The simFlight Network Forums

DontResetAxes=Yes changes to No?

hi

when I edit/change the ini (not when I cancel) and reload, after I exit fsuipc, - sometimes? some planes? PMDG 747 - my flaps or throttle gets moved

I tried the DontResetAxes=Yes

but, cannot really see if this helps becouse Fsuipc changes DontResetAxes=Yes back to No as soon as it does a write

?

or am i missing something

thx, mt

FSX

FSUIPC4549

Win7

[later]

dont think this is a proper use (test?) of DontResetAxes, but anyways, it will change, which probably it is not meant to do?

when I edit/change the ini (not when I cancel) and reload, after I exit fsuipc, - sometimes? some planes? PMDG 747 - my flaps or throttle gets moved

Hmmm. And this is a problem? Surely you wouldn't possibly be flying at the same time as manually fiddling with parameters, so it should be of little consequences in any case. It is probably caused by the USB drivers supplying a spurious value when the DirectInput devices are re-opened.

I tried the DontResetAxes=Yes but, cannot really see if this helps becouse Fsuipc changes DontResetAxes=Yes back to No as soon as it does a write

That parameter is part of the [General] section of the INI file. All of those are only read when you first start FS, so you need to change it when FSX is not running, just like the rest. In my INI file it's been set to "Yes" since I first tested it and it have survived intact ever since during many FSX sessions!

In any case, I'm pretty sure it was determined that the parameter doesn't really help. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=77942&p=475049

I'll probably remove the "DontResetAxes" option before general release because I don't think it's useful. It saves FSUIPC doing one specific read, but if the USB drivers provide a spurious value when they are "started", there's not a lot I can do, short of not re-scanning joysticks in the Options, and I'm not willing to provide that option. It would lead to far more problems when folks couldn't add or change joysticks or axes without restarting FSX, and a lot more support work. And that spurious value problem doesn't affect all devices -- it doesn't happen with my Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro, for example.

And since folks don't keep messing with axis settings whilst flying I don't see it as a problem. Do you? If so, why?

[LATER]

I've had another look at my code, and what I can do is automatically ignore the first few values read from the axis, if you've been into the options -- at all, even just to peek. I'll make this a small number, perhaps 5 values, so that it doesn't take long for an axis to become operational again, when in the program or in calibration/assignment.

I don't know if that will truly help or not. Try it -- I'll put it up in the Updates as version 4.552 when it is ready to test.

Regards

Pete