.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete

Am I right in saying that because I have a force feedback joystick, FSUIPC cannot callibrate it unless I disable the force feedback from within FS9?

In which case perhaps I was a little hasty trying to calibrate it this morning only to find my joystick behaving worse than before.

Maybe I need to search the posts before reading the FSUIPC user guide again.

I did edit the FS9 CFG file and add in "STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0" in the CONTROLS section.

Rgds

Nigel

Am I right in saying that because I have a force feedback joystick, FSUIPC cannot callibrate it unless I disable the force feedback from within FS9?

No, you are not. If you've got the axes assigned in FS, all FSUIPC calibration is really doing is calibrating the Axis control values, internally in the Sim. In other words it is adjusting the final numbers -- the ones FS would be using if you didn't calibrate in FSUIPC -- before they are sent to the simulation engine.

I suspect (though I don't know as I've never had a force feedback setup) is that what you cannot do is use FS axis assignments, telling FS you have no joysticks, and letting FSUIPC do everything. If you do that you probably won't get force feedback as FSUIPC has no force feedback code in it and you would be telling FS you have no joysticks.

In which case perhaps I was a little hasty trying to calibrate it this morning only to find my joystick behaving worse than before.

Well, with FSUIPC's precise calibration facilities, along with its slopes to adjust response, you can just as easily make a mess as you can with any other tool. You need to know what you actually want to achieve.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete for the reply.

What I really should be doing to end the lack of control in steering the aircraft with the nose wheel during taxiing and accelerating down the runway, is to make the twist action on the joystick less sensitive, as the slightest movement causes the wheel to turn almost 90 degrees to the right or left.

I should expereiment with different values during calibration and then select the one I am happiest with.

I'll be very satisfied when I get it right as I have spent more hours on the computer putting in sounds, panels and AFCAD files than I have spent flying.

Thank you for your advice, I'll send you a message announcing my success.

Regards

Nigel

What I really should be doing to end the lack of control in steering the aircraft with the nose wheel during taxiing and accelerating down the runway, is to make the twist action on the joystick less sensitive, as the slightest movement causes the wheel to turn almost 90 degrees to the right or left.

Good grief! What aircraft is that? FS doesn't simulate a steerable nose wheel -- the steering is by rudder authority. You get quite a bit with a light aircraft, but normally much less with a heavy.

If you want less sensitivity in the central part of the joystick movement, yet still need to reach the extremes (which you do), you should try one of the FSUIPC slopes with a flattened central area. You can experiment with different amounts.

If you have a spare axis (maybe another joystick) you can assign a separate steering tiller in FSUIPC's axis assignments and calibrate that separately to the rudder. FSUIPC uses the tiller on the ground at slow speeds, with a gradual transition to rudder as you accelerate for takeoff.

I have spent more hours on the computer putting in sounds, panels and AFCAD files than I have spent flying.

Many (probably most) flight sim enthusiasts do that - spend more time fiddling about, striving for perfection, than flying! This is even more true for those building a cockpit!

Regards

Pete

FS doesn't simulate a steerable nose wheel -- the steering is by rudder authority

I'm sorry, yes you are right of course! I just thought that "it" (the joystick) knew what it was supposed to do!

I fly mainly the Airbus range, from A320's to A340 600's and also most of the

Boeing's fleet, my favourite aircraft is the BOAC Super VC10.

From what you have told me, I think I may have to spend quite some time learning how to calibrate the joystick.

I remember when I first bought and installed the joystick it worked very well including all the rattles and bumps. Whatever I have done since I can't seem to undo even though I've a new computer. I should try using it on another simmers computer just to see if the hardware is damaged.

I appreciate your replies and helpfulness......it urges me on to overcome the joysticks improper behaviour.

Thanks again

Nigel

From what you have told me, I think I may have to spend quite some time learning how to calibrate the joystick.

No, it is easy.Ssimply follow the steps in the User Guide first, to get proper max/min values and, for aileron, elvator and rudder a null zone in the centre so that when you let go you know definitely that the control surfaces neutralise. Then click the slopes button and select a slope with a flattened centre -- not too flat or it will make it harder to fly. (For a jet fighter or stunt plane you'd probably have the reverse -- much fiercer control -- but certainly not for airliners).

Regards

Pete

Thank you for all your help.

I have succeeded in regaining full control whilst taxiing. It makes the hobby so much more enjoyable and appears very realistic.

I disabled the force feedback in order to calibrate the rudder, ailerons and elevator. Having done that I re-enabled the force feedback and although I haven't noticed any bumps, rattles or "force" yet I'm so pleased to be able to steer properly again I don't mind anyway.

Many thanks

Nigel

Well hi there,

Pete, you never guess..... it worked. I was reading the post fo bswallow and was thinking: That module is there with me also, let's give it a try....

and YES, it worked.

Actigate and his other files, causes the hang up of my FS and sometimes system....

Well i would like to thank you for the support. No it's time to calibrate my Saitek pro flight yoke and throttles to flap and speedbrake lever...

Peter