The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC - VRINSIGHT: HRESULT: 0xC000014B

Hello Pete,

this issue was a little odysee for me the last days...

all hat begun that Active Sky Evolution always needs a restart when FSX was closed. ASE never could connect again when FSX would be restarted.

Another program (EFB from AivlaSoft) shows the same behave)

The error code was HRESULT: 0xC000014B at both prgrams.

I found out, that shutting down FSX without starting a flight (just beeing in the main menu) don't cause this error.

Loading a flight causes for 100% this error. In most cases also the FSX.exe process wasn't stopping. I have to stop it via Task-Manager; but not always.

Now I found out, that this behave has to do with the VRINSIGHT stuff....

[VRInsight]

1=COM3, COM2

LogLua=Yes

disabling these lines will eleminate the error.

Enabling this lines will force the issue for 100%

Beside this behave, the interaction between VRINSIGHT and FSUIPC etc works 100% without any issues.

Do you have any idea what could help here.

FSUIPC is of course the last version 4.604

thanks very much,

Günter

Loading a flight causes for 100% this error. In most cases also the FSX.exe process wasn't stopping. I have to stop it via Task-Manager; but not always.

If a special check thread in FSUIPC4 is still running some seconds after FSX says it is closing, that thread should focibly close FSX. But that might be 10-20 seconds later.

Now I found out, that this behave has to do with the VRINSIGHT stuff....

[VRInsight]

1=COM3, COM2

LogLua=Yes

disabling these lines will eleminate the error.

Enabling this lines will force the issue for 100%

Is this with SerialFP2 running? I found that with SerialFP2 still connected FSX would not close tidily. Somehow it has to do with that COM pairing arrangement. Trying to debug it is almost impossible, as FSUIPC isn't there any more.

See if getting FSUIPC to "KILL" SerialFP2 helps. It's an option in the Run parameters.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

nice to read you again. Hope you enjoyed your days...

ok, I made endless tests...

First I added your suggested KILL

Run1=READY,KILL,E:\Program Files (x86)\SerialFP2\SerialFP2.exe

but does not help.

Then I tried to sort out if it helps if VSPE is closed before the flight is ended or if SerialFP would be ended or both etc.

I also tried out different COM pairs

But nothing really helps!

So, on my side I'm on the end what to do else...

Somehow it has to do with that COM pairing arrangement

It seems that hits the nail, but I don't know what we could do now to solve this.

Hopefully you have a nice idea????

Could this connection interrupted before ending FS?

many thanks,

Guenter

But nothing really helps!

Hmmm. Shame. It seems worse on your system than mine. Here mostly everything closes fine, but sometimes it needs the FSUIPC thread I mentioned to kill the process after more seconds. I rarely get FSX simply not terminating -- at least not on the system on which my test VRI devices are connected.

I do get FSX sometimes not terminating correctly on my main FSX PC -- no VRI devices. It is to do with SimConnect and one of the add-ons using it. I'm not sure which -- could be ASE, UT2, AddOnManager, FollowMe or any of a number. I guess I should try a process of elimination, but generally I know when it has not terminated because "FR Limiter's" display doesn't close, so it isn't really a problem.

So, on my side I'm on the end what to do else...

See if it is related to some combination of VRI serial use and one or more other Add-Ons. There are so many threads going on I suspect one isn't reacting correctly.

I've not got time to investigate further here for a week or so. But I'll have another look then.

Could this connection interrupted before ending FS?

It is on the FSUIPC side. As soon as FSUIPC is told that FSX is closing down it kills all Lua threads, closes all open ports and frees all resources. Does your FSUIPC log show the log closing? If not, then you have an unusual case -- FSX is hanging before FSUIPC has closed.

There's one option I was going to try, and that it operating the SerialFP2 "kill" before closing my end of the COM link. But I think you said closing SerialFP2 manually before closing FSX didn't help -- or am I mistaken and you've not tested this? If it worked i could change the order in FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

More than the not stopping FSX process nerves me the HRESULT issue (with SimConnect disconnection)

And I'm sure these both behaves have sth to do with each other....

There's one option I was going to try, and that it operating the SerialFP2 "kill" before closing my end of the COM link. But I think you said closing SerialFP2 manually before closing FSX didn't help -- or am I mistaken and you've not tested this? If it worked i could change the order in FSUIPC.

Yes, I have tested this without success...

See if it is related to some combination of VRI serial use and one or more other Add-Ons.

Both, Active Sky and AivlaSoft show errors, but thats not the fault of these two Addons, they simply show that SimConnect isn't working any more.

I have made more tests now:

I have disabled this line in FSUIPC.ini

1=COM3, COM2

and have started SerialFP in the "old fashioned" way with the "MSFSX Original Plane" profile and everything works perfect.

I have also tried all possible combinations with VSPE started, SerialFP started etc.

But my 100% reproducible conclusion is:

when the line 1=COM3, COM2 is enabled, I get this issue.

And it doesn't matter if SerialFP is running or not!!!!

Or if it is connected or VSPE is connected or whatever

Only the line in the FSUIPC.ini causes the HRESULT issue (and disconnection from SimConnect?)

So SerialFP alone does not make any faults in my opinion,

and VSPE also does not make any problems...

Does your FSUIPC log show the log closing? If not, then you have an unusual case -- FSX is hanging before FSUIPC has closed.

Here is the log, but for me there is no unusual thing...

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.604 by Pete Dowson *********
Reading options from "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"
Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...
User Name="XXX"
User Addr="XXX"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired
Running inside FSX on Windows 7 (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)
Module base=61000000
Wind smoothing fix is fully installed
DebugStatus=15
     1996 System time = 05/05/2010 18:47:34
     1996 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
     1996 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
     4040 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\FS-SIMtimizer-1.1.0\FS-SIMtimizer\FS-SIMtimizer.exe"
     4243 Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CPU-Control\CPU_Control.exe"
     4851 LogOptions=00000000 00000001
     4851 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
     6474 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     6474 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     6474 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     6520 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     6520 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
    50482 System time = 05/05/2010 18:48:22, Simulator time = 18:47:38 (16:47Z)
    51542 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"
    51683 VRI port 1 "COM3" opened
    51683 VRI driver port 1 "COM2" also opened
    51683 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\SerialFP2\SerialFP2.exe"
    51730 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    53040 VRI FMER ("MCP Combi") detected on port COM3
    68453 Weather Mode now = Theme
    68468 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
    97204 System time = 05/05/2010 18:49:09, Simulator time = 18:47:38 (16:47Z)
    97204 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 16 secs = 38.0 fps
Memory managed: 125 Allocs, 124 Freed
********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

I've not got time to investigate further here for a week or so. But I'll have another look then.

of course, take your time.

Hopefully we could solve this problem in the end...

many, many thanks for your support!

More than the not stopping FSX process nerves me the HRESULT issue (with SimConnect disconnection)

And I'm sure these both behaves have sth to do with each other....

I've never seen that. I certainly don't understand it. I can't see how it has any relation to the VRI provisions.

But my 100% reproducible conclusion is:

when the line 1=COM3, COM2 is enabled, I get this issue.

And it doesn't matter if SerialFP is running or not!!!!

Or if it is connected or VSPE is connected or whatever

Hmm. curiouser and curiouser ...

Can you test with just 1=COM3, which is how you would do it if you programmed only in FSUIPC, without SerialFP2?

So SerialFP alone does not make any faults in my opinion,

and VSPE also does not make any problems...

Well, without the two serial ports used in FSUIPC, neither are involved in any of the serial port activities being conducted in the FS process, so really that is an incorrect conclusion. It will be the USE of these things that cause a problem, not whether they are available or not.

Does your FSUIPC log show the log closing? If not, then you have an unusual case -- FSX is hanging before FSUIPC has closed.

Here is the log, but for me there is no unusual thing...

97204 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 16 secs = 38.0 fps
Memory managed: 125 Allocs, 124 Freed

Yes, the last part shows that FSUIPC has cloosed everything and is not there any more.

Something is causing the problem and it must be something to do with serial ports.

Remind me what version of Windows you are using please. And if your serial ports are USB adapters, what adapter driver -- if FTDI, is it the latest version?

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

Remind me what version of Windows you are using please. And if your serial ports are USB adapters, what adapter driver -- if FTDI, is it the latest version?

I have WIN7 Prof 64bit. no compatibility mode for FSX

All Admin rights, UAC off

I have made a fresh install of OS these days (the error was also before, also with FSX in Vista Comp)

FTDI was latest 2.06 WHQL, but I have installed also the latest now from the FTDI Page 2.06.02

but does not help.

Can you test with just 1=COM3, which is how you would do it if you programmed only in FSUIPC, without SerialFP2?

I have tested it (1=COM3, with comma and without) and also with COM2

No SerialFP and no VSPE running

--> error

I have made you two screenshots from AivlaSoft EFB Data Provider

First one is normal without error:

efb2.jpg

the second you will see the error.

efb1.jpg

You will get the same error with Active Sky if you look into its log.

EFBs Data Provider shows me the log "live" so this is more handy for me

(btw, AivlaSoft EFB is a very nice tool; you could test the full version for it 30 days free if you want to try it yourself)

I'm very interested if you get the same error?

Start FS and Active Sky and then start a flight.

End the flight and end FS

Then, restart FS

Active Sky should now be able to reconnect to FS and show your present position if you change it from standard airport to another.

(EFB will work in the same way)

Does this work for you?

Does this also work for you if 1=COM3, COM2 is enabled?

Or do you have to end and restart Active Sky to get a connection to FS?

I hope, you get the same error: I hate it to have special issues just on my system :lol:

(which is freshly installed, no special mods, no special tools, all services run as they should)

thank you very much,

Guenter

I have WIN7 Prof 64bit. no compatibility mode for FSX

All Admin rights, UAC off

Same here.

I have made you two screenshots from AivlaSoft EFB Data Provider

First one is normal without error:

I'm afraid those show only the same info as you put into the thread title.

You will get the same error with Active Sky if you look into its log.

The error means something like "pipe broken", and the most likely reason for that is that the FSX process is still running, even though it looks closed. Please check for this -- use the Task Manager, Processes list. If "FSX.EXE" is listed, terminate it and try ActiveSky or whatever again.

I'm very interested if you get the same error?

Start FS and Active Sky and then start a flight.

End the flight and end FS

Then, restart FS

I would get an error if the "end FS" didn't end it properly. I think this is maybe what you are seeing. As I said earlier, i get this about 50% of the time on my main FSX system with no FSUIPC4 VRI device. I've never checked the error number in ActiveSky but next time I will. I expect it to be similar to yours.

Regards

Pete

Please check for this -- use the Task Manager, Processes list. If "FSX.EXE" is listed, terminate it and try ActiveSky or whatever again.

Yes, already checked: FSX process is closed proper!

This happens sometime, too, but I have sorted now out, that the HRESULT error does not mean automatically that FSX process does not close

Yes, already checked: FSX process is closed proper!

This happens sometime, too, but I have sorted now out, that the HRESULT error does not mean automatically that FSX process does not close

But I don't understand, then, how SimConnect connections can go wrong on a complete restart of FSX. When the process is closed there should be no part of SimConnect left. Are you leaving ASE running whilst closing and reloading FSX? Maybe it's process copy of SimConnect DLL is getting somehow confused with its Pipe?

Pete

unfortunately not better.....

Shame. The comms code in that version is the smallest, simplest I can make it and still have it work.

I can't repro the problem here, only the occasional one with FSX never terminating, and as I said, that occurs without any VRi stuff involved.

I wonder why no one else has reported these problems?

Regards

Pete

I can't repro the problem here, only the occasional one with FSX never terminating, and as I said, that occurs without any VRi stuff involved.

Your ASE (or AivlaSoft EFB) is reconnecting?

Thats not goodfor me :wink:

I wonder why no one else has reported these problems?

I don't wonder... I think that not many people use this wonderful VRInsight mod.

And the error does not come really up. Only if you wonder about, why you have to restart ASE to get a reconnection. That was how my journey was starting...

Or it is simply just on my system.... but with everything fresh installed I wonder...

language difficulties (german OS)? not really, or?

Your ASE (or AivlaSoft EFB) is reconnecting?

I cannot really test that aspect at present. My cockpit system, to which I can connect ASE, is in disarray whilst changes are being made. I'll do a real test next week. Meanwhile I shall keep thinking of things to try. Is it okay to use you as guinea pig, to try things? I will have to follow a process of elimination, bypass different bits of the VRI additions. It means those probably won't work in any interim test versions, which I shall number 4.608a, b, c etc.

I'll let you know when i have thought of the next one to try. 4.608 was like previous, working okay, but with no overlapped comms I/O, so okay for FS but a little less efficient for the Lua program.

And the error does not come really up. Only if you wonder about, why you have to restart ASE to get a reconnection. That was how my journey was starting...

Okay. I'll concentrate on that. I thought it was to do with FSX not terminating properly. I've no idea how the VRI side of things mucks SimConnect in other processes up. Only trial and error will tell ...

Tomorrow, maybe ...

[LATER]

... meanwhile, please keep tests simplified by having only the single COM port (no VSPE, no SerialFP2), and also no Lua loading for the device -- temporarily remove the VRInsight section in the INI file. If you haven't already tried that simplification, perhaps you could try now, please -- it will make the difference between multiple thread access to the COM port and single (main) thread access.

Also, another test, with only Lua opening the ports: in the example Lua plugins provided, find VRI_SetMach.lua (you may be already using this). Instead of having any VRInsight sections at all in the INI file, edit that Lua so that these lines show your normal two COM ports

VRIdriver = "COM2"

VRIdevice = "COM5"

then run the Lua program, THEN SerialFP2. This should operate in the same way as the INI file automatic settings. See if it makes any difference.

Regards

Pete

Is it okay to use you as guinea pig, to try things?

:mrgreen: yes, of course.

Also, another test, with only Lua opening the ports:

tested this shortly.

FSUIPC.log says a connection but got no connection to SerialFP.

But the error does not come up when ending FSX.

I have right now not the time for further testings... just again this evening.

thanks meanwhile....

Also, another test, with only Lua opening the ports:

tested this shortly.

FSUIPC.log says a connection but got no connection to SerialFP.

But the error does not come up when ending FSX.

Interesting. It works okay here with the MCP Combi -- it was that way of doing things which I used when developing the Lua programs as it saves having to re-load FS every time you make a small change to the Lua coding. Are you sure you set both COM ports correctly and that SerialFP2 was looking at the correct one?

I have right now not the time for further testings... just again this evening.

Okay. Please enable VRInsight logging in FSUIPC (Debug=Please and LogExtras=x4 lines in the [General] section of the INI file). I'd like to see why yours is different.

At least it is progress that there was no problem after FSX restart. That eliminates a lot of code and allows me to concentrate on a smaller part.

Regards

Pete

Right. As well as enabling logging (Debug=Please and LogExtras=x4) and redoing the above test, when you get time can you please download 4.608a:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/FSUIPC4608a.zip

And run three separate tests to see what may occur with this problem:

1. No SerialFP2, no VSPE, the single device COM port defined in the INI, no Lua file loading.

Load up FSX, let it fully initialise etc. Close FSX. Save the Log.

Does the ASE problem occur?

2. Similar: No SerialFP2, no VSPE, the single device COM port defined in the INI, no Lua file loading.

Add "TestOptions=x400" line to FSUIPC4.INI [General] section.

3. Similar: No SerialFP2, no VSPE, the single device COM port defined in the INI, no Lua file loading.

Change the line to "TestOptions=x800" line to FSUIPC4.INI [General] section.

Between them, these pretty much eliminate all the code which is peculiar to FSUIPC's explicit VRI handle, in contrast to the pure Lua-comms handling only which was the subject of the last test you did yesterday (and which I'm still curious about as to why it didn't let SerialFP2 attach -- log awaited).

Thanks & Regards

Pete

ok, this would be a long post....

regarding to one post above the last:

Are you sure you set both COM ports correctly and that SerialFP2 was looking at the correct one?

No, I'm not!

If I start SerialFP without starting VRISetMach.lua before, SerialFP connects to COM3 with success!

Now case 1)

I insert into VRISetMach.lua my lines to the following:

VRIdriver = "COM2"

VRIdevice = "COM3"

If I start a flight now (no VSPE), start the VRISetMach.lua and start then SerialFP, I get no connection to SerialFP.

I always try several times with AUTO, SerialFP is searching but does not connect

In the FSUIPC.log is following:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.608 by Pete Dowson *********
Reading options from "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"
User Name="xxx"
User Addr="xxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
Module base=61000000
DebugStatus=15
       93 System time = 07/05/2010 16:29:21
      109 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
      109 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
     2044 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\FS-SIMtimizer-1.1.0\FS-SIMtimizer\FS-SIMtimizer.exe"
     2200 Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CPU-Control\CPU_Control.exe"
     2652 LogOptions=00000000 00000051
     2683 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
     4228 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
     4228 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     4228 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     4228 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     4290 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
     4290 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     4290 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
    53352 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    53446 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    53773 System time = 07/05/2010 16:30:14, Simulator time = 16:29:25 (14:29Z)
    54803 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"
    54975 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    76768 VRI COM3     76768 LUA: SetmodeSPDON
    76784 LUA: machmode=false
    76784 VRI COM3     76784 LUA: SetmodeSPDOF
    76799 LUA: spdmode=false
   109949 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
   109949 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 57 secs = 41.9 fps
   115144 Weather Mode now = Theme
   115144 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
   141898 System time = 07/05/2010 16:31:42, Simulator time = 16:29:25 (14:29Z)
   141898 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 57 secs = 41.9 fps
Memory managed: 161 Allocs, 161 Freed

case 2)

other way round:

VRIdriver = "COM3"

VRIdevice = "COM2"

Now I can connect SerialFP, it is connecting to COM3 always

log

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.608 by Pete Dowson *********
User Name="xxx"
User Addr="xxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
Module base=61000000
DebugStatus=15
     1997 System time = 07/05/2010 16:22:50
     1997 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
     1997 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
     3728 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\FS-SIMtimizer-1.1.0\FS-SIMtimizer\FS-SIMtimizer.exe"
     3900 Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CPU-Control\CPU_Control.exe"
     5148 LogOptions=00000000 00000051
     5179 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
     6599 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     6599 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     6599 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     6661 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
     6661 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     6661 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
    48298 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    48469 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    48641 System time = 07/05/2010 16:23:36, Simulator time = 16:22:54 (14:22Z)
    49702 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"
    49873 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    57751 VRI COM2     57751 LUA: SetmodeSPDON
    57767 LUA: machmode=false
    57783 VRI COM2     57783 LUA: SetmodeSPDOF
    57783 LUA: spdmode=false
    81978 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
    81978 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 34 secs = 40.3 fps
    87594 Weather Mode now = Theme
    87594 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
   106892 System time = 07/05/2010 16:24:35, Simulator time = 16:22:54 (14:22Z)
   106892 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 34 secs = 40.3 fps
Memory managed: 142 Allocs, 142 Freed

Are these COM numbers now right?

How can I figure out my correct port numbers wich should be added in the above lines?

All the testing above was an answer to the previous post with version 4.608

------------------------------

Now for version 4.608a and to the post direct above...

1)

the single device COM port defined in the INI,

hope this line is that what you mean in FSUIPC4.ini:

[VRInsight]

1=COM3

YES, problem occurs!

complete log

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.608a by Pete Dowson *********
User Name="xxx"
User Addr="xxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
Module base=61000000
DebugStatus=15
      811 System time = 07/05/2010 16:12:29
      827 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
      827 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
     2777 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\FS-SIMtimizer-1.1.0\FS-SIMtimizer\FS-SIMtimizer.exe"
     2980 Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CPU-Control\CPU_Control.exe"
     4072 LogOptions=00000000 00000051
     4087 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
     5569 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     5569 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     5569 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     5632 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
     5632 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     5632 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
    53508 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    53602 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    53664 VRI port 1 "COM3" opened
    53664 VRI COM3     53836 System time = 07/05/2010 16:13:22, Simulator time = 16:12:34 (14:12Z)
    55053 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"
    55053 VRI COM3     55240 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    56254 VRI COM3     57471 VRI COM3     58688 VRI COM3     59904 VRI COM3     64226 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
    65973 Weather Mode now = Theme
    65973 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
    76831 System time = 07/05/2010 16:13:45, Simulator time = 16:12:34 (14:12Z)
    76831 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 11 secs = 33.9 fps
Memory managed: 119 Allocs, 119 Freed

2) added TestOptions=x400

Problem occurs

log:

User Name="xxx"
User Addr="xxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
Module base=61000000
DebugStatus=15
      140 System time = 07/05/2010 16:15:34
      156 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
      156 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
     2184 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\FS-SIMtimizer-1.1.0\FS-SIMtimizer\FS-SIMtimizer.exe"
     2387 Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CPU-Control\CPU_Control.exe"
     3635 LogOptions=00000400 00000051
     3650 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
     5023 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     5023 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     5023 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     5070 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
     5070 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     5070 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
    48688 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    48782 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    48797 VRI port 1 "COM3" opened
    49078 System time = 07/05/2010 16:16:23, Simulator time = 16:15:39 (14:15Z)
    50123 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"
    50310 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    66503 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
    68235 Weather Mode now = Theme
    68235 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
    81885 System time = 07/05/2010 16:16:56, Simulator time = 16:15:39 (14:15Z)
    81885 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 18 secs = 39.5 fps
Memory managed: 125 Allocs, 125 Freed

3) TestOptions=x800

problem occurs

User Name="xxx"
User Addr="xxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
Module base=61000000
DebugStatus=15
      140 System time = 07/05/2010 16:18:53
      156 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
      156 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
     2262 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\FS-SIMtimizer-1.1.0\FS-SIMtimizer\FS-SIMtimizer.exe"
     2465 Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CPU-Control\CPU_Control.exe"
     4212 LogOptions=00000800 00000051
     4243 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
     5585 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     5585 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     5585 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     5647 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
     5647 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     5647 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
    52354 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    52447 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    52463 VRI port 1 "COM3" opened
    52463 VRI COM3     52713 System time = 07/05/2010 16:19:45, Simulator time = 16:18:58 (14:18Z)
    53758 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"
    53773 VRI COM3     53929 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    54990 VRI COM3     56207 VRI COM3     57424 VRI COM3     58641 VRI COM3     77236 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
    77236 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 25 secs = 41.7 fps
    78858 Weather Mode now = Theme
    78858 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
    92228 System time = 07/05/2010 16:20:25, Simulator time = 16:18:58 (14:18Z)
    92228 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 25 secs = 41.7 fps
Memory managed: 131 Allocs, 131 Freed

so far, hope I have provided you with all information you need....

76768 VRI COM3 <--- SPDON [from Lua Plug-in]

76768 LUA: SetmodeSPDON

76784 LUA: machmode=false

76784 VRI COM3 <--- SPDOF [from Lua Plug-in]

76784 LUA: SetmodeSPDOF

76799 LUA: spdmode=false

Aaarggghh! Sorry, my fault! That Lua was derived from my Test lua but with the loop removed. You need the original test Lua, "comloop.lua". Do you have that still from the original Beta testing? If not I can send you it.

However, it doesn't really matter for this testing because the serial port is still being used as it is normally with the FSUIPC INI parameters, yet in this case, no problem. that's the main result.

case 2)

other way round:

VRIdriver = "COM3"

VRIdevice = "COM2"

Now I can connect SerialFP, it is connecting to COM3 always

Yes, of course, because that Lua program doesn't touch "VRIdriver", having no loop in it! Sorry for misleading you. I was misleading myself too -- the bits near the beginning of that Lua about setting known ports need to be removed now. :-(

hope this line is that what you mean in FSUIPC4.ini:

[VRInsight]

1=COM3

YES, problem occurs!

Okay. That's pretty much expected from your previous findings. However, it is odd that itdidn't finish initialising the device, but perhaps it needed a reset by now.

2) added TestOptions=x400

Problem occurs

3) TestOptions=x800

problem occurs

Wow! In the first case FSUIPC is doing nothing with the Port except opening and closing. The same code as opening and closing it for the Lua program, except that it would have been opened and closed in the main FSX thread, not in the Lua thread. There will be two other threads - a reading one and a writing one, but they are identical for Lua.

Curiouser and curiouser!

I'll have a look to see how easy it is to make FSUIPC create a special thread just for the Opening and Closing. Though this seems like a futile thing to me. There must be something I'm missing here. But all of the rest of the code is effectively being bypassed now.

so far, hope I have provided you with all information you need....

Yes, thank you. Unfortunately it is still a puzzle.

Regards

Pete

I hope, that deep inside it is a bit fun for you to hunt after such issues...hopefully :lol:

Well, it's a challenge. But I do prefer to have some better clues as to what is happening. I still really haven't a clue -- although it seemed as if we were narrowing it down, it is narrowed down to nearly nothing -- i.e. no code! So it must be something different. I am now thinking it might be timing. FSUIPC is opening the COMport(s) at the same time as something esle is going on, not sure what, and something is thereby being messed up. If so, it's a bug elsewhere, maybe in SimConnect, so one I'd need to find a work--around for.

As you can see in the Logs, the ports are opened as soon as FSUIPC thinks FS is "ready to fly":

53602 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N

53664 VRI port 1 "COM3" opened

53664 VRI COM3 <--- CMDRST [from FSUIPC init]

53836 System time = 07/05/2010 16:13:22, Simulator time = 16:12:34 (14:12Z)

55053 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"

55053 VRI COM3 <--- CMDCON [from FSUIPC init]

55240 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

Originally i was opening them very early, even before connecting to SimConnect. I moved them as an experiment to get over the problems you were having with the VRI device not initialising very often. We never actually solved that issue, just messed trying different things till we got an improvement. So, maybe I should try earliermaybe before initialising SimConnect. Or else, maybe later -- I could possibly delay them till that "Advanced Weather Interface Enabled" action has completed. However, if I do that I'd also have to delay the Program loading actions, which might annoy some folks if their application starts later.

Hmmm. Thinking ...

Regards

Pete

no, HRESULT error....

this was the line I inserted in the ini:

[VRInsight]

1=COM3

log

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.608b by Pete Dowson *********
User Name="Gxxr"
User Addr="gxxx"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
Module base=61000000
DebugStatus=15
       94 System time = 07/05/2010 19:14:34
       94 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
       94 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
     2106 Run: "E:\Program Files (x86)\FS-SIMtimizer-1.1.0\FS-SIMtimizer\FS-SIMtimizer.exe"
     2309 Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\CPU-Control\CPU_Control.exe"
     2621 LogOptions=00000000 00000051
     2652 VRI port 1 "COM3" opened
     2668 VRI COM3      2668 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
     4150 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
     4165 VRI COM3      4165 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     4165 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     4165 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     4228 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
     4228 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     4228 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
     4321 VRI COM3 ---&gt; CMDCON [to FSUIPC init]
     4321 VRI COM3      4446 VRI COM3 ---&gt; CMDFMER [to FSUIPC init]
     4446 VRI COM3      4446 VRI FMER ("MCP Combi") detected on port COM3
     4508 VRI COM3 ---&gt; CMD2.520 [to FSUIPC init]
     4508 VRI COM3     55131 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    55224 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    55489 System time = 07/05/2010 19:15:30, Simulator time = 19:14:38 (17:14Z)
    56535 Aircraft="Beech Baron 58 Paint1"
    56722 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    67221 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
    68812 Weather Mode now = Theme
    68828 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
    92352 VRI COM3     92555 VRI COM3     93008 System time = 07/05/2010 19:16:07, Simulator time = 19:14:38 (17:14Z)
    93008 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 12 secs = 37.2 fps
Memory managed: 120 Allocs, 120 Freed

time for dinner....

will be back later...