The simFlight Network Forums

Auto-set Nav Radios?

hey. I'm new here. I bought FSUIPC a a few weeks ago and am loving it.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a lua "copilot" who can set the nav radios to the waypoint frequencies in the active fs flightplan. Setting the radios is easy, but I don't know how to go about finding the values to set them to.

I may be in over my head, but I would appreciate any pointers I can get.

thanks,

farley

I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a lua "copilot" who can set the nav radios to the waypoint frequencies in the active fs flightplan. Setting the radios is easy, but I don't know how to go about finding the values to set them to.

You'd have to read the plan which presumably contains the frequencies? Or else look them up in some database you'd need to find or build. There's no way I know to get them out of FS very easily. I think, for FSX, SimConnect has such facilities, but that would mean writing a proper program, not a Lua plug-in, to access SimConnect.

Regards

Pete

Well, I decided to take on something slightly less ambitious, and after much trial and error, I have successfully written a lua plug-in which will set Nav 1 to the ILS frequency of the desired runway using the arrival airport code gleaned from the active flight plan, and a runway number submited by the user through ipc.ask. As the .PLN files do not contain frequencies, I made an ILS frequency database by modifying a csv file called "runways", which I found floating around my FSX folder. Perhaps Radar Contact put it there or something? In any case, it works, and I see no reason why the same principles can't be put to work to create a plug-in to set the nav radios to successive VOR waypoints, as was my original design.

Thank you very much for your help! Without it I might still be barking up the wrong tree.

Farley

As the .PLN files do not contain frequencies, I made an ILS frequency database by modifying a csv file called "runways", which I found floating around my FSX folder. Perhaps Radar Contact put it there or something?

It sounds like one of the databases created by my "MakeRunways" program. See the "Updates and other goodies" Announcement above, or download it from the http://www.schiratti.com/dowson site. There's a text file in the ZIP which describes the assorted files it produces.

Regards

Pete

I see. It was included with radar contact v4, no? In any case it seems that there is another MakeRunways file which will be quite suitable as a basis for my nav-setting F/O. Now all I need is time... I hate school. :p

Thanks for the programs, Pete!!!