The simFlight Network Forums

Strange rudder issues in PMDG JS41

Hi,

I have strange issue with rudder in PMDG JS41. I'm trying to use as FSX controls same as FSUIPC (registered) and in both cases this looks very odd. I start to rotate my stick rudder or pedals are moving into desired direction, but only as long as I move the stick. Immediately when I stop moving those jump into center position. Same thing happens when I move stick very slowly. Also, when I move stick to the rightmost or leftmost position and keep it here rudder jumps from corresponding position to center randomly.

I've checked ideas from PMDG forum:

- No same axis assignment in FSX and FSUIPC at the same time

- Only single axis is assigned in FSUIPC

- Yaw Damper is off in JS41 (doesn't matter if it is on or off)

I've tried to repro this with any default aircraft, but all defaults work fine (tried C172, LJ45, and B737).

Any suggestions?

I start to rotate my stick rudder or pedals are moving into desired direction, but only as long as I move the stick. Immediately when I stop moving those jump into center position. Same thing happens when I move stick very slowly. Also, when I move stick to the rightmost or leftmost position and keep it here rudder jumps from corresponding position to center randomly.

Sounds exactly like you have two assignments to the rudder, maybe one in FS and one in FSUIPC, or even two in either.

I've checked ideas from PMDG forum:

- No same axis assignment in FSX and FSUIPC at the same time

- Only single axis is assigned in FSUIPC

- Yaw Damper is off in JS41 (doesn't matter if it is on or off)

Yaw damper isn't relevant. If it only happens with that one aircraft it is some specific assignment applying to that aircraft.

You must be missing something. Try removing the FSUIPC INI file from the FS Modules folder before loading FS, so that FSUIPC defaults. If that fixes it, you have some setting, some assignment, in FSUIPC which is doing it.

Regards

Pete

Did this. Unfortunately issue is still here.

This is part of FSUIPC.INI file created by FSUIPC from the scratch:

[Axes]
0=0R,1,D,36,0,0,0
[JoystickCalibration]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
SteeringTiller=-14780,-32,224,14652/24

Please let me know if it worth providing other parts, probably I'm missing something important.

Did this. Unfortunately issue is still here.

If it still does it without FSUIPC doing anything, it is obviously either a problem in your FS assignments or in the aircraft itself.

This is part of FSUIPC.INI file created by FSUIPC from the scratch:

That is NOT a default INI! Didn't you even bother to test it without assigning anything in FSUIPC? That's what I asked -- use a default INI first, not simply delete the IN and re-create it! :-(

0=0R,1,D,36,0,0,0
SteeringTiller=-14780,-32,224,14652/24

You assigned a steering tiller, not a rudder! If you are assigning the rudder in FS and a steering tiller in FSUIPC, then, whilst on the ground and less than 60 knots you will have two controls operating the rudder!!!

If you wish to use the FSUIPC steering tiller you must assign the rudder in FSUIPC too, so it can switch from one to the other when needed. Please do read about these things before using them.

Regards

Pete

I've found source of the issue. It happens when Filter checkbox is checked. Interesting that without it Rudder not always work, but unfortunately I have no clue when it happens.

The filter mechanism will result is different values being sent to FS for that axis, very slightly delayed because of the feeding through the digital frequency filter algorithm. This should still not produce the symptoms you describe unless you have another assignment. But on the other hand, there would have to be something very bad and jittery with your axes before using the filter was justified.

Why won't you try it without FSUIPC assignment, and certainly without a tiller assignment, and tell me what happens then? You seem to be avoiding looking at the issue properly altogether. Why?

Regards

Pete

I'd been using filter because I've found that it makes Rudder work, despite it was strange for me. Looks that I'm an example of user who does really strange things just to avoid reading documentation :)

I've finally found way to solve issue - I've resetted controls in FSX and issue went off. Thanks a lot for your support.

BTW: it was repro with FSX-only assignments (w/o FSUIPC). Iteresting that it was repro only with JS41, none of default planes were affected.

I've finally found way to solve issue - I've resetted controls in FSX and issue went off. Thanks a lot for your support.

BTW: it was repro with FSX-only assignments (w/o FSUIPC). Iteresting that it was repro only with JS41, none of default planes were affected.

Strange indeed, but good that you've solved it. Thanks for letting us know

Pete