The simFlight Network Forums

VRINSIGHT MCP QUISTIEN

WELL hello again now i got it up and running just one thing i still miss is that heading, altitude and vertical speed. were show corect on the vr hardware and in fs like the speed. if that posible to get working?

Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. The autopilot heading and altitude are already shown in the VRInsight MCP-Combi. There isn't enough room for the V/S value too unless you want to replace one of the others. You could use some Lua programming to enable the altitude display, say, to be toggled between altitude and V/S by pushing a button. Is that what you mean?

Regards

Pete

well i have testet the flight1 MD80 and it shows you the same speed on the vrinsight hardware as in the add-on plane but the rest dosent. then i was asking if it is posible to get them working as the speed. becaus i have tryed to program the heading noob but it jumps 2 placeses on vrinsight then they dont display the same, also The goflight mcp (not the pro version) do the same. but to be toggled between altitude and V/S by pushing a button was mabee a nice way. and i mean that vrinsight also have that ide.

another think cant i turn the com nav and adf off as i use goflight as it is a quicker way of my setup?

best regard

Lars

well i have testet the flight1 MD80 and it shows you the same speed on the vrinsight hardware as in the add-on plane but the rest dosent.

What does "the rest doesn't" mean? I don't have any add-on aircraft but the A/P speed value is the same as in ALL of the default aircraft.

If you are talking about PMDG or LevelD or other aircraft with their own separate autopilot, then you should know that there is no way I know for any external display to show the correct A/P values. Well, that's not QUITE true -- the Level D one does have an SDK and the value can be extracted. I believe there's a program by Nico Kaan which will map the values to fSUIPC offsets.

...then i was asking if it is posible to get them working as the speed.

Sorry, again I don't understand that part. Get WHAT working "as the speed"? Other aircraft, other values? Didn't you just say the speed wasn't working in anything other than the F1 MD80? Or didn't you really mean that? How can something which is "not speed" work as speed?

... becaus i have tryed to program the heading noob but it jumps 2 placeses on vrinsight then they dont display the same.

What "jumps two places"? You mean 2 knots? As far as I know the VRInsight display is updated from the FS value. That's what happens here. Try it! Load the default 737, Change the heading bug in FS, the heading changes on the MCP-Combi. And it works the other way around.

Please explain what it is you are trying to say. I am evidently not understanding you at all.

... but to be toggled between altitude and V/S by pushing a button was mabee a nice way. and i mean that vrinsight also have that ide.

Is this part related to the previous parts?

You can do quite a lot with the displays in the VRInsight devices, but you cannot really change the format of the displays. They seem to be controlled by internal firmware, not from SerialFP2.

another think cant i turn the com nav and adf off as i use goflight as it is a quicker way of my setup?

You can't really do much with the radio displays unless you avoid using any of the knobs associated with them. Much of what happens is built into the device. You could try though. You can take as much control over the VRInsight devices as SerialFP2 has, using the COM library programming facilities in a Lua plug-in. just don't run SerialFP2 at all. Don't add any VRInsight sections to FSUIPC.INI. Instead load your own complete MCP Combi program written in Lua. It is not a small project, but certainly feasible. Maybe when it is working you will donate it as an example here for others to use?

If you have problems with VRI devices have you tried talking with the folks on the VRI support forum?

Regards

Pete

well sory for my bad english!

well i have also been thinking of goeing arount SerialFP2. as mcp keeps overwrite the goflight unit for com 1-2 an nav1-2

as i already dosent use vrinsight software as i gives fsuipc the info as SerialFP2 always keep doeing things on the pc and in the fs as i dosent like.

but i realy want to start whit lua programing but could you help me a bit how to get startet as i have been reading all your dokuments but still sitting how does it conect to fsuipc just plot a lua dok in moduls folder?

well i have also been thinking of goeing arount SerialFP2. as mcp keeps overwrite the goflight unit for com 1-2 an nav1-2

if you want to stop just that and not use the VRI radios you can simply set read filters in FSUIPC for commands "NAV?" and ""COM?". But it should do anything with COM and NAV radios if you leave it selecting DME, ADF or Transponder. I would have thought it would be useful to leave it on the DME selection.

as i already dosent use vrinsight software as i gives fsuipc the info as SerialFP2 always keep doeing things on the pc and in the fs as i dosent like.

I've not found it doing things except when turning its dials or pressing its buttons.

but i realy want to start whit lua programing but could you help me a bit how to get startet as i have been reading all your dokuments but still sitting how does it conect to fsuipc just plot a lua dok in moduls folder?

I can't teach programming. Sorry. For Lua please look at the examples provided and perhaps go to the Lua website. There are also several books you can buy about Lua.

I can help with specific questions on the Lua libraries in FSUIPC and how to set up the INI file parameters, but I'm afraid i cannot do anything more general. You ask specific questions, I answer them if I can.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for you grate suport it work to set it to dme then i could changes on goflight.

well i think i just stops here as i want it to work but then no one realy knows a lot about programing lua i think i would be dead end. just sad it cant get working 100% but isent there any hardware as go flight then have the same limit and if i buy the new goflight mcp it would work to. so it would say that no autopilot at all at this time suport 100 add-on autopilot. only pmdg as far as i know.

well what about Project Magenta do you think that the mcp program can: MCP/Enhanced Autopilot get it working as i dont know much about it. othere then it is to cockpit builders i know i have to get another mcp to get it working.

well just forget project magenta as it would cost 799 EUR + mcp 1.198,80 EUR

well where to do as it dosent worked dont know fs do as it self want to so:

if you want to stop just that and not use the VRI radios you can simply set read filters in FSUIPC for commands "NAV?" and ""COM? where to do that

WELL that i was talking about was that the autopilot if you take the hdg as exampel hdg in both fs add-on is set to 000 then you turn the rotate switch to the left 1 knob and there is nothing hapend in the sim but vrinsight and goflight whit a machro comand changes to 001 then turn 1 more the vrinsight says 002 but fs add-on tels 001. once more on vr mcp 003 and fs 001 then vr mcp 004 and fs add-on says 002 it was therefore i was sayeing if there was any way to get it to follow as speed rotation follows it 100 % but it also dosent hae a macro comand. becaus if you could get it rotate the same you are over the problems.

well what about Project Magenta do you think that the mcp program can: MCP/Enhanced Autopilot get it working as i dont know much about it. othere then it is to cockpit builders i know i have to get another mcp to get it working.well just forget project magenta as it would cost 799 EUR + mcp 1.198,80 EUR

There are others. Sim-Avionics is cheaper I think, and they do list both the GoFlight MCP and the VRInsight MCP-Combi as supported.

... you can simply set read filters in FSUIPC for commands "NAV?" and ""COM? where to do that

The parameter lines "RdFilter.n= ...", as used in the examples of using the Lua plug-ins I provide. Please see the document called "Lua PlugIns for VRInsight Devices" which is in the "FSUIPC Documents" folder in your FS modules folder. For more good help with VRInsight devices you should go to the support forum for them. They are new to me, I have only seen them and tried them in the last two or three weeks. Most of the testing was done for me by other users. You will find them very helpful.

Regards

Pete

WELL ABOUTH THIS: WELL that i was talking about was that the autopilot if you take the hdg as exampel hdg in both fs add-on is set to 000 then you turn the rotate switch to the left 1 knob and there is nothing hapend in the sim but vrinsight and goflight whit a machro comand changes to 001 then turn 1 more the vrinsight says 002 but fs add-on tels 001. once more on vr mcp 003 and fs 001 then vr mcp 004 and fs add-on says 002 it was therefore i was sayeing if there was any way to get it to follow as speed rotation follows it 100 % but it also dosent hae a macro comand. becaus if you could get it rotate the same you are over the problems.

AND what if i can get the value for the add-on aircraft is it then posible to get throu as i realy want it working becaus els you dosent have any out of having a hardware. by the way i have been watching Sim-Avionics but do you think it have direct interface and can corect add-ons just asking if you know you are so cleaver :-)

if you take the hdg as exampel hdg in both fs add-on is set to 000 then you turn the rotate switch to the left 1 knob and there is nothing hapend in the sim but vrinsight and goflight whit a machro comand changes to 001 then turn 1 more the vrinsight says 002 but fs add-on tels 001. once more on vr mcp 003 and fs 001 then vr mcp 004 and fs add-on says 002

Odd -- that doesn't seem to happen here. You get that with all default aircraft? FSX or FS9?

it was therefore i was sayeing if there was any way to get it to follow as speed rotation follows it 100 % but it also dosent hae a macro comand. becaus if you could get it rotate the same you are over the problems.

Sorry, I don't understand this part. Where do "macro" commands come in?

If you are only talking about add-on aircraft, like PMDG or LevelD and so on, then what you are seeing is probably related to the use of keyboard commands being used in SerialFP2. I've not tried any of that, but I most certainly would not like all those controls sending heaps of keyboard commands. The queues get too long.

Unfortunately, the normal method for keeping the MCP display the same as the value set in the aircraft MCP cannot work for PMDG aircraft and some other add-ons, because their MCP is implemented internally to their gauges and the values cannot be read by program. If you want to use external hardware instrumentation like the VRInsight devices, then really the PMDG aircraft are the wrong choice. You need to use default aircraft, or at least aircraft which use the default autopilot. some though do come with an SDK to allow external devices to be interfaced -- the Level D aircraft, for example.

In other words, if all your difficulties are with the PMDG aircraft then the only answers are either to not use the VRI MCP or to not use the PMDG aircraft. I think trying to use them together you will always have to ignore some of the readouts.

i have been watching Sim-Avionics but do you think it have direct interface and can corect add-ons

If you mean will Sim-Avionics work with, say, PMDG aircraft, then the answer is no, I don't think so. Sim-Avionics, like Project Magenta, replaces all of the systems in your aircraft. They have their own autopilot, overhead, and instrumentation. That's the whole point. You take all that outside of FS. You can use any flight model in FS, just no FS panels. The default aircraft would be fine.

Incidentally, for the VRI MCP-combi radio panel, I am changing FSUIPC so that you can program the radio buttons after all. This would enable you to stop them working, -- easier than adding a filter. This change will be in 4.602 and 3.982, later today.

Regards

Pete

hello again first of all thanks for the modification. Now i have good news for vrinsight custormers whit the mcp combo as i have found a way to get the hardware to show the same on both displays i mean the one in the add-on of flight1 md80 as i set a macro for heading and say it was not working but i dose if you set under switch and bootons then set bothe of the menu to same rotating switch then go to the sim and rotate the autopilot i my case md 80 autopilot to the heading shown on your vrinsight hardware then they show the same then you can rotate the bootons on your vrinsight combo pannel and they show the same so a good neews :-) just note that it only works if you rote the nob slow as i can see. i am working on it so it only have 1 wheel speed in the add-on so the get the same wheel speed. BUT HARD to find a place to start.

Now i am testing goflight mcp and it works it shows the same, just some delay on the goflight display try to corect and comback later if i can get it to worki better.

THIS is for the vrinsight: hope i can get some help from Espen Øijordsbakken - Coolsky. as i realy think it all would work if the botton in the add-on just had 1 speed.

Well at this stage i only have 1 problem left on the goflight and it is to get the 2 alttude displays to show the same as heading,crs,speed and vertical speed works. so would try to find a way throug and start a new goflight topic i think if i can find a nice solution.

WELL HELLO AGAIN, any one here that is good to Mathematics as i have some problems whit this code and if i can brake it i realy think i can get vrinsight to work and gofligt but think the way goflight work now is the best way but lets se.

i have found this until now:

multiplier=1 gives hdg from 0 ->11->22, multiplier=0.1 gives 0->16->32 and multiplier=2.8 gives 0->21->42 but it should changes 1 degree at a time? any ho can find the combination.

By the way Pete is there any way to stop the input to the displays of the hdg and the other things on the vrinsight display like the com and nav funktion. becaus it dosent work well together whit goflight as i realy want all the push buttons from the vrinsight. els i have to upgrade to a new goflight mcp pro and use the old mcp to some of the funktions from vrinsight but it dosent have that much buttons. as i am giving up on the vrinsight i have hoped that it could work but as it simply need the last part to get working, as goflight can update the display to the add-on display and the other things so sorry but at this stage goflight mcp works best.

best regards Lars

i have found this until now:

multiplier=1 gives hdg from 0 ->11->22, multiplier=0.1 gives 0->16->32 and multiplier=2.8 gives 0->21->42 but it should changes 1 degree at a time? any ho can find the combination.

Sorry. What is this about? What are you multiplying?

By the way Pete is there any way to stop the input to the displays of the hdg and the other things on the vrinsight display like the com and nav funktion.

You can block any of the display commands using the filter facilities, as I think i mentioned. But unless you them programmed them yourself you'd then just have useless displays. If you don't want to see them why not just put some sticky tape over them? It would make them less misleading than just having them plain not updated to accord with FS.

i am giving up on the vrinsight i have hoped that it could work but as it simply need the last part to get working, as goflight can update the display to the add-on display and the other things so sorry but at this stage goflight mcp works best.

Why not use it, then?

Regards

Pete

multiplier=1 gives hdg from 0 ->6->12, multiplier=0.1 gives 0->16->32 and multiplier=2.8 gives 0->21->42 but it should changes 1 degree at a time? any ho can find the combination.

Sorry. What is this about? What are you multiplying?

it was an setting in the md80 ini file it was something Espen Øijordsbakken - Coolsky said i could try. to get the displays to changes whit 1 speed in the add-on and as you can se it also doese but jumps 6 degree at a time. i dont know but then at the first time multiplier=1 gives 6 so have to find some thin els as if you then changes multiplyer it multiply the old one in this case 6. so i would say it looks like it says 1*6=6 then i have to find something which can be multipled and give 1 insted.

You can block any of the display commands using the filter facilities, as I think i mentioned. But unless you them programmed them yourself you'd then just have useless displays. If you don't want to see them why not just put some sticky tape over them? It would make them less misleading than just having them plain not updated to accord with FS.

well the mane problem is then i have the vrinsight set on goflight autopilot dosent work right but if i turn it of goflight works 100% again.

i am giving up on the vrinsight i have hoped that it could work but as it simply need the last part to get working, as goflight can update the display to the add-on display and the other things so sorry but at this stage goflight mcp works best.

Why not use it, then?

well as i have the old mcp by goflight i would have to buy a new one to get the l-nav, v-nav and all the new stuf.

it was an setting in the md80 ini file it was something Espen Øijordsbakken - Coolsky said i could try.

Oh, for a specific aircraft. Sorry, I don't know anything about that.

so i would say it looks like it says 1*6=6 then i have to find something which can be multipled and give 1.

Two probable problems with that idea. First is that maybe his multiplier means the number of increments sent with each "click" -- you cannot have a fraction of an increment command. Second, judging by your results, his code doesn't like fractions and is mis-converting your values like .1 into something else.

well the mane problem is then i have the vrinsight set on goflight autopilot dosent work right but if i turn it of goflight works 100% again.

I'm still not understanding. why not use just one MCP, the one which works? Why are you wanting to use two? I don't know any aircraft with two in any case.

well as i have the old mcp by goflight i would have to buy a new one to get the l-nav, v-nav and all the new stuf.

The default aircraft don't support any of that, and if your chosen add-on aircraft does you'd still be able to program buttons on the VRInsight to set those modes. For LNAV and VNAV you'd need an FMC too. Do you have one which works with your aircraft?

Regards

Pete

well about using 2 autopilot was becaus of goflight can controle the hdg spd altitude and vertical speed, and vrinsight all the other buttons and range and mode on you display in the md80. and here is the true storry about why i have 2 autopilots it is becaus for 1 and a half year ago i would have a new autopilot whit l-nav and v-nav and the new stuf, and i found vrinsight had a bit lower price and could do more then goflight. at that moment people dosent know much about it as i got 1 of the first ones. Then i found its limits and for 1 year i have tryed to sell it but could not. then you allowed to program buttons in fsuipc and i have tryed and now we are here. And it is a bit of time i have to find out before tomorow as simw gives 20%off on goflight

best regards Lars

i found vrinsight had a bit lower price and could do more then goflight. at that moment people dosent know much about it as i got 1 of the first ones. Then i found its limits and for 1 year i have tryed to sell it but could not.

I think it works very well for many aircraft. It is just that it doesn't support all of the facilities on all of the aircraft. There are NO MCP implementations which do, as it is really an impossible task. All of the sophisticated aircraft models do things differently. It is going to be a compromise unless you specialise in one or two aircraft and are willing to program the controls for them.

then you allowed to program buttons in fsuipc and i have tryed and now we are here.

Yes, but we are at a point where it is perfectly possibly for you to re-rpogram the VRInsight to suit exactly what you want, but you are not able to understand my instructions and I do not know your aircraft nor problems well enough. This is why I keep suggesting you talk to the folks on the VRInsight support forum.

Regards

Pete

i found vrinsight had a bit lower price and could do more then goflight. at that moment people dosent know much about it as i got 1 of the first ones. Then i found its limits and for 1 year i have tryed to sell it but could not.

I think it works very well for many aircraft. It is just that it doesn't support all of the facilities on all of the aircraft. There are NO MCP implementations which do, as it is really an impossible task. All of the sophisticated aircraft models do things differently. It is going to be a compromise unless you specialise in one or two aircraft and are willing to program the controls for them.

then you allowed to program buttons in fsuipc and i have tryed and now we are here.

Yes, but we are at a point where it is perfectly possibly for you to re-rpogram the VRInsight to suit exactly what you want, but you are not able to understand my instructions and I do not know your aircraft nor problems well enough. This is why I keep suggesting you talk to the folks on the VRInsight support forum.

Regards

Pete

well i am tryeing to do from your dokumentation but cant get it working. by the way you can program the buttons but what about the displays as it sems to be them that dosent follow the add-ons generaly.

well i am tryeing to do from your dokumentation but cant get it working.

But what is it you can't get working? You've never shown anything you've done. how can I help if you don't say?

by the way you can program the buttons

Are you saying you can program the buttons, or that you cannot?

but what about the displays as it sems to be them that dosent follow the add-ons generaly.

If the add-ons don't use the FS values which FSUIPC can read, then how do you think VRInsight or Goflight or anyone else can read them? It is sometimes possible for some aircraft -- LevelD 767, for instance, where a toolkit is provided -- but not others, like PMDG -- except for those few hardware manufacturers who could afford their special driver. If you have chosen an add-on aircraft which uses its own autopilot and keeps its values internal, how do you expect any external hardware to display therm correctly? There simply is no way to do it, for some aircraft. The only aircraft you are guaranteed to be able to read the A/P values for are those using the default FS A/P, and for those both GoFlight and VRInsight devices work fine.

This is why folks who build their own cockpits choose the FS aircraft they use with great care and avoid those which are not compatible with any hardware. Many, like myself, just use flight models and no add-on panels, so can get away with, for example, the PMDG 737NG for FS9. then the instrumentation is all provided by external software like Project Magenta which can be accessed via FSUIPC and hence made compatible with any hardware.

If you want to program your VRInsight or GoFlight displays yourself, it will come to programming. So you'd need to learn more. BUT if the aircraft you are using cannot provide the values you need, then it will still not be possible.

Regards

Pete

well i can program the buttons or should we say give it macro but not lua. els i would not have been abel to do anything. i am just sayeing that i need to program an button that only works whit 1 speed as it is what there is needed. as then you would cheat the display. as in the add-on you start sim and lets say vrinsight autopilot show 10000ft but the add on shows 8000 afther last flight then ajust the add-on to 10000 then you se the same if you then want to set altitude whit vrinsight you can rotate the knob slow and show the same on both but if you rotate fast it shows different again. sofar as i have got as info md80 have standart vaulv but not altitude. the funny thing is if you say it dosent get the info right how can goflight then show the same as in the add-on as it show it corect. it is that way i can cros chek.

but whit lua is it then posible to get it updating the display? that is waht i am looking for but tryed to find another way whit the macro but whit out luck. because i can changes course from vrinsight as it have the macro for the buttons so thet is not a problem it is the rotation button speed

also if we look at goflight whit out any macro you can use it by default as if you set climb altitude to 10000ft on the goflight it fly to the altitude given by goflighthardware and not the show in the add-on it is a small bug and some thing you can live whit. but just wundering about vrinsight if a luaprograming could acces and sen the sam info as goflight as i was reading your dokument about the lua programing and there was different ways to get info from and to the vrinsight device.

well i can program the buttons or should we say give it macro but not lua.

But there again, for default aircraft and many add-on aircraft you don't need any macros or Lua programming at all. All of the FS controls are available for direct assignment, and those that aren't can be done much more easily with simple writing values to offsets using the offset controls.

"Macros" were first added to FSUIPC just to allow multiple actions on a single button -- a list of separate commands could be programmed as a sequence in a macro. that's all.

"Mouse macros" were a way of using the existing macro facilities to make direct calls into some Add-On aircraft's Gauge code. Really this is what is known as "hacking" -- the macros defined actually contain the address, in code, of a particular part of the Gauge code which has to be called to do something. I only managed to make that easy-ish to do by hooking all of the code entries for Gauges written in a very specific way -- according to certain FS SDK rules.

Theoretically similar entry points could be found for all sorts of code, but it would need programming and debugging expertise and hacking tools to find those not written to these "rules".

The only "Lua" needed is when some PROGRAMMING is actually needed. I am not aware of any common controls you need to apply which needs a Lua program. The examples you can find which feature Lua programs are that way because folks were doing fairly complex things to make things easier for you. Most are collections of controls which can be assigned in any case, or macros to write to local gauge variables ("L:vars").

I've a feeling that you are really confusing local variables (L:Vars) with Lua. Lua is most definitely a programming language. L:Vars are not, they are variables specific to gauges.

... as then you would cheat the display. as in the add-on you start sim and lets say vrinsight autopilot show 10000ft but the add on shows 8000 afther last flight

I hate to keep repeating this, but you seem not to be reading what I am saying. The only reason the two disagree is because there is probably no way to READ the Add-On's numbers and show them on an external display. It is because of your choice of add-on aircraft. If you choose an aircraft which isn't suitable for such hardware then it isn't suitable for such hardware.

if you then want to set altitude whit vrinsight you can rotate the knob slow and show the same on both but if you rotate fast it shows different again.

That is NOT true for default aircraft nor for any aircraft using the default autopilot. As I keep telling you, the problem is that it may not be possible to read the altitude from your add-on. Therefore there is no way of keeping them aligned. If GoFlight is any better I'd be surprised, but if it is it is because either it has a special driver for that aircraft or it is slower doing the changes in any case. Or possibly you are using a setting for VRInsight which uses keypress encoding whereas Goflight uses controls. I really can't tell from so far away from your PC. Keypress queuing is always going to be a problem when trying to keep things aligned.

but whit lua is it then posible to get it updating the display?

If you can obtain the value to be displayed, of course. But can you? If GoFlight drivers do, how do they do it? Maybe they have a special license for software access to your particular aircraft? I really do not know. Sorry. You need someone to help who is using the same aircraft and knows more about it.

Why don't you try all this stuff with a default aircraft and see how well it can work?

Regards

Pete

well about:

If you can obtain the value to be displayed, of course. But can you? If GoFlight drivers do, how do they do it? Maybe they have a special license for software access to your particular aircraft? I really do not know. Sorry. You need someone to help who is using the same aircraft and knows more about it.

I dont know how goflight does update the display but it does if you set it up like i say in my goflight guide. but i think it is becaus it update the display if you press hdg hlod button as then they show the same, but never mind.

Why don't you try all this stuff with a default aircraft and see how well it can work?

becaus add-ons are more realistic and have all funktions.

best regards Lars

I dont know how goflight does update the display but it does if you set it up like i say in my goflight guide. but i think it is becaus it update the display if you press hdg hlod button as then they show the same, but never mind.

Sorry, I don't understand that sentence.

Does the GoFlight display show the same as the Add-On display IF you change the display using the gauge buttons on screen? i.e. NOT using GoFlight?

If so, then they are reading the value from some place. And you should be able to do the same when programming the VRInsight displays.

If not then they are timing or delaying their changes to make sure the run-away you see with VRInsight doesn't happen. If you want VRInsight to do that too, you would need to write to them.

You could probably emulate the slowing down of updates by programming the VRInsight adjustments in FSUIPC -- there will be 4 (FOUR) buttons to program in FSUIPC -- slow clockwise, fast clockwise, slow counter-clockwise and fast counter-clockwise. For each, you may need to program both "press" and "release", or only one. I don't know. Try it and see.

becaus add-ons are more realistic and have all funktions.

Yes, but then you need to choose those among them which care about folks using hardware with their aircraft.

Regards

Pete