The simFlight Network Forums

FS 2004-AS6-FSUIPC...Screen Glitches

I run FS2004 and Active Sky 6 on Windows XP Pro. A new Pentium Dual Core 2.5 gig and 2 gig of ram. I additionally run FSUIPC ver 3.70

I recently loaded FS, AS6, and FSUIPC after purchasing the new machine. I eventually got everything set up as close to what I previously had on an older machine. (Or as best as I can remember)

I seem to be having a few small issues that I can’t seem to resolve between FS, AS6, and FSUIPC. I am not sure which may be causing the issue, or which product may be able to resolve the issue.

Concerning Clouds and visibility, I am seeing the clouds “write on) in the distance, rather than a smooth transition that I previously had on the older machine. Additionally, when AS6 completes it’s refresh, I get a quick “screen glitch”. The glitch happens precisely after the refresh completes. I have the refresh set to 5 minutes. The glitch affects the entire FS screen, not just the weather out the window.

Current FS settings:

Sight Dis =60 miles

Cloud Draw=50 miles

3D %= 100%

Detailed Clouds –Coverage Density Maximum

Current FSUIPC Settings:

Clouds:

Add Light Cirrus Occasionally

Apply Icing=0

Visibility:

Smooth Vis Change 10% every 30 sec

Set Grad Vis from 5 up to 25,000 Upper limit 25,000

Misl:

Allow Change to own FS weather= Checked

Prevent Ext opt ctl=Un-checked

Smooth Pressure =checked = 1 MB over 30 sec

Smooth IAS = checked

Current AS6 Settings:

Online Update=Checked

5 minute Intervals

Disable Vis graduation = unchecked

Visibility Smoothing=Checked

Enforce Vis Limits= min=0 max=59

FSUIPC Wind Smoothing=checked

Limit Surface Wind=checked

I have varied several of the above parameters, but can’t seem to eliminate the cloud draw issue , unless I set the cloud draw less than around 30 miles. However, that is a bit unrealistic visually to have the clouds limited in the distance.

As far as the “Screen glitch” I can’t seem to make that issue go away. Unless, I do not run AS6. (FS weather does not cause any glitching either with a theme, user weather, or RW weather)

I am wordering if there is a combination of setting amongst the products that may be causing a possible conflict. I admit I am a bit lost in understanding some of the terminology, and exactly what some of the functions actually do.

I don’t remember seeing this "screen glitch" with my previous installation, but with the newer/better machine, I am running things in FS pretty much at max as far as scenery etc.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mark

I run FS2004 and Active Sky 6 on Windows XP Pro. A new Pentium Dual Core 2.5 gig and 2 gig of ram. I additionally run FSUIPC ver 3.70

If you want FSUIPC support you need to update to a supported version -- 3.93 or later.

However, for anything to do with cloud graphics and glitches thereto you'll need to talk to the support forks for yuour weather program.

Pete

Would this be a free upgrade since I already have an earlier version?

I didn't know 3.7 was not being supported. What does the newer "supported" version allow /add/fix/ etc? I don't like tinkering with things that aren't broken :)

Finally, which version would be approproaite for FS2004 and XP Pro?

M

Would this be a free upgrade since I already have an earlier version?

I didn't know 3.7 was not being supported. What does the newer "supported" version allow /add/fix/ etc? I don't like tinkering with things that aren't broken :)

When you purchase FSUIPC3 you get all updates to FSUIPC3 free forever. FSUIPC4 is separate (for FSX and ESP).

There are a number of Announcements at the top of this Forum which tell you all sorts of things, including what versions of what are supported. It is also where lots of interim updates are posted, and other useful things. I cannot support old versions in any case. Later versions contain lots of fixes to older versions, as well as lots of new facilities. The History document which will be installed will tell you all about both.

Finally, which version would be approproaite for FS2004 and XP Pro?

As I said, a

supported
version -- 3.93 or later (3.947 is available in the Announcements, but you should install 3.93 first in any case).

Pete

Before I download and install 3.93, will my current settings (joy stick etc) transfer over to the newer version?

After the 3.93 install, Is there anything special I need to do before moving forward with 3.947? Or can I just perform the installs back to back?

Thanks again

Mark

Before I download and install 3.93, will my current settings (joy stick etc) transfer over to the newer version?

Yes. Just don't delete your FSUIPC.INI file -- all your settings are in there.

After the 3.93 install, Is there anything special I need to do before moving forward with 3.947? Or can I just perform the installs back to back?

No, but the 3.93 install is by installer. The interim updates in this Forum are simply the DLL files themselves. You have to manually place them into the FS Modules folder. If you are using Vista or Win7 and you have FS installed into its default place in "Program Files", you should run Windows Explorer "as administrator" (a right-click option), otherwise you may only be seeing the Aliassed folder, not the real one.

Regards

Pete

Okay, I am now up to FSUIPC 3.93 and updated AS6 to B552.

I didn't see much differnce in 3.93 from the previous version. Or at least I didn't see any additional settings. I am assuming that most of the changes are under the hood :)

So, here's the question, I am a bit confused in which setting would be approproaite with FSUIPC and AS6.5. Specifically in visablity control, and wind control. Both vendors recommend some settings that coud possibly conflict.

After some experimentation, I had to end up using FSUIPC to control the taxi winds. It in fact does reduce the wind effect on taxi and take off. However, it only seems to get it down to about 2 knots. I can't seem to get it down to "no wind" result.

As far as visabiltiy smoothing, I'm out to lunch on that one. I still seem to be getting some "pop up" weather, rather than a transition from one scene to another. I was under the assumption that the changes would be smoother. I've tried smoothing in both applications, but I still get the occasional pop up clouds.

And finally, I do still have that quick screen glitch when the AS weather completes. It's just enougt to be an anoyance. I have posted in the AS forum, but no one has responded as to what may be causing the issue.

If anyone has a particular set up that they think is really good, I am willing to try it.

Thanks again

M

I didn't see much difference in 3.93 from the previous version.

The changes are listed in the History document. That is why it is supplied.
I am a bit confused in which setting would be approproaite with FSUIPC and AS6.5. Specifically in visablity control, and wind control. Both vendors recommend some settings that coud possibly conflict.

All of the FS weather settings are merely filters for tweaking to user's taste. There's no "best" or "recommended" settings. Use what you like, don't use what you don't like. I don't know of any reason for "conflict", but why not just try Active Sky as it is first, without filtering?

After some experimentation, I had to end up using FSUIPC to control the taxi winds. It in fact does reduce the wind effect on taxi and take off. However, it only seems to get it down to about 2 knots. I can't seem to get it down to "no wind" result.

It is only supposed to reduce the wind, not remove it, and that's only to help newcomers, unused to flying, or at least FS, more easily overcome FS's tendency to weathervane too much.

As far as visabiltiy smoothing, I'm out to lunch on that one. I still seem to be getting some "pop up" weather, rather than a transition from one scene to another.

If you mean clouds, not visibility, then that's mostly a function of FS. You should find it happens much less if you make sure all of the Weather display sliders are full right. They may hit your frame rates a bit though. The 3D cloud slider (I think it's called something like that -- the one on the right), if left set on the left, produces cardboard cutout clouds in a ring around you which pop like crazy sometimes

I was under the assumption that the changes would be smoother. I've tried smoothing in both applications, but I still get the occasional pop up clouds.

There's nothing FSUIPC or anything esle can do with the weather graphics.

And finally, I do still have that quick screen glitch when the AS weather completes.

I've no idea what a "screen glitch" looks like. Sorry.

Regards

Pete

Glitch is actually an old broadcaster's term.

Flash may be more approproiate. Just as AS6.5 finishes it's update, and says "Compete" I get a quick screen flash. Almost if the monitor blinked for a milisecond. Maybe "quick refresh" is even a better term.

Obviously, it is the "screen scenery change" to what weather was updated to be, but the flash happens on the entire screen, and not in the graphic out of the window. And, only on the monitor where the main AC panal is. The second monitor, (which is where I keep radios, throttles, ets) does not flash.

I haven't checked to see if the flash happens in the 3D Cockpit or not. I mainly run in 2D Cockpit.

Again, I would assume a smooth weather transition out the cockpit window. But it looks like the weather "snaps" to the updated data. It in fact happens precisely at the update, and it is almost as if the monitor can't handle the refresh.

Briefly, as far as FS weather options, AS6.5 "suggests :

60 miles on the sight distance (Left on the fader)

30 miles on the cloud draw (mid fader)

100% on 3D clouds (Right)

I may try full quality and see what that yields. However, claims are the performance will suffer as you mentioned.

Thanks

M

Flash may be more approproiate. Just as AS6.5 finishes it's update, and says "Compete" I get a quick screen flash. Almost if the monitor blinked for a milisecond. Maybe "quick refresh" is even a better term.

Hmm. Sorry, no idea what could cause that.

Again, I would assume a smooth weather transition out the cockpit window. But it looks like the weather "snaps" to the updated data.

I think HiFi simulation did a lot of work on smoothing, but you are using a very old program. All of their improvements went into ASA (Active Sky Advanced). You may want to take a look at that instead. They will no doubt answer your questions on AS 6 or 6.5, but they certainly haven't been developing it for many years. They moved to ASX for FSX then ASA for both FS9 and FSX.

100% on 3D clouds (Right)

That's the one that should eliminate most of the artificial (cardboard cut-out) clouds and those are the ones which pop up and disappear most often.

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just one input to the screen flickering with AS: It's the RenderToTexture parameter in the FS9.cfg. If You set this parameter in the display section to 0, then you will have no flickering during update. BUT BE AWARE: You are not able to use DXT clouds in that case anymore. This will crash the FS already at startup (at 76%). This is a known "feature".

Rgds

Reinhard

Just one input to the screen flickering with AS: It's the RenderToTexture parameter in the FS9.cfg. If You set this parameter in the display section to 0, then you will have no flickering during update. BUT BE AWARE: You are not able to use DXT clouds in that case anymore. This will crash the FS already at startup (at 76%). This is a known "feature".

Thanks! That was something I didn't know!

Pete