The simFlight Network Forums

Sharp horizon artifact

Hi

I always set the maximum upper visiblity limit in FSUIPC Visibility to 50000 as I find the clean and sharp terrain and horizon unrealistic and repetitive.

However, while this effectively hazes out the terrain, it does leave a very obvious straight line. Does anyone know how to smooth out this colour transition or is is just an artifact of FS2004?

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve White

image.jpg

However, while this effectively hazes out the terrain, it does leave a very obvious straight line. Does anyone know how to smooth out this colour transition or is is just an artifact of FS2004?

I think it is deliberate, not an accidental artifact The FS team in Microsoft like it. I must admit it seems okay to me, but being in the UK I wouldn't normally see so far anyway :wink: .

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm in the UK also and I do reduce visibility as much as I can :wink: . However, if the weather is clear (downloaded weather), there is no haze at all and the result is therefore highly unrealistic, especially at night when the tiled ground textures become really obvious. There should be some limitation on visiblity even in clear skies.

The line becomes really obvious when the clouds start being drawn above it or worse, half-way through. I have no problem with a gradual haze but a straight line is not realistic at all and detracts somewhat from an otherwise great sim.

I guess I'll just have to live with it the way it is. It's infinitely better than the alternative thanks to FSUIPC.

Thanks for a great program Pete - worth every penny.

All the best,

Steve White

Hi,

This "effect" is also driving me crazy. I managed to get the hazy horizon (without a distinct line) to work daytime, after trying different drivers for my Geforce4 Ti4600(44.71a from ASUS works for me now) and other suggestions from Pete. But, at dusk and dawn it still looks unreal, as your screen shot shows. If I fly in central Russia, the effect looks as if I am sourounded by an ocean 50-100 miles away(All wheather types, visibility etc.). Also, at night, stars seem to appear below the "actual horizon"!

It is useless to hope for a MS patch for this, so I therefore hope one day, if possible, someone can create a program that can correct this.

Regards,

Stefan (Gothenburg,Sweden)

Also, at night, stars seem to appear below the "actual horizon"!

AhNOW I think I understand what you are seeing.

Try going to the Options-Settings-Display dialogue, select the Weather tab, and extend the "sight distance". You'll find that the further you allow the scenery to draw, the thinner that band becomes. If you set it at maximum you will get no such band or line at all, at least not at normal cruise altitudes.

The only trouble with this is it may have an impact on frame rates. It would perhaps be nice to be able to gradually increase this value as you climb, and decrease it as you descend -- something for an FS2004 version of Lago's FSAssist, I suspect -- though I think it causes something of a reload/redraw action, so maybe it isn't desirable.

Regards,

Pete