The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC hangs

Hello Pete,

since a few days almost every time when I enter FSUIPC menu a few seconds (up to half a minute) later my FSX hangs.

Then it lasts several minutes till it will end freezing but then my framerates back in game again are absolutely down (3 - 5)

Only solution is restart of FSX.

It doesn't matter wich menu or action I make in FSUIPC menu.

I have looked into FSUIPC.log and there are strange things going on:

230195 System time = 16/02/2010 10:08:39, Simulator time = 10:04:54 (09:04Z)
   230367 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
   991729 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 763 secs = 23.6 fps
  1138230 Joy 15 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan
  1158260 Joy 14 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan
  1178307 Joy 8 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan
  1198353 Joy 6 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan
  1218399 Joy 13 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan
  1238445 Joy 7 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan
  1258491 Joy 11 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan
  1278537 Joy 12 taking too long to respond (> 20 mSecs). Removed from scan

the code above is after I've ended FSX by aborting task via Task Manager

I have not knowingly changed any hardware settings, also I think this problem is since the last update to 4.587.

But you know that I often tinker around in all codes, so I do not automatically blame FSUIPC :lol:

This error is with all planes, also FS standard. This error is wether I have other programs running (ASA, SerialFP ...) or not

Ideas?

since a few days almost every time when I enter FSUIPC menu a few seconds (up to half a minute) later my FSX hangs.

Then it lasts several minutes till it will end freezing but then my framerates back in game again are absolutely down (3 - 5)

What version of FSUIPC please?

I found a problem recently, one which has always been there, but which seems to be exacerbated by running FSX in a "compatibility mode", which I tracked down to a problem in the Windows 7 "joy" API -- which FSUIPC4 still uses for Button scanning. I have fixed it here but the updated version isn't ready for release yet. I'll make it available for download tonight or tomorrow morning.

Regards

Pete

... also I think this problem is since the last update to 4.587.

I certainly couldn't find any reason for it to be a change I'd made. Here it appeared to start happening when I set FSX to operate in one of the "compatibility modes" rather than default.

The problem I found, which only applied here to Windows 7 (I am using 64-bit versions), was that the "joyGetPosEx" scanning was causing Windows to trawl through 10-20 items in the Registry every time it was called. Since it is called frequently, especially in the Buttons options dialogue, it slows things down a bit. But worse, it wasn't closing one of the registry key handles before returning.

Watching the number of handles in use (in task manager) I could see it increasing at about 50 per second (default FSUIPC4 scan rate, at 20 mSec intervals = 50 Hz). Using ProcMon I could even see which handle was being left open! Eventually this clobbers things in all sorts of places ...

Anyway, in version 4.588 I don't use "joyGetPosEx", and that's fixed it here.

Please let me know. I see you too are using Win7 64 -- do you use a compatibility mode for FSX?

Regards

Pete

Please let me know. I see you too are using Win7 64 -- do you use a compatibility mode for FSX?

Yes, I use comp mode, too.

And as you say this I remember that I use it just since a few days (after somebody said that it fixes PMDG grafical glitches wich seems to be true)

I have downloaded the new version and report back.

Thank you very much!