The simFlight Network Forums

3.9.3.5 Breaks FS9

Hi Pete;

Just updated to 3.9.3.5 and Flight Simulator 9.1 now crashes during launch. I get the splash screen for a while, then that dissapears, and several seconds later I get the "Flight Simulator as encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I had not recently installed anything else. I reverted back to 3.9.3.4 and FS9 launches fine. Just thought you should know.

Just updated to 3.9.3.5 and Flight Simulator 9.1 now crashes during launch. I get the splash screen for a while, then that dissapears, and several seconds later I get the "Flight Simulator as encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I had not recently installed anything else. I reverted back to 3.9.3.4 and FS9 launches fine. Just thought you should know.

It works fine here. I need more information please. The change between 3.934 and 3.935 is only an additional Lua plug-in facility, and even that isn't active until FS is fully loaded and ready to fly.

When Windows comes up with the error message, please select the option for more details. I need the Module name and the address provided -- it'll be a 4 or 8 digit hexadecimal number, like 0x......

What add-ons are installed which will be active during FS9's loading sequence? What aircraft is loaded by the default flight you've set? Is it an FSUIPC client aircraft? Any other add-in modules installed in the Modules folder?

Pete

Hi Pete;

Here's the info from the "more information" link...

AppName: fs9.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.40901 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 0001b21a

My default flight is the original one, C172 at KSEA. The other modules that I know of are bglman.dll v1.0.0.60, FSSound.dll v1.5.0.1, LegacyHUD.dll v1.2.0.1 from Feelthere, PMDGOptions.dll v1.0.2.0, sb3guagebridge.dll 2.0.0.1, and the squawkbox 4.0 dlls.

AppName: fs9.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.40901 ModName: ntdll.dll

ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755 Offset: 0001b21a

Hmm. Not much help, that's in Windows.

Is there an FSUIPC.LOG file produced (albeit pretty short I should think)? If so, could you please add

LogReads=Yes

LogWrites=Yes

to the [General] section of the INI file and try again. I cannot see how anything in FSUIPC can crash FS so early, but it is worth a try. As I said, the changes between 3.934 and 3.935 are not only small, but only come into play when you run a Lua plug0in in any case.

Ah, that does raise another question. Do you have an Ipcinit.lua in your modules folder? If so can I see what is in it, please?

My default flight is the original one, C172 at KSEA. The other modules that I know of are bglman.dll v1.0.0.60, FSSound.dll v1.5.0.1, LegacyHUD.dll v1.2.0.1 from Feelthere, PMDGOptions.dll v1.0.2.0, sb3guagebridge.dll 2.0.0.1, and the squawkbox 4.0 dlls.

Hmm. Not sure which of those use FSUIPC. Definitely the PMDG and the SB3 modules, maybe the LegacyHUD one. If you have time do you think you could try without them, then add them back one at a time?

Sorry to ask all this -- it is difficult when I cannot reproduce the error, though i will try adding the PMDGoptions one and the SB3 ones later today.

Thanks,

Pete

Sorry to ask all this -- it is difficult when I cannot reproduce the error, though i will try adding the PMDGoptions one and the SB3 ones later today.

I couldn't find SB3 so i installed SB4, and I've managed to reproduce the error. It is a timing problem -- one of the SB components is calling FSUIPC very early, before it has initialised a critical path semaphore. It is easy to fix, so look out for 3.936 later today.

Thanks for the detailed information. It was very useful.

Regards

Pete