The simFlight Network Forums

Transition Altitude

Hi Peter,

I've been thinking about a way to "know" which is the correct transition altitud, since this is not always the same for all airports, and there is no mathematical formula to calculate it. At first I thought having a table with all Icao's and it's transition altitud. With that and your new implementation, I can know where am I, it will be "easy" to find the correct TA... but too much work :? .

I know, this question is not of FSUIPC, but since you work a lot with FS, for sure you know the answer :D .

Does FS9 and FSX have the transition altitud information? Or they just use FL180 for all the world?

Thanks

Does FS9 and FSX have the transition altitud information? Or they just use FL180 for all the world?

Unfortunately FS only has the fixed US TA of 18000.

Programs like Radar Contact come supplied with a TA database, but even the one it comes with has a lot defaulting to 18000 simply because no one has ever been through all the charts to get the correct values for every airport in the world. Additionally, it does sometimes change (of course, list as Mag Vars, Runway numbers and ILS frequencies change), and some airports in the world are "flexible" (the charts read "TA by ATC").

Outside North America of course the Transition Level, (the lowest flight level before changing to QNH based altitudes) varies according to the current QNH and is set to provide the proper altitude clearance above the TA.

Regards

Pete