The simFlight Network Forums

Help can't make FS Commander work on a networked PC

A few months ago I saw FlightSim Commader running on 1 PC and FSX running on a TripleHead2Go rig and decided "I would like one of those." I am bitterly regretting it.

I have FSX running on a Win 7 machine and FSC on a XP machine. After many hours I have finally learnt how to network 2 PC's so that I can see the HD of each machine on it's partner. I was then told I needed FSUIPC to make the 2 programs talk to each other so I bought FSUIPC4 and WideFS and registered both of them. I have tried to understand the manuals but they are incomprehensible to me. I am told I need FSUIPC so I have installed them.

When I start FSC8.5 on the XP machine I see a message "Databases for FS2004 missing or incomplete. Please choose different FS version or run DB Manager first" . The program then stops. I have tried to do this from All Programs but come back to the same screen. Reading the WideFS User Guide I saw a line about adding "server name and the line protocol=TCP". Tried that, no luck.

I have put WideClient in the C drive of my XP PC (Please see attachment) so I think that is right. For completeness I have also included a screen grab of my XP PC's My Computer folder; it may be relevant it may be not.

The drive labeled Flight Sim X Files on 'Main(Main)'(X:) contains my saved flights. The drive labelled Flight Sim X Files on 'Main(Main)'(Y:) contains the FSX program

I am not ashamed to admit I don't understand what I am doing, I just hope (and pray) someone will kindly tell me exactly what I need to so I can do what I want to do - fly my flight sim.

I am assuming I need to set up FSUIPC somehow but I obviously don't know how.

Thank you,

Tregarth

If anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong I would be very grateful

post-35845-128689703067_thumb.jpg

post-35845-128689703085_thumb.jpg

I was then told I needed FSUIPC to make the 2 programs talk to each other so I bought FSUIPC4 and WideFS and registered both of them.

Well, someone told you wrong, because although you do need FSUIPC installed to use FSC and/or WideFs, you certainly don't need to buy it (only WideFS).

I have tried to understand the manuals but they are incomprehensible to me.

There's nothing you need to know in them in any case, except installation.

When I start FSC8.5 on the XP machine I see a message "Databases for FS2004 missing or incomplete. Please choose different FS version or run DB Manager first" . The program then stops.

That is completely unrelated to either FSUIPC or WideFS. It is a function of FSC working on FS's data, and it doesn't use FSUIPC or WideFS at all for that stage.

So, you are in the wrong place. You need to go to FSC support -- assuming that is that you've read the FSC documentation and cannot find the answers there, which would surprise me.

I am assuming I need to set up FSUIPC somehow but I obviously don't know how.

No, you don't need to set it up. it just needs installing. You don't even need to register it. That was a waste of your money.

Regards

Pete

I have FSC on a networked drive and it works very well. A few things to look at: -

Have you set the networked drives for full sharing so that each pc can alter as well as read the files on the other one? It isn't clear from your picture if this is the case. It usually shows a hand under the image if the directory is shared.

You then need to point FSC to the folder where flight sim is located through the network.

You mention installing FSUIPC 4 and fsx but yet you also say FSC is looking for fs2004. This does not sound correct to me. You need to make sure that FSC is set up for FSX, not FS9. This can be set from the datbase mamager application.

Den