The simFlight Network Forums

Can't set flaps detents

Pete,I've read the instructions and done exactly what they say but nothing happens when I try to set flaps detent.No values change and I get the "critical stop beep"when I hit set.Do I have to assign the axis first?When I go to axis assignment page it recognizes the control and the numbers go up and down as they should.When I go to page 6 flaps calibration it says axis not assigned.When I hit set the 2 columns with no centre come up and then I hit DT and the centre one comes up.Everything looks exactly as in the manual,but no values change when I move the lever to set the detents.The only thing I can figure is I have to assign the axis to some function.I tried flaps set and flaps detent but still nothing.I got the landing gear working with another lever so I think I have an understanding of what I am supposed to do.Thanks for your support.Ron

... nothing happens when I try to set flaps detent.No values change and I get the "critical stop beep"when I hit set.Do I have to assign the axis first?

Of course you need a flaps axis assigned in order to calibrate detentes on it! How else could it possibly know what axis you were using for the flaps?

Not only that you need to calibrate it normally first, following the step-by-step instructions given for calibration. Do not rush into programming detentes for an unknown and uncalibrated axis! Get it fully working and tested without the detentes. All setting the detentes really means is recording little zones along an already known axis which then are made to correspond with the specific aircraft's flap settings. You can't do that without an axis or with an axis with an unknown range through failure to calibrate!

When I go to axis assignment page it recognizes the control and the numbers go up and down as they should.

And what have you assigned the axis to?

The only thing I can figure is I have to assign the axis to some function.

Of course you do! How on Earth do you expect to calibrate a flaps axis if there's no axis assigned to flaps?

I tried flaps set and flaps detent but still nothing.

"Flaps detent"? Where are you looking? There's no such control that I know of. Are you assigning all of your axes in FSUIPC? Have you tried assigning anything in FS itself instead? Please just first assign an axis in one of the three ways possible -- Flaps in FS, or "AXIS FLAPS SET in FSUIPC, if assigning via FS controls, or just "Flaps" in FSUIPC if assigning direct to FSUIPC calibration. The last is the most efficient, but you shouldn't really mix things too much or you will run the risk of confusing yourself and getting multiple assignments for the same axis.

Pete

Thanks for the repy.I figured it out.I don't know why I was getting the different options,but it is working fine.Actually, somehow I got to your "auto settings" for flaps and now they seem to be working fine without going to the flaps calibration page.Computers work in strange ways for me.I'm an old guy with a college education from "way back".I loved my statistic courses and still have the book.After looking at it I know it trained my brain but I have no idea what the formulas are now.Ron