The simFlight Network Forums

Help with Wide server

Hi Peter,

I am attempting to setup a network with my old computer running XP Home. i have cleaned it out of all old programes so it will run as efficiently as possible. I am not familiar with setting up a network as this is the first time but seem to have it running between my new ALPINEPC and DAVIDSHUTTLE ( the old computer. Alpine is running 64 bit Vista Home. I want to have Peix gauges running on a secondary screen from the Xp machine and have put the G Panel porgrame in the shared folder of the XP ( it was not seen on the ALPINEPC when in the prog folder so I moved it to the shared doc folder and it appears on the network via the ALPINEPC. I have run FSX and the Panel on the Xp machine but FSX shows a message of "waaaaiting for client". The XP machine says "Unable to link to FSUIPC or Wideclient" and the gauges on the XP machine show but are dead. I did read a post regarding the licenece date and noticed for some reason my ALPINPC had changed its date, so I altered this and re ran FSX . The log shows the date to be fine but unable to connect becasue of protocol error.

Can you help please as I feel I have almost gotten ther but cant reach the line! It happens when you get older too!

Regards

David

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.53] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 04/10/09, Time 08:59:23.011: Server name is ALPINEPC

15266 Initialising TCP/IP server

15266 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15266 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

15266 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15266 Initialising UDP/IP server

16047 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

******** WideServer.DLL Log [version 7.53] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 14/07/09, Time 06:05:46.623: Server name is ALPINEPC

15094 Initialising TCP/IP server

15094 Initialising IPX/SPX server

15110 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10044] Socket type not supported

15110 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

15110 Initialising UDP/IP server

16031 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

1204110 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 515 alloc, 514 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

The log shows the date to be fine but unable to connect becasue of protocol error.

No, there's no such problem on either TCP or UDP. Only the IPX protocol isn't working, and that'll be because neither WinXP nor WinVista installs that protocol by default (presumably because it was a Novell invention, not Microsoft's, so they demoted it!).

For some reason you posted two copies of the Server log but not one at all from the Client. However, the fact that you have one PC running Vista and the other XP leads me to guess that you have two differently named WorkGroups there -- Vista's default WorkGroup name is different from XP's. This difference causes the Server's broadcasts to never reach the other PC -- broadcasts are limited to the group.

Your best solution is to rename one, other, or both, workgroups to be the same. I always name mine "PETES". This is done in the same place as where you name your PC -- the "My Computer" properties.

Alternatively you can revert to the old-fashioned way of WideFS, and specify the ServerName and Protocol via pramaters in the Client's INI file -- the documentation describes this.

Regards

Pete