The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIP with GPS AERA 500

Hello Mr Peter Dowson's

I am French and please excuse my English.

I just installed FSX FSUIPC 4 and a RS232 connection to my real GPS AERA 500.

Everything works fine in simulator mode and AV400 protocol, except that the vertical speed (VS) does not work!

Is this normal?

Thanking you in advance for your reply

• 3 years later...

Hello Pete,

I would like to know if it's possible to connect my area 500 with FSUIPC 4 on my PC... It's not really a PC, it's a Macbook Pro Retina. I run windows seven under bootcamp so it's not an emulation, it's a real windows. My FSX works perfectly. The question is about the connexion cable, cause I have USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt connector only... No serial connector.

Thanks a lot for your help

Steeve

I would like to know if it's possible to connect my area 500 with FSUIPC 4 on my PC... It's not really a PC, it's a Macbook Pro Retina. I run windows seven under bootcamp so it's not an emulation, it's a real windows. My FSX works perfectly. The question is about the connexion cable, cause I have USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt connector only... No serial connector.

Why do you need any of those connections? Is this for WideFS? If so you need a Network connection.

Pete

Hello Pete,

Thanks a lot for your help

Steeve

Steeve,

You can try a usb to serial adapter https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ii&gfe_rd=cr&ei=4RGGUpffN6uN8Qee7YDgBQ#hl=en&q=usb+to+serial , there a heaps around. Should work with the Aera 500.

I just have a look about WideFS. I don't use this software cause I don't have two PC... I just have an Aera 500 and my Macbook Pro Retina under Windows 7 (bootcamp) with USB connector only...

WideClient runs under Windows, including Windows 7 which you say you have installed ok..If you don't want to use WideFS on that computer (I would have thought that it IS effectively a PC if it runs Windows properly). But if your "Area 500" has no facilities for Networking, then connecting as a Network is obviously out, so is WideFS.

If you only want it for "GPSout" then just use a serial port device. There are no PCs with serial ports these days, but there are plenty of USB-serial port adapters.

I'm on holiday now -- just leaving.

Bye

Pete