The simFlight Network Forums

ground track?

is there a variable for ground track in fs2002.

Not that I know of. You'd either need to compute it from TAS and ambient wind, or more accurately from the changes in the Latitude/Longitude position. Much as in a real airliner I would think (from the IRS).

Regards,

Pete

is there a variable for ground track in fs2002.

Actually, further on this, in FS2004 it looks like Microsoft have added access to most of the GPS values, including for instance:

GPS_GROUND_SPEED

GPS_GROUND_HEADING

GPS_GROUND_TRACK

so, it is going to be possible for me to expose these, and other GPS things, in the IPC interface.

However, I do not have time to do this yet. I am still catching up with FS2002 compatibility and cannot go searching for new data yet.

So, please remind me in about a month, and I'll see what I can do. Okay?

Of course, I cannot guarantee that they will always be updated. They may only be operative when one of the FS GPS devices is configured into the current panel.

Regards,

Pete

Pete you supply the ground track in your GPSOut utility, how are you calculating that?

Phew, I wrote that years ago. Let me see. It gets the heading, and the wind direction, both in degrees TRUE, reverses the wind direction so you get the direction it's blowing you. Then you need the true air speed (or maybe the ground speed?) and the wind speed, and the rest is vector trig.

I think I looked it up in a book. If you search the 'net there are places with whole collections of aviation and navigational formulae. I just looked at my code and I don't understand any of it, and it looks a complete mess, so I'm not sharing it here. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete