The simFlight Network Forums

Confused: Implementing WideFS????

I feel sure that I am overlooking the obvious and the solution to my short between the ears is probably simple, but I think it is time to tuck my tail between my legs and ask for help.

I have just installed WideFS6 for FS9, and WideFS7 for FSX. Both are registered ok (along with the compatible FSUIPC downloads which I have used for years).

On my client computer/monitor I get a "WideClient FS98 Eliminator - Waiting for a connection" window.

If I understood correctly, two of the programs that can be used in WideFS are FSNav (FS9) and FlightSim Commander (FS9 and/or FSX). so my first attempt is to install and implement these two programs.

My problem is that I don't know how (and possibly where) to install and inititate these programs to get them to play fair. My understanding was that the FS9 and/or FSX programs needed to be installed only on the primary computer, and that the secondary programs (in this case FSNav and FSC) needed to only be installed on the secondary client computer.

When I try to install FSNav on my client computer, one of the first results I get is a window that pop up as follows:

Window one:

"InstallShield Wizard

Choose Destination Location

Select folder where Setup will install files

The Setup will install FSNavigator for FS2004. Type or search the path to the FS2004 folder

C:\Microsoft Games\FS2004

Browse"

The "destination location"is not on this computer, but on the primary. How do I "select" the primary location and move forward in my setup from this point?

The setup for FSC does allow me to install the program which a little farther than I got with FSNav. However, After installing FSC, the first thing that is required is to load the data base ("FSCDbManager80"). When executing this update, the first thing that is requested is: "Please specify path for Flight Simulator manually!" Being that FS9 (and FSX) are on the primary computer, how do I "specify" the location and move forward from this step?

I have ovlooked how to do this in the manual and assume that it is specific to the individual programs one is trying to implement, but I thought that if I could master these two, I could move forward with others thereafter.

Per chance, is there a tutorial for such a scenario, and if so where might I find the link?

Please forgive my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully:

RTH

If I understood correctly, two of the programs that can be used in WideFS are FSNav (FS9) and FlightSim Commander (FS9 and/or FSX). so my first attempt is to install and implement these two programs.

Whilst I'm sure FSCommander can be used via the network, as it is an FSUIPC client application, most certainly FSNav cannot be, and it is an FS Module which runs inside FS and doesn't use or have anything to do with FSUIPC at all.

The setup for FSC does allow me to install the program which a little farther than I got with FSNav. However, After installing FSC, the first thing that is required is to load the data base ("FSCDbManager80"). When executing this update, the first thing that is requested is: "Please specify path for Flight Simulator manually!" Being that FS9 (and FSX) are on the primary computer, how do I "specify" the location and move forward from this step?

I expect FSCommander builds its database by scanning the files, especially the scenery, in your FS installation. It might be able to do it across a Network -- in which case the path to FS would be the path to FS on your other PC (a Network path like \\computername\..., to a folder shared correctly on the FS PC). This communication is via Windows, it is nothing whatsoever to do with FSUIPC and WideFS.

However, I expect it would be much faster to also install FSCommander on the FS PC, generate the data base there, then copy it over to the Client. Questions about all this should be answered somewhere in FSCommander's documentation, help, or on its website. Else ask them for Support.

I'm afraid I don't have and have never used FSCommander, so I cannot help further.

Regards

Pete

I use FSC on a slave pc.

There is a section in the documentation (or on the website, can't remember which) regarding "mounting" the drive in Windows before you can see them in FSC. It is important that each computer can see the relevant folders on the the other pc first, check this in windows explorer.

They must have sharing activated and read and write authorisation accross the network. All this is done via Windows network properties. Only when this is Ok can you insall FSC correctly.

Hope that helps

Den

Thanks for the replies folks:

Thanks to your suggestions, I now have FSC working fine wih FS9. Now to go on to FSX.

If I read another post somewhere correctly, someone is also implementing ProFlight2000 / PFE with WideFS on a secondary computer. If that is workable, I sure will be useing that format as well. If whoever made the post or anyone else has any pointers and advice for that setup, it also would be greatly appreciated.

My system is a bit different from what was applicable to some of the suggestions. I have multiple harddrives. My "E" drive is dedicated to FSX (E:Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X). My "F" drive is dedicated to FS9 (F:Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9).

What worked for me was as follows:

1. Installed FS9 + addons including FSUIPC and WideFS6.

2. Installed FSX + addons including FSUIPC and WideFS7

3. Right clicked Local Disk "E" (My E hard drive on my primary computer. Yours may be different)

4. Selected "Sharing and Security..."

5. Put a checkmark in "Share this folder on the network" with "Share name E".

6. Right clicked Local Disk "F" (My F hard drive on my primary computer. Yours may be different)

7. Selected "Sharing and Security..."

8. Put a checkmark in "Share this folder on the network" with "Share name F".

9. Right click "My Computer" on my secondary computer.

10. Select "Map Network Drive"

11. Left the default "Drive: Z:" as the selected drive.

12. Browsed to and selected: "f on Office (Rogers)" which is the F drive and my primary computer's name. Yours of course will be different.

13. Selected: "F:Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9".

14. Right click "My Computer" on my secondary computer.

15. Select "Map Network Drive"

16. Left the default "Drive: Y:" as the selected drive.

17. Browsed to and selected: "e on Office (Rogers)" which is the E drive and my primary computer's name. Yours of course will be different.

18. Selected: "F:Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X".

Happy Flyhing:

RTH