The simFlight Network Forums

Only use FSUIPC for axis control

I have been reading an article in this month's PCPilot which covers the use of FSUIPC to adjust the settings of the joystick and thought I would have a go. (Having read the ReadMe I think it is a bit too complex for me - 32 settings for the spoilers is a bit more than I can handle - I want them up or down. By the time I have max speed brakes set I will be taxiing off the runway).

I would like to just adjust the axes sensitivity but leave the key assignments to FSX (I am also using Win 7). I see that on the first page of the controller set up in FSX there is a tick box "Enable Controllers". If I untick this do I loose all the FSX button settings I have set? If so, is there a way to compromise so I use FSUIPC for axes and FSX for buttons? There is no mention of how to set up a "halfway house".

Thank you,

Tregarth

32 settings for the spoilers is a bit more than I can handle

Where do you find 32 settings for spoilers? I'm intrigued. What on Earth would you use them for?

I think you must be talking about something else other than anything I have produced or written. It certainly isn't FSUIPC!

I would like to just adjust the axes sensitivity but leave the key assignments to FSX (I am also using Win 7).

The normal easy way to use FSUIPC's facilities is to leave all the assignments in FSX, except possibly for those buttons you want to assign to do things FS does not allow for.

I see that on the first page of the controller set up in FSX there is a tick box "Enable Controllers". If I untick this do I loose all the FSX button settings I have set?

Well, I'm not sure they'll actually be lost: they might be, I don't know, but they most certainly won't function any more. Why would you want to do that in any case? You most certainly do not have to assign anything in FSUIPC in order to use its joystick calibration facilities. In fact the calibration facilities have been in FSUIPC now for over ten years. The axis assignments came much later, and were originally intended for more ambitious users such as cockpit builders, or those needing automatic changing over of controls for different aircraft types -- jets, props, helicopters, each with their own joystick type, for instance.

If so, is there a way to compromise so I use FSUIPC for axes and FSX for buttons? There is no mention of how to set up a "halfway house".

There's no mention anywhere that you have to give up assignments in FS! Why would you assume such a thing in the first place? Certainly you should not assign the same button for different things in FS and in FSUIPC. Nor should you assign joystick axes in FSUIPC if you have them assigned in FS. But you may certainly mix everything else as much as you like.

I really don't understand where you come across the misunderstandings you reveal in your post. Would you care to enlighten me?

If you want to use the joystick calibrations just go ahead and do so. Read that chapter in the user guide. Ignore the axis assignments chapter if you don't want to use it! It is as simple as that! FSUIPC is a toolkit, a lot of different things like a Swiss Army Knife. You don't have to use it all just because you have it!

Pete

Dear Pete,

Thank you for your reply. I, too, was puzzled by the 32 settings for the spoilers; I always thought they were up or down.

32 settings for the spoilers is a bit more than I can handle

Where do you find 32 settings for spoilers? I'm intrigued. What on Earth would you use them for?

I think you must be talking about something else other than anything I have produced or written. It certainly isn't FSUIPC!

But please see

"Spoiler inc and Spoiler dec controls, which raise or lower the spoilers (speed brakes) by a small amount on each

use. The increment is set, by default, to give 32 steps in the whole range, but you can change that in the FSUIPC.INI

file—see the Advanced User’s document."

This is on page 28 of http://www.flypfc.com/downloads/FSUIPC%0Guide.pdf

I would like to just adjust the axes sensitivity but leave the key assignments to FSX (I am also using Win 7).

The normal easy way to use FSUIPC's facilities is to leave all the assignments in FSX, except possibly for those buttons you want to assign to do things FS does not allow for.

I see that on the first page of the controller set up in FSX there is a tick box "Enable Controllers". If I untick this do I loose all the FSX button settings I have set?

Well, I'm not sure they'll actually be lost: they might be, I don't know, but they most certainly won't function any more. Why would you want to do that in any case?

You most certainly do not have to assign anything in FSUIPC in order to use its joystick calibration facilities. In fact the calibration facilities have been in FSUIPC now for over ten years. The axis assignments came much later, and were originally intended for more ambitious users such as cockpit builders, or those needing automatic changing over of controls for different aircraft types -- jets, props, helicopters, each with their own joystick type, for instance.

If so, is there a way to compromise so I use FSUIPC for axes and FSX for buttons? There is no mention of how to set up a "halfway house".

There's no mention anywhere that you have to give up assignments in FS! Why would you assume such a thing in the first place?

Looking at Settings - Controls on the page "Calibration" there is a tick box "Enable Controller". This is not repeated on either of the following pages (Buttons/Keys , Control Axes) so my conclusion was that by turning off the Controllers I was turning off all 3 pages. My terminology was poor - I should have been more specific.

From what you are saying is that if I set anything in FSUIPC it will override a setting in the FSX Settings - Controls page.

I really don't understand where you come across the misunderstandings you reveal in your post. Would you care to enlighten me?

I hope my answers help you.

Thank you again, I will go back and have another go,

Tregarth

"Spoiler inc and Spoiler dec controls, which raise or lower the spoilers (speed brakes) by a small amount on each

use. The increment is set, by default, to give 32 steps in the whole range, but you can change that in the FSUIPC.INI

file—see the Advanced User’s document."

This is on page 28 of http://www.flypfc.com/downloads/FSUIPC%0Guide.pdf

It isn't talking about settings, but steps -- how much to increment or decrement the spoiler axis on each use of the added controls to increment and decrement it. It the step was only of size 1 there'd be 16384 steps, because spoilers full down has an axis value of 0 and full up has a value of 16384. If it took 16384 button presses to raise the spoilers fully I don't think anyone would use the added controls!

The idea of Increment and Decrement controls are to increment and decrement a value. FSUIPC just allows you to set the step value being used, and by default it sets it to 512 so that it takes 32 repeats to go full down to full up or vice versa.

With a joystick axis assigned you'd normally have more steps than that, unless it is a very poor joystick! Most will give 50 to 100 or more.

Looking at Settings - Controls on the page "Calibration" there is a tick box "Enable Controller". This is not repeated on either of the following pages (Buttons/Keys , Control Axes) so my conclusion was that by turning off the Controllers I was turning off all 3 pages.

Yes, it turns them all off, but that doesn't necessarily mean the settings are lost. They may come back as they were if you re-enabled the controllers later. I don't really know whether turning the controllers off resets all of the settings to defaults. Sorry, I've never really looked to see.

From what you are saying is that if I set anything in FSUIPC it will override a setting in the FSX Settings - Controls page.

No it won't!! That is the very problem. They will both be active and cause you confusion and chaos will likely reign!

So: do NOT assign a button or an axis in both FSUIPC and in FS. Only in one place or the other.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with FSUIPC calibration, on the Joysticks tab, which is entirely independent of where you actually assign things, as I explained. I think this is where you are getting yourself so confused!

Regards

Pete