The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Monitor Facilites

Greetings All,

I am digging deeper and deeper into FSUIPC. I know just enough to be dangerous now!

I have a question about the "standard IPC variables". I am reading up on the FSUIPC monitor facilities and I would like to detect when the flight simulator's view mode is at the virtual cockpit. I am guessing there is a Base and Offset that I can read this information from. In the FSUIPC Advanced Users PDF, it references the "Programmers Guide in the SDK". I am assuming this is the FSX SDK that I installed from the FSX DVD's. I found the FSX SDK help file, but have not found any reference to the FSX information translated to BASE:OFFSET hexadecimal. Any help on where to find this info would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, I am also interested in knowing if there is a better way to read the current view information.

Thanks in advance.

I would like to detect when the flight simulator's view mode is at the virtual cockpit. I am guessing there is a Base and Offset that I can read this information from.

The "base" field in the Monitor dates back many years to when FSUIPC allowed viewing into the data areas of not only FS's GLOBALS.DLL but also many of the other interesting FS modules, like SIM1.DLL. However, there is no GLOBALS.DLL these days nor "local data" as such. As FS was gradually re-written in C++ things got encapsulated in the new object-oriented method (ugh). Most "offsets" are mapped into different places, many in FSUIPC itself. In fact in FSX and ESP all of them are in FSUIPC. There is only one unchangeable "base", reflecting that. I left the field there in case I ever needed to extend beyond the current 16-bit limit (65kb).

In the FSUIPC Advanced Users PDF, it references the "Programmers Guide in the SDK". I am assuming this is the FSX SDK that I installed from the FSX DVD's.

No. It refers to the FSUIPC SDK. (The FSX SDK was written by Microsoft. FSUIPC is not a Microsoft product).

Please browse the Announcements here in the Forum, or view the list of downloads available on the Schiratti site.

Regards

Pete

Greetings Pete,

Well you have come to my rescue again. I did not realize this was referring to a FSUIPC SDK. Sure enough there it is on the main Schiratti website.

Sounds like I am out of luck on view modes. Anyway, it will be interesting to check it out and see what trouble I can get into next :)