The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS

Pete,

In reply to your email -

===================================================================

Hi Dean,

>> What I've also noticed is that when the main FSX window opens, in windowed mode, the title bar only displays 'MS FSX'. It's only after a few seconds that it displays 'MS FSX with wideserver:waiting for clients'. Maybe it's been that way since a previous FSUIPC upgrade. I only noticed since i switched to window mode when setting up Edzok cameras. <<

No, it has ALWAYS waited until FS is fully ready to fly before enabling. It always delayed a few seconds to let things settle. This is as it has been for 12 years.

151 Trying TCP/IP host "Fs-Rig" port 8002 ...

151Okay, IP Address = 81.200.64.50

Is that REALLY the IP address of your "Fs-Rig"? Usually they are 192.168.xxx.yyy. That looks more like an Internet or Router external IP address. Have you explicitly given Wideclient that IPaddress, or it that what it gets automaticaly? If so, you have a router problem. Try giving the IP address explicitly.

=================================================================

The FS-Rigs IP addy is currently 192.168.0.195. If I explicitly state this then connecting is not an issue. If I state 'FS-Rig' as I always have done, I get that error. No idea where that IP is being called from as my IP address right now begins 86.25.**.** It means I now have to check the IP everytime I start the FS-Rig as the network gets shut down every night and three, sometimes four machines aren't always started in the same order.

Whatever has changed on the client or the server, is fairly recent. Maybe a new piece of software or an update.

--Dean

The FS-Rigs IP addy is currently 192.168.0.195. If I explicitly state this then connecting is not an issue. If I state 'FS-Rig' as I always have done, I get that error. No idea where that IP is being called from as my IP address right now begins 86.25.**.**

Well that address, the one which Windows says matches the name you gave, appears to belong to advancedsearch.virginmedia.com, as I found by using an IP search on-line. Here are the details:

Base Record Name IP Reverse Route AS

advancedsearch.virginmedia.com a 81.200.64.50

United Kingdom

81.200.64.0/22

Skye by Nominum

AS49249

NOMINUM-SKYE-RIPE-1 Nominum Limited

panremmus.co.uk a 81.200.64.50

United Kingdom

advancedsearch.virginmedia.com

virginmedia.com com uk co.uk

I don't know if you are on Virgin Media, but it sort of looks like it.

It means I now have to check the IP everytime I start the FS-Rig as the network gets shut down every night and three, sometimes four machines aren't always started in the same order.

I've always found it best to use fixed IP addresses for all my PCs. I have many, and they all get IP addresses assigned by me. It is also more efficient as it stops each and every PC doing a search request every second or so. That used to be one of the causes of stutters in FS -- I've always recommended using fixed IP addresses on local networks.

Whatever has changed on the client or the server, is fairly recent. Maybe a new piece of software or an update.

I think it's usually something to do with security masking on routers, but it could be elsewhere I suppose. It's happened a few times over the years. Folks do sort it out, I think, but no one ever seems to come back and explain what did it now how to fix it. Maybe they all use fixed IP addresses as I recommend.

Regards

Pete

Yes I am with Virgin, but I still don't understand why it should now find that ip when I've always used the ServerName= FS-Rig option which has worked fine for years.

My machines are given their own internal ip addresses assigned by DHCP from the D-LINK DIR-655 Router. IP's 192.168.0.2 up to 0.255. So I can give each machine its own one of these ip's and it will remain fixed? I didn't think that was possible.

--Dean

My machines are given their own internal ip addresses assigned by DHCP from the D-LINK DIR-655 Router. IP's 192.168.0.2 up to 0.255. So I can give each machine its own one of these ip's and it will remain fixed? I didn't think that was possible.

Yes it is certainly possible. Simply find the Network Properties for your local area connection, On the General tab you'll see a list of items. Scroll down and find the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" entry. Select it, then click Properties. Change the "Obtain an IP address automatically" to "Use the following IP address".

Enter your fixed IP address. The mask will be 255 255 255 0. Enter the IP address of your router (which will be fixed -- it's the one you use to set it up etc, presumably 192.168.0.1 as that isn't in your range) as "default gateway" and also as "preferred DNS server". You don't need an alternate one.

The router will still also provide a DHCP service so any visiting notebook PCs and so on can be connected without a specific IP address, and the router will avoid assigning them any IP addresses already specifically in use.

Regards

Pete

• 4 months later...

Pete,

I have successfully used FSUIPC and WideFS in the past. I just purchased the latest version of FSUIPC with WideFS and successfully downloaded the software and installed in on my computer. I have downloaded WideClient but have been unable to install it as it says it is waiting to connect. I have tried all the things you suggested in this post. I have searched this site as well as others. I have tried all of your suggestions, however when I do I am unable to connect to the internet. I have tried to assign each computer its own IP address. I have checked that each computer has a different name and that the network name is the same. I am able to connect to the internet by wireless connection or cable to each computer. I have tried to install WideClient using wireless and network cable and neither connects. I have DSL service from my telephone company and use their router. However, their router only has 4 ports, not enough for my 6 computers so I have a linksys router that connects my computers to the DSL router. Perhaps there is a better way to connect these computers. I welcome your advice as to how to proceed as I cannot go any further until I can get WideClient fuctional. Thanks.

Tom Kellogg

I have successfully used FSUIPC and WideFS in the past. I just purchased the latest version of FSUIPC with WideFS and successfully downloaded the software and installed in on my computer

You only purchase either FSUIPC3 + WideFS6 (for FS9 or earlier), or FSUIPC4 + WideFS7 (for FSX and ESP). There's no specific version numbers you purchase, but the earliest supported version numbers are 3.98 and 4.60 respectively.

Rather than say "latest" please always quote version numbers. Also always check the Announcements here in the Forum, please. You will see much later versions, with details of what has changed, in the Updates announcement. If your versions really aren't the latest, please update and try again before coming back.

I have downloaded WideClient but have been unable to install it as it says it is waiting to connect.

You must have installed it otherwise you couldn't have run it, and if it isn't running it couldn't possibly say it was waiting to connect!

I have tried all the things you suggested in this post.

This post? Why not refer to the documentation supplied? Have you been through that at all? That's what it is for!

I have searched this site as well as others. I have tried all of your suggestions, however when I do I am unable to connect to the internet.

Er, what suggestion can possibly have anything to do with the Internet? You need to be a lot more specific. Nothing to do with anything I've ever "suggested", or documented, has anything whatsoever to do with the Internet!

I have tried to assign each computer its own IP address. I have checked that each computer has a different name and that the network name is the same.

What do you mean by "network name"? Do you mean the workgroup?

I have tried to install WideClient using wireless and network cable and neither connects.

Installing WideClient is merely a matter on placing the WideClient.exe in a folder of your choice on the client PC(s). There is nothing else to installing it. That cannot possible go wrong!

I have DSL service from my telephone company and use their router. However, their router only has 4 ports, not enough for my 6 computers so I have a linksys router that connects my computers to the DSL router. Perhaps there is a better way to connect these computers.

How they are all connected makes not one iota of difference to WideFS. The only thing you need to make sure of is that your computers can see each other on the Network. You've not mentioned at all whether your network is working at all. I cannot tell you how to make a working network -- Microsoft's help should be enough and plenty more than I can offer.

I welcome your advice as to how to proceed as I cannot go any further until I can get WideClient fuctional. Thanks.

First get your Network working. When all PCs can see each other and you can exchange files and so on between them all using Windows Explorer, then, and only then, try WideFS.

I'm surprised you say you've researched so much about troubleshooting WideFS and never encountered any requests for viewing Log files. They are the paramount most important bits of information, as they say exactly what is going on.

In the FS modules folder (you haven't even said whether it is FSX, FS9 or whatever) you will find the FSUIPC.LOG (or FSUIPC4.LOG) and the WideServer.LOG. Make sure FS is not running and show me both of those. In the same folder as the obviously already installed WideClient, on the Client PC(s) you will find a WideClient.LOG. Make sure WideClient isn't running and show me that too.

These, along with version numbers, are ALWAYS needed!

You also haven't mentioned firewalls at all. Or versions of Windows. Do you have the firewall enabled? Default or an add-on? What Windows versions are you using? All this information may be relevant.

In your second message you say:

I took my laptop and connected to the internet with an etherent cable with no wireless connection and not on a network tried to install WideClient. Still no luck.

Now this makes me think that you've misunderstood the purpose and use of WideFS altogether!

First, as I said, installing wideclient is only a matter of putting the EXE program where you want it. There's nothing else to do unless you want to add optional parameters to its INI file. So what do YOU mean by "tried to install WideClient"?

Second, if the laptop is not connected to any network, let alone one running FS + WideServer, how do you expect WideClient to connect to WideServer on your FS PC? By magic? Please explain what it is you think WideFS can do for you! It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Internet, so whether you have an internet connection is totally irrelevant.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I will try and be more specific. I have purchased MSFS X and replaced MFSF 2004. I have purchased one additional computer and added that to my network. The new computer has Vista, the others have XP. All have the same workgroup name. The networking was working properly on MSFS 2004 and I properly installed a previous version of FSUIPC with WideFS. I just purchased FSUIPC 4 4.6 with WideFS 7 included. When I open MSFS X and click on addons it shows FSUIPC installed along with WideFS. WideFS shows enabled. I then download WideFS version 6.78. It then, based on your comments is installed as I then try to execute run when I am prompted to do so on the screen. This is when I get the message "waiting to connect." I then followed advice from your posts about assigning IP addresses to each individual computer. This does not solve the problem as I still get the message waiting to connect. In addition, I now am unable to connect to the internet. I am assuming that the message unable to connect is referring to the internet. If it is referring to connecting to other computers in the network, then I need to recheck that my network is allowing other computers to talk with one another. Am I one the right track? Also, do you know if anyone has had any problems with computers on the same network using Windows Xp and Windows Vista in different computers? Please be a little patient as this can be very overwhelming when dealing with your software, particularly when trying to troubleshoot a problem that didn't exist when I installed your software using previous versions with MSFS 2004. I will get back with you after I have checked the network to make sure that is working properly. Thanks.

The networking was working properly on MSFS 2004 and I properly installed a previous version of FSUIPC with WideFS. I just purchased FSUIPC 4 4.6 with WideFS 7 included.

The minimum supported version for FSX is version 4.60. Your purchase covers any version 4, not one specific release.

When I open MSFS X and click on addons it shows FSUIPC installed along with WideFS. WideFS shows enabled.

Fine.

I then download WideFS version 6.78. It then, based on your comments is installed as I then try to execute run when I am prompted to do so on the screen.

This is where things you describe seem wrong. what exactly is prompting you to run what? With WideClient all you get is the ZIP containing the EXE. You put that where you like (there is no prompt) and run it when you like (no prompt).

This is when I get the message "waiting to connect."

Okay. So by now you would have a WideClient log on the client PC and both an FSUIPC4 and WideServer log on the FSX PC. I need you to close down all the programs, then find those logs and show them to me.

I then followed advice from your posts about assigning IP addresses to each individual computer.

That's really hardly ever necessary. I always advised it for older PCs and Windows versions because otherwise every few seconds Windows sends messages out on the Network to ascertain other PC's addresses. That can cause small hesitations or stutters in FS. However, with modern multi-core PCs that's usually not at all noticeable.

This does not solve the problem as I still get the message waiting to connect. In addition, I now am unable to connect to the internet.

You'll need to solve your internet connection yourself. There is nothing in any of my software which has anything to do with that. You've most likely either set your IP addresses in a different subnet to your router, or have not correectly provided the router's IP address as the "gateway" in the windows settings. If you don't understand any of it I suggest you let it revert to automatic settings.

I am assuming that the message unable to connect is referring to the internet.

Not if you mean the message from WideClient that it is waiting for a connection. It has nothing at all to do with the Internet. It doesn't use it.

If it is referring to connecting to other computers in the network, then I need to recheck that my network is allowing other computers to talk with one another.

Well, yes, of course, exactly. Do you mean you've connected your PCs together and haven't even checked they can see each other yet? Please don't bother trying WideFS unless you know the network is working.

Also bear in mind that Vista's firewall is enabled by default and may block WideFS connections even if Explorer can get through.

Also, do you know if anyone has had any problems with computers on the same network using Windows Xp and Windows Vista in different computers?

Except for checking that the workgroup name is the same (Vista defaults this differently to XP), and your firewall isn't blocking the connection, no, there should be no difficulty whatsoever. I am using a mixed network with WinXP, Vista and Windows 7 on different PCs. No problems at all. But I've disabled the firewall on every one, preferring to rely on the protection my router provides.

Please be a little patient as this can be very overwhelming when dealing with your software, particularly when trying to troubleshoot a problem that didn't exist when I installed your software using previous versions with MSFS 2004.

There is really nothing needed to be done with WideFS, and there is absolutely no difference in how it behaves between FS2004 and FSX. The difference I think you have is Vista, not FS. You've probably installed it with all the UAC (User Account control) and firewall settings left to default. Vista is far too over-protective. You need to sort that out. WideFS will take care of itself. It isn't complicated, it needs virtually no attention.

Regards

Pete

Pete, Thanks for the quick responses. Obviously I have been focusing on the waiting to connect message as waiting to connect to the internet, not to other computers on my network. I have been troubleshooting the internet connections, not the network connections. I thought I disabled all firewalls. I will now focus my attention on retesting my network and then report back to you. Thanks again.

Obviously I have been focusing on the waiting to connect message as waiting to connect to the internet, not to other computers on my network.

How strange. Where did you get the idea that WideFS was an Internet accessing facility? It's only ever been about connecting FS to other PCs in your local network. You do realise its only purpose is to allow FSUIPC-interfacing applications to be run on client PCs in your network, don't you? I hope you haven't bought it thinking it was going to let you browse the Internet or something!

Pete

Pete,

I recognize that the purpose is not to connect to the internet. When WideFS 6.78 was downloaded to get the zip file of WideClient.exe and it prompted me to click on run, the waiting to connect I thought had to do with connecting to the internet to finish installing or downloading additional information for the program. This is what led me down the path of checking my internet connections and trying the different ip address. Now that I know waiting to connect refers to connecting to other computers in the network I will retest my network connections. My network had been working properly, however when Bellsouth installed a wireless router some time ago, I had a problem connecting to the internet. In developing a solution to my internet connection problems, they may have made changes that are affecting my network. Based on the information you have provided, I suspect my problems are related to the connections in my network, since FSUIPC downloaded and installed with no problems It only makes sense to me that WideFS 6.78 should have downloaded with no problems as well. Pete, when I downloaded an earlier version of FSUIPC back in 2005 or 2006, their was a Used Manual included in the download. In the latest version there is an Installation Guide but no User's Guide. Is there a current version of the User's Guide and if so, where can I find it? I know the last time I used the User's Guide a lot when I needed additional information.

I recognize that the purpose is not to connect to the internet. When WideFS 6.78 was downloaded to get the zip file of WideClient.exe and it prompted me to click on run

No, not my program!! Are you sure that's not simply an option in whatever program you used? The WideFS and WideClient ZIPs are just zipped up files, with WideClient.EXE being one of them. There's absolutely nothing in WideFS that prompts you to do anything!

when I downloaded an earlier version of FSUIPC back in 2005 or 2006, their was a Used Manual included in the download. In the latest version there is an Installation Guide but no User's Guide.

Oh dear. Haven't you read any of it? It surely isn't difficult to see.The installation guide starts off, immediately after the Title details, with this

Contents of package

As well as the document you are now reading, this package contains “Install FSUIPC4.exe” that will install the following parts in a Modules folder, or a subfolder within this called FSUIPC Documents, which will be created if necessary, in your FSX (and/or ESP) folder(s):

FSUIPC.dll The FS module itself, version 4.60 (in the Modules folder)

and these in the Modules\FSUIPC Documents folder:

followed by a list of all the extras installed for you.

I know the last time I used the User's Guide a lot when I needed additional information.

I can't understand how you'd think to read a User's Guide when you can't even refer to the Installation guide. It makes no sense to me how you can miss these things. :-(

Pete

I have read the installation guide that comes with FSUIPC. I have also reviewed the WIDEFS User's guide. I am referring to a User's Guide for FSUIPC which I did not see in either download. My older Version of FSUIPC had a User's Guide for FSUIPC included in the download.

I have read the installation guide that comes with FSUIPC. I have also reviewed the WIDEFS User's guide. I am referring to a User's Guide for FSUIPC which I did not see in either download. My older Version of FSUIPC had a User's Guide for FSUIPC included in the download.

Evidently you have NOT actually even referred to the Installation guide section I just pointed you to, let alone read it properly if at all, as it tells you exactly where to find all of the documentation and other extras which are installed with FSUIPC! That is why I referred you to it! :( :(

Pete

I do not understand why you think I haven't referred to the installation manual. If I hadn't, I would not have known where to check on whether FSUIPC had successfully loaded in FSX. My problem was I was focusing on problems with the network. I spent hours working on this and even upgraded all of my computers from Vista and XP to Windows 7 and still had the problem. I was planning on updating anyway so now it is done. I then reread the installation guide as I was having problems locating the MSFS X modules folder. However, initially I was more focused on the problem being my network. I had problems finding the MSFS X module folder because it was not in the program files in Windows 7. I finally located the MSFS X folder under program files (x86). From here it was easy to find the FSUIPC documents folder where I found the FSUIPC User's guide where I easily found the solution to my problem.

In your manual you write;

For Windows Vista and Windows 7

If you have installed FSX or ESP in its default folder (or any folder within "Program Files" or "Program Files x86)", then Windows will be protecting the folders against normal user access. This applies even if you are the PC's administrator.

The best and cleanest way out of this would have been never to allow FS to install into Program Files in the first place. Instead some nice easy folder like C:\FSX would be better, much better. However, assuming it is too late now, what can you do?

First off, to be sure you can actually manipulate the real files in the FS folders, run Windows Explorer "as administrator". That means right clicking on it or its shortcut and selecting "run as administrator". That gives it elevated administrator privileges.

Once I saw this I opened under administrator and my problem was solved.

I would like to make a suggestion that may help future Users. Include this language in the installation guide in addition to the User's guide. God knows it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. Thanks for all of the help.

Welcome to the world of Windows Vista and Windows 7, the first couple of things all none novice users should do after installing these operating systems is turn off UAC and remember to not install any program that is older than 24 months into the default program files folder.

I do not understand why you think I haven't referred to the installation manual.

It is evident because you still asked where the FSUIPC User Guide is, and it tells you clearly in the first few lines of that Installation document, in the very section I reproduced part of for you earlier on and which you still persisted in ignoring!

You never asked where FSX or the FSX Modules folder was, which is what you now seem to say you had difficulty with, but where the FSUIPC user guide was, which was told to you in black and white in the Installation guide..

First off, to be sure you can actually manipulate the real files in the FS folders, run Windows Explorer "as administrator". That means right clicking on it or its shortcut and selecting "run as administrator". That gives it elevated administrator privileges.

Once I saw this I opened under administrator and my problem was solved.

But that is only relevant to MANIPULATING (i.e. changing or inserting files), not simply reading them. And it doesn't apply to the FSX Modules folder in any case as special provisions are automatically made for it!

I would like to make a suggestion that may help future Users. Include this language in the installation guide in addition to the User's guide. God knows it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration.

I've no idea how it would have possibly helped as it is totally irrelevant to both Installation and finding the documentation. It is never necessary to open anything under administrator unless you want to CHANGE something in one of the restricted folders. Windows simply protects the folders against changes, not against finding things and reading them!

You never have to run "as administrator" to view the FSX folders (or in fact anything in either Program Files folders), and the Modules folder is a further exception in that you CAN change things in that because it is automatically made fully read/writeable for you by the FSUIPC4 installer.

I have honestly never known anyone have any problem at all finding this folder and I am sure that trying to write about administrator mode in the Installation guide would not help anyone at all -- it is more likely to bewilder and confuse, in my opinion. The installation phase is deliberately kept to its simplest and most automatic levels, and it has worked well for four years without any of this silly hassle.

Certainly neither Program Files nor Program Files (x86) folders are hidden from you, ever. I honestly think you must have got mixed up somewhere, and it could have certainly been resolved many days ago if you had asked the question you appear to have been unsure of than the one clearly answered in the evidently unread portion of the Installation guide. :-(

Pete

Your comment about silly hassle is insulting! Having spent twenty years in business I have never found it helpful to insult a customer when questions were asked about clarification! You obviously are an expert in this area and this is one of my weaker areas. This is why I bought your software, not to be insulted by someone who appears to be deficient in basic courtesy when dealing with customer service. last post, as I find better support in the FDS forum

Your comment about silly hassle is insulting!

I don't see why! The hassle over these past so many days is quite evident -- not just for me but for you. And it turns out to be rather down to something a bit silly because the question being asked, "where is the user guide" was answered in the document purportedly read by you, and referred and answered again in my replies. I therefore think both terms apply. Why would you think them insulting? Insulting to whom, me or you? And if insulting to you, why? In what way does referring to an inanimate situation insult anyone?

I'm sorry, but the way you write and deal with things is very strange to me. I try to point to the answers, not necessarily answer directly, as this is a better way to help folks understand how things work. I pointed you to the answer to your question quite a few exchanges ago, yet you persisted in being rather blind to what I was saying. I persisted in trying to help nevertheless. I do my best, but you cannot expect me to understand that the question you are really asking, in your head, is in no real way relating to the one you put in writing.

I'm sorry you feel my support is less than perfect. Perhaps you will never come back for more. If this is the case, so be it, but I'd prefer you'd at least make an attempt to see all this in a reasonable light.

Regards

Pete