The simFlight Network Forums

button failure

I'm running windows vista, fs2004 & fsuipc 3.90. A button controlling "spoilers Arm Toggle" quit working. I alternated this same button to see if it was capable of using other commands, it worked fine. But when going back to the spoiler arm toggle function, this button wont work. I can see the spoiler lever wanting to move (a very momentary jump) but wont make it into its propper position. Thanks in advanced for any help. Steve

I'm running windows vista, fs2004 & fsuipc 3.90.

Version 3.90 is old and unsupported. Please check the "List of Current Supported Versions" Announcement.

After updating to 3.93 you may also wish to get right up to date and overwrite that with 3.945 which is available in the Updates & Goodies announcement.

A button controlling "spoilers Arm Toggle" quit working.

By "quit" you imply you had it working once. So, what did you change. That'll be the clue.

I can see the spoiler lever wanting to move (a very momentary jump) but wont make it into its propper position.

Sounds like you have some other assignment for Spoilers, perhaps an Axis, which is trying to set the spoiler too?

Please update, then come back if you have more questions.

Regards

Pete

I updated & reread the manual to ensure I updated everything correctly. I deleted the old .INI file. After updating I noticed there's no new .INI file in the modules folder, or I'm not looking in the right place.

I didn't change or do anything for this toggle cmmand to quit working.

I'll check to see if theres any other commands interfering with the spoilers after I get this .INI thing figured out, thanks for your help, steve

Disregard! I have it all working now as it should, I'm still not sure about the .INI file, but if i can't figure it out, I'll let you know. steve

I updated & reread the manual to ensure I updated everything correctly. I deleted the old .INI file.

Why would you delete your INI file? That contains all of your FSUIPC settings! I hope you made a backup! There's never any need to delete anything when updating FSUIPC, unless its an upgrade from FSUIPC 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, or similar giant leaps. You only want to delete your settings when you want to start again with all default settings, or possibly just to diagnose a problem -- but then you should keep a backup unless you really do want to reset all the options, reassign all the buttons and axes, and re-calibrate.

After updating I noticed there's no new .INI file in the modules folder, or I'm not looking in the right place.

A new INI file will only be created when you run FS, not just by installing.

I didn't change or do anything for this toggle cmmand to quit working.

So something changed things for you? There's no way things change by themselves, unless the hardware goes wrong -- but you said the button still worked.

Disregard! I have it all working now as it should, I'm still not sure about the .INI file, but if i can't figure it out, I'll let you know.

If things are working, the INI file is there and working too.

Regards

Pete

this was from page 6 of the users manual:

That‘s it! If you already use FSUIPC and haven‘t updated it for a long time (and I mean many months) you should probably remove your existing FSUIPC.INI file, found in that same folder, before running FS. This isn‘t usually necessary (and it isn‘t necessary now), but a number of entries in the older INI file are no longer relevant to FSUIPC and may lead to confusion later. By deleting the file you ensure that you start off with a clean default setup.

next time I can assume I should ignore this step?

That‘s it! If you already use FSUIPC and haven‘t updated it for a long time (and I mean many months) you should probably remove your existing FSUIPC.INI file, found in that same folder, before running FS. This isn‘t usually necessary (and it isn‘t necessary now), but a number of entries in the older INI file are no longer relevant to FSUIPC and may lead to confusion later. By deleting the file you ensure that you start off with a clean default setup.

next time I can assume I should ignore this step?

Well, yes, or interpret "many months" to mean "many months". I try very hard to maintain compatibility so that any old, now disused, parameters are ignored or even deleted, and any changes ones are renamed. But it may not always be possible -- hence the warning in the document.

Incidentally, the gap between 3.90 and 3.93 is 6 months, which isn't "many" in my book. Sorry if you lost your settings through such a misunderstanding.

Regards

Pete