The simFlight Network Forums

Error 1001:5 WideFS Client

Hi, This is my first post and hopefully I'll never have another problem that I can't find an answer to already here in the forum. I found a couple of related issues but not a close enough match to what I'm experiencing. I guess I ought to run down the systems I'm running as that will probably shorten the resoluton time.

I have three systems hardwired to a fast ethernet switch; switch connected to the internet thru a router to a cable modem. All three systems communicate with the internet. I'll refer to these as systems 3, 5 and 7 (refers to last digit of IP address).

Sys 7 is running Win 7 along with FSX and registered FSUIPC4 & WideFS ver 4.57 as well as Norton 360..

Sys 5 runs Win XP 2002 Home Ed w/SP3., WideFS and FSCommander; and an old version of Norton Corporate AV. (no problems on Sys 5 that I can tell).

Sys 3 is running Win XP 2002 Media Center Ed w/SP3; Norton 360; WideFS and Its Your Plane (IYP).

Sys 7 has the system files on the C drv and FSX on E drv. There seems to be a problem (I think with Win7, maybe a sharing problem) allowing WideFS Client and Server to communicate. More specifically, I get the error 1001:5 shortly after IYP starts. The error msg says it occured while trying to read the aircraft CFG file. After pressing OK, the client program (IYP) closes.

On Sys 3, I start WideFS and it connects almost immediately to FSX. IYP is started next and seems to be running up until it tries to get the aircraft CFG.

The aircraft CFG file exists along this path on Sys 7- FLTSIM (E:)\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\aircraft name\aircraft.cfg. I have tried to share the Microsoft Flight Simulator X directory and it says it is shared. When I look at My Network Places on Sys 5, it shows a place for "Microsoft Flight Simulator X on Sys7". When I try to open this place from Sys 5 I get an access denied msg. There is also a place for "Flight Simulator X files on Sys 7" (My Documents on Sys 7). This I can open from Sys 5 and see all the Autosave files from FSUIPC and PLNs, FLTs, WX, etc.

I have completely removed Norton 360 from both Sys 7 and Sys 5 and tried to connect with same results; msg on Sys 5 error 1001:5 while trying to read aircraft CFG. After reinstalling Norton 360 on both Sys 5 and 7, Norton establishes rules for FSX on Sys 7 and WideFS and IYP on Sys 5 when I try to connect them with WideFS. This makes me think the Norton 360 is not the problem.

I am at a loss as what to do or look at next. Please let me know what you need from me and I'll supply it as fast as I can. Thank you.

Sys 7 is running Win 7 along with FSX and registered FSUIPC4 & WideFS ver 4.57 as well as Norton 360..

Please note that 4.57 is no longer supported. You need to update to 4.60.

Sys 7 has the system files on the C drv and FSX on E drv. There seems to be a problem (I think with Win7, maybe a sharing problem) allowing WideFS Client and Server to communicate.

WideFS doesn't use or care about filesharing. If it is connecting okay and staying connected that's all it needs to do.

More specifically, I get the error 1001:5 shortly after IYP starts. The error msg says it occured while trying to read the aircraft CFG file. After pressing OK, the client program (IYP) closes.

Sounds like you need to provide filesharing for IYP at least. I think FS Commander needs some filesharing too. I've no idea what that "1001:5" refers to. Where do you see that? Is that an IYP message? IYP support is quite good, have you tried them?

The aircraft CFG file exists along this path on Sys 7- FLTSIM (E:)\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\aircraft name\aircraft.cfg.

I thought you installed FSX on as separate drive to the operating system? Why the "Program Files (x86)" part? My FSX is in "E:\FSX", and the whole folder is shared.

I have tried to share the Microsoft Flight Simulator X directory and it says it is shared. When I look at My Network Places on Sys 5, it shows a place for "Microsoft Flight Simulator X on Sys7". When I try to open this place from Sys 5 I get an access denied msg. There is also a place for "Flight Simulator X files on Sys 7" (My Documents on Sys 7). This I can open from Sys 5 and see all the Autosave files from FSUIPC and PLNs, FLTs, WX, etc.

Hmmm. Sounds like some sort of access permissions limitation. I'm really not the best person to advise on filesharing in Windows. I have had such problems in the past, and still do occasionally -- folders accessible from 6 of 7 PCs but not from the 7th. Sometimes a re-boot fixes it. I think it gets messed up by automatic Windows updates, and I've now disabled those.

I am at a loss as what to do or look at next. Please let me know what you need from me and I'll supply it as fast as I can. Thank you.

Sorry, you need someone who knows more than I do about Network filesharing. I can help if you have WideFS or FSUIPC problems, but Windows is far more complex than my programs. :-(

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Please note that 4.57 is no longer supported. You need to update to 4.60.

I'll be sure to update today to ver 4.6.

WideFS doesn't use or care about filesharing. If it is connecting okay and staying connected that's all it needs to do.

I'm glad to hear that my problem is not with WideFS. It is staying connected even after IYP terminates when IYP can not read the aircraft CFG file.

Sounds like you need to provide filesharing for IYP at least. I think FS Commander needs some filesharing too. I've no idea what that "1001:5" refers to. Where do you see that? Is that an IYP message? IYP support is quite good, have you tried them?

I should have realized that the 1001:5 msg was from IYP when WideFS stayed connected even after IYP terminated. I've never had an error msg before from IYP. I will go their forum for help on this. You are right, they do have an excellent support forum too. I think you are right about the file sharing. Win7 to XP comms is not on my resume, that is for sure. I'm supposed to get a call today from MS XP networking people about networking Win7 and XP.

I thought you installed FSX on as separate drive to the operating system? Why the "Program Files (x86)" part? My FSX is in "E:\FSX", and the whole folder is shared.

FSX is installed on a separate drive (E:) from the operating system drive (C:). This is just poor directory naming on my part, trying to emulate what happens to programs loaded on the C: drive.

I don't know if I can correct this without uninstalling and then reinstalling FSX.

Thanks again for your support and advice. I think your reply has eliminated WideFS, and my work with Norton 360, as possible culprets to my problem. That basically just leaves Win7 to XP comms and IYP. I really "feel" this is a sharing problem between Win7 and XP but I'll talk to the IYP forum and see if they have discovered something on this problem before.

Best regards,

Mike

This is just poor directory naming on my part, trying to emulate what happens to programs loaded on the C: drive.

I don't know if I can correct this without uninstalling and then reinstalling FSX.[/qquote]

No no. Leave it now. It is just awkward, not a real problem. Re-installing FSX is likely to give more problems, and you can't simple rename folders without changes all over the place.

Regards

Pete