The simFlight Network Forums

Key presses as individual throttle controls?

Hi all, Tore here. I'm considering getting the advanced /payware version, but I have a question that's a bit of a show-stopper for me.

I have an X52 and I'd like to assign key presses to individual throttle axises. I've got a master throttle, but it doesn't cut it when I have to use differential thrust.

There are three small up/down rocker switches on the base of the stick which act as six buttons. see pic:

technology_040a_001.jpg

So in other terms I'd love to add the following commands:

button 9 = "engine 1 throttle increase" with medium repeat speed

button 10 = "engine 1 throttle decrease" with medium repeat speed

button 11 = "engine 2 throttle increase" with medium repeat speed

button 12 = "engine 2 throttle decrease" with medium repeat speed

I tried it in FSX's own control setup, but it won't allow anything but sliders to do individual throttle controls. I've also dabbling with the Saitek macro function, but without luck. so perhaps FSUIPC registered version could do the trick. Can't find anything in the manual about it either.

... perhaps FSUIPC registered version could do the trick. Can't find anything in the manual about it either.

Part of the FSUIPC documentation is a List of FSX controls. And the manual does say you can assign buttons or keypresses to any of them. If you look in the list of controls you will find lots of Throttle controls, so how come you missed them? These are the relevant ones for your needs:

THROTTLE1_DECR	65966	
THROTTLE1_DECR_SMALL	66635	
THROTTLE1_INCR	65964	
THROTTLE1_INCR_SMALL	65965	
THROTTLE2_DECR	65971	
THROTTLE2_DECR_SMALL	66636	
THROTTLE2_INCR	65969	
THROTTLE2_INCR_SMALL	65970	
THROTTLE3_DECR	65976	
THROTTLE3_DECR_SMALL	66637	
THROTTLE3_INCR	65974	
THROTTLE3_INCR_SMALL	65975	
THROTTLE4_DECR	65981	
THROTTLE4_DECR_SMALL	66638	
THROTTLE4_INCR	65979	
THROTTLE4_INCR_SMALL	65980

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

RTFM, I get it. I'm sorry but those manuals could just as well be atomic submarine techincal manuals for all I understand of it. :oops:

So while I'm at it, a follow up question. I can't find any command for "left engines" and "right engines", as I'd like to be able to do differential throttle control without reprogramming every time I switch from two to four engine airplanes or back. Is this doable? I know FSX has a native command for that, for those who have dual throttles.

RTFM, I get it. I'm sorry but those manuals could just as well be atomic submarine techincal manuals for all I understand of it. :oops:

The assignment of buttons to controls is surely easy enough? There are even pictures in the document showing what the option pages look like. Don't they help? And doesn't the word "Throttle" used at the beginning of a listed control, viewable in the drop-down when you come to assign a button, mean anything to you?

Sorry, just saying you understand nothing helps neither you nor me. Tell me exactly why you cannot work out how to simply assign a button and I'll try to understand why you find the manual so bad. Do you find FS's own documentation so much better? If so, please show me where you are looking.

So while I'm at it, a follow up question. I can't find any command for "left engines" and "right engines"

They are not called "left engines" and "right engines", but they are numbered, as in the real world, from 1 extreme left to 4 extreme right, depending how many you have. Normal arrangements are 1, 1 -- 2, 1 -- 2 -- 3, and 1-2 -- 3-4. There are separate controls for each engine as well as the generic controls for all together. In the list I gave you the numbers 1 to 4 in the control name refer to the engine.

as I'd like to be able to do differential throttle control without reprogramming every time I switch from two to four engine airplanes or back. Is this doable?

FSUIPC allows you to have different button and axis assignments, different calibrations, different keypresses, etc, for each aircraft specifically, or you can use Profiles to set up specific setups for different types of aircraft.

But really, if you don't understand any of the documentation at all I wouldn't advise you to spend any money on these things. I can help with specific questions But I am not about to give lengthy tutorials. The manual is as good as I can make it (without further constructive feedback, in any event), and includes the results of feedback over the 12 years of FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete