The simFlight Network Forums

Setting key presses for COM radios

Peter,

I need a bit of help please.

I want to set the standby COM radios so that I can assign key presses as follows.

COM 1 standby : press a key to alter the whole numbers up and another to alter down.

press a key to alter the fractional numbers up and another to alter down.

The same with Com2.

I can do this if I choose Com from the list without specifying Com 1 or 2 but it only applies it to Com 1. If I try to specify Com1 or 2 it applies it to the active frequency not the standby.

Is there a way round it? I hope I have made it understandable.

Thanks

Brian Simpson

I can do this if I choose Com from the list without specifying Com 1 or 2 but it only applies it to Com 1. If I try to specify Com1 or 2 it applies it to the active frequency not the standby.

Do you mean the drop down list in FSUIPC assignments? If so there are all these:

COM2_RADIO_FRACT_DEC

COM2_RADIO_FRACT_DEC_CARRY

COM2_RADIO_FRACT_INC

COM2_RADIO_FRACT_INC_CARRY

COM2_RADIO_SWAP

COM2_RADIO_WHOLE_DEC

COM2_RADIO_WHOLE_INC

Of these only the "SWAP" one affects the in-use frequency (unless your aircraft configuration states that COM2 doesn't have a standby setting). In fact the only way to address the in-use frequency directly is to use the specially added FSUIPC-extra controls:

Com2 use whole inc

Com2 use whole dec

Com2 use frac inc

Com2 use frac dec

Please use the documents provided. The LIST of FS controls I publish can be searched quite easily. Search on "COM2".

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your speedy reply.

My drop down list does not show:

COM2_RADIO_WHOLE_DEC

COM2_RADIO_WHOLE INC

It lists:

Com2 use whole inc

Com2use whole dec

It is the same with COM1.

The only entry I can see where WHOLE_INC or DEC is in COM with no number attached.

I can see them in the List of FSX controls you publish but I do not know how to use this list.

I have downloaded the latest version but it remains the same.

Yes I have done that but it takes a while to set the frequency as you have to scroll through the fractional numbers to get increases in the whole numbers. I want to be able to set the whole numbers and fractional numbers separately as it is quicker.

The reason I want to do this is I have bought an Xkeys keyboard which allows you to set functions for the keys then you can change to another layer and set new functions for the same keys. My idea was to set whole number inc/dec for one layer then go to the next layer and use the same key to set fractional numbers.

th_IMG_1017a.jpg

Click on the image and it will enlarge. It has in the top left corner two lights. One is green and the other red which represent two layers of keys. One key is programmed to toggle between the layers.

... they are just named slightly different than how Pete remembers them.

Actually they weren't "remembered" but cut and pasted from the "List of FS2004 Controls" document. Here are the complete entries for "COM2":

COM2_RADIO_FRACT_DEC	66438
COM2_RADIO_FRACT_DEC_CARRY	66439
COM2_RADIO_FRACT_INC	66440
COM2_RADIO_FRACT_INC_CARRY	66441
COM2_RADIO_SET	66442
COM2_RADIO_SWAP	66444
COM2_RADIO_WHOLE_DEC	66436
COM2_RADIO_WHOLE_INC	66437
COM2_STBY_RADIO_SET	66443
COM2_TRANSMIT_SELECT	66464

The numbers are the internal control codes used by FS. For the drop-down list FSUIPC merely replaces underscores by spaces and uses lower case.

It is strange that in your picture, showing the drop down list section, some of the COM2 entries are missing. I don't understand that! (I also don't understand how you are seeing some of the numbers to the right in the drop down list. They should be too far to the right to see).

Can you tell me the FSUIPC version number please?

If some of the FS controls are missing in the drop-downs it means they are missing in the tables in FS's "CONTROLS.DLL", as that is where they are from. The "List of FS... Controls" documents I publish are actually derived directly and automatically from that FS module.

[LATER]

I've now checked. The FS2004 controls list is okay, but the FSX controls list does have some missing! Yet they were there when I made the list for FSX which I published! I can only think that they got lost in either the SP1 update for FSX, or possibly SP2 or Acceleration. How bad is that? And I wonder what else they lost? I shall have to do a comparison ...

I can add these missing ones "artificially" -- I'm sure they must be still there, by number, and it is just the list which is corrupted in a later version of CONTROLS.DLL. I can test for them and add them from my own internal list if they aren't present.

Look out for an FSUIPC4 update in due course, maybe before the end of the week.

Regards

Pete

... they are just named slightly different than how Pete remembers them.

Actually they weren't "remembered" but cut and pasted from the "List of FS2004 Controls" document. Here are the complete entries for "COM2":

COM2_RADIO_FRACT_DEC	66438
COM2_RADIO_FRACT_DEC_CARRY	66439
COM2_RADIO_FRACT_INC	66440
COM2_RADIO_FRACT_INC_CARRY	66441
COM2_RADIO_SET	66442
COM2_RADIO_SWAP	66444
COM2_RADIO_WHOLE_DEC	66436
COM2_RADIO_WHOLE_INC	66437
COM2_STBY_RADIO_SET	66443
COM2_TRANSMIT_SELECT	66464

Okay, on further investigation, I see that I was wrong .. they controls ARE there, as Andy says, but they have the wrong names! The COM2 ones are now, inexplicably, called "COM STBY RADIO WHOLE DECREASE" and "COM STBY RADIO WHOLE INCREASE", so not looking like COM2 controls at all. The "COM RADIO WHOLE DEC" and "INC" controls affect the Stby Frequency on COM1. It seems they used the term "standby" for Radio (COM2), confusing when each has a "standby" frequency! Duh!

So, you can use them as it is -- but i will add the original names as well, to match FS9 and my published list. (The log will show the FS names, though, as those are the ones which have to be used when talking to SimConnect).

Regards

Pete