The simFlight Network Forums

Joystick exclude possible?

Hi Pete,

Is it possible to exclude a joystick via a key or button assignment?

I mean, I have a throttle that I would like to exclude (like unplugging it from the USB port) during certain phases of the flight, because it interferes with the autothrottle.

Is it possible to do so via FSUIPC assignments?

Thank you and best regards,

James

I have a throttle that I would like to exclude (like unplugging it from the USB port) during certain phases of the flight, because it interferes with the autothrottle.

Is it possible to do so via FSUIPC assignments?

Only by switching aircraft to one without those assigned.

Far better surely to simply use the ready-made facility to disconnect and reconnect throttles? Assign a button or keypress or two to "Throttles Off" and "Throttles On" in the FSUIPC assignments drop-down. You could even make those execute automatically when enabling or disabling the A/T -- program "AT on" and "throttles off" on the same button (as press and release if you don't want to edit the INI file), and similarly for "A/T off" and "throttles on".

Regards

Pete

Pete, unfortunately this doesn't work, because "throttle off" means that also autothrottle doesn't work, not only the joystick.

At takeoff with the Leonardo MD80, I want to exclude the joystick when I arm the A/T, because otherwise the joystick position interferes with the A/T. If I press the "throttle off" button, also the A/T is excluded and the power doesn't increase to takeoff power.

Pete, unfortunately this doesn't work, because "throttle off" means that also autothrottle doesn't work, not only the joystick.

That would only be the case if your autothrottle program is using the joystick control to operate. I didn't know anything did that and it isn't very clever when you think about it,unless that software also intercepts the real joystick and stops it operating (like FS itself does, for instance). For such an implementation there's no easy answer. You need to ask the authors how they expected you to use their A/T.

Of course, your real joystick should not be interfering if it isn't being moved and isn't jittering, because both FS and FSUIPC only use the joystick inputs if they change. If they are jittering you need to park them in a dead position -- make your idle or max zones bigger and park them there.

Regards

Pete

I found that this happens on the Maddog Leonardo and on the 767 LevelD.

Well there are many hundreds of LevelD users for sure. They can't all be flying without A/T all the time, surely?

The answer must be to stop your throttle jittering. Either park it in a stable spot (or make your dead zones wider), or assign in FSUIPC and make the Delta larger to cover the jitter. The trouble with a larger delta value is that you get coarser control.

Regards

Pete

Pete, unfortunately also playing with the delta did not help. The 767 LDS is different from the Maddog because when you engage the A/T the joystick is automatically excluded (as if you unplugged it from the USB port), while in the Maddog the A/T still feels the position of the joystick lever and is influenced by it, with disappointing results.

Now, since the FSUIPC "throttle off" trick excludes also the A/T, the only solution is parking the throttle lever to idle position, even if, besides being not realistic, you loose the exciting part of the takeoff, that is the hand pushing the throttle to full (or reduced) thrust to accelerate and lift off the airplane...

Pete, unfortunately also playing with the delta did not help. The 767 LDS is different from the Maddog because when you engage the A/T the joystick is automatically excluded (as if you unplugged it from the USB port), while in the Maddog the A/T still feels the position of the joystick lever and is influenced by it, with disappointing results.

But unless they've programmed their own reading of the joystick, which would mean assigning it in their software not FS or FSUIPC, the aircraft would only receive any conflicting values from the throttle if they were changing. Neither FS nor FSUIPC take notice of values which remain static.

Now, since the FSUIPC "throttle off" trick excludes also the A/T

Only because they are indistinguishable, the way that aircraft is programmed!

the only solution is parking the throttle lever to idle position, even if, besides being not realistic, you loose the exciting part of the takeoff, that is the hand pushing the throttle to full (or reduced) thrust to accelerate and lift off the airplane...

Why not park it in the full throttle position? You should have a dead zone at both ends -- unless you've not followed the advice I provide in the documentation. ALWAYS calibrate the maximum a little BEFORE the maximum value the lever can provide. This does too things: it ensures you can always reach maximum even with variations in joystick readings (which do occur, due to temperature and voltage), and it provides another place to park the throttle, just as you need here.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all,

I have had the same problem with my X52 throttle, i.e. the maddog autothrottle "fighting" against the x52 throttle lever position and making jittering. The solution is to disable throttle via FS->OPTIONS>CONTROLS (delete throttle asignment to prevent flight simulator to control the throttle) and asign the throttle axis via fsuipc. To do this go to AXIS ASIGNMENT at FSUIP, move the throttle, mark SEND DIRECT TO FSUIPC CALIBRATION, and select this axis as THROTTLE. It worked perfect for me and I have been looking for a solution a long time until I found it!! No more jittering.

Hope this works for you.