The simFlight Network Forums

POV Hat Switch VC Mode

I just installed FSX and have FSUIPC4-coded my hat switch the same way I FSUIPC3-coded it in FS9. I've set things up exactly as shown in the example on page 35 of the FSUIPC4.57 User Guide. For example, I use PAN RIGHT on press (parm=90), to repeat, and PAN RESET COCKPIT on release.

Cockpit mode works fine, the way it did in FS9. It snaps right on press, and snaps forward on release.

In Virtual cockpit, it pans right correctly, but when I release the POV, instead of staying put, it snaps back to front view.

I could delete the PAN RESET COCKPIT on release and get Virt Cockpit to work, but then cockpit mode wouldn't be right.

I could code it per Barrie's suggestion, but I'm used to doing it this way. Any ideas?

Thanks, Gary

I could code it per Barrie's suggestion, but I'm used to doing it this way. Any ideas?

Doesn't Barrie's method do it the way you want? The only difference appears to be in the release action -- PAN_VIEW instead of RESET. What's the problem with it?

You can program it differently for different aircraft, so one solution is to rename aircraft for VC use as opposed to 2D cockpit use. But I don't understand why you'd keep swapping modes -- doesn't it get confusing?

If you want it to operate like FS's Hat Switch just program it in Axis assignments, as just PAN VIEW. It'll be smoother too, one advantage of FSUIPC4 using DirectInput unlike FSUIPC3.

Regards

Pete

Didn't try Barrie's method. The U/G specifically says it reverts to the previous view upon release so I concluded that meant if I viewed right (90), then right-down(135), then down (180), then released... that I'd revert to right-down. But upon further thought the switch must perform a release when I move between positions so... I see it would work, but be jumpy as you say.

The hat switch being a switch (not a lever of some sort) led me to believe that I couldn't program it in Axis assignments. If I can do that, it seems that would resolve my issue. On the Axis tab the hat switch shows up as Joy Y, Axis P - no matter the position to which I move it. If I select "Send to FS as normal axis" and "Pan View," is that the approach you're recommending? It will work for both modes - cockpit and VC?

Switching between modes could be confusing but I find it helpful occasionally in viewing parts of the control panel. I'm sure I could polish my "technique" and eliminate the switching, but it hasn't been a problem so far. Hell's bells... I'm confused most of the time and my dear wife seems to get a kick out of watching me. I'm 70. It's part of the process.

Best Regards, Gary

The hat switch being a switch (not a lever of some sort) led me to believe that I couldn't program it in Axis assignments.

Yes, and that was true with FSUIPC3 because of the way it used the old Windows joystick API. But in FSUIPC4 I updated to directInput and can handle the POV input either way. As an Axis it returns a value in degrees or even hundredths of degrees (depending on driver I think).

If I can do that, it seems that would resolve my issue. On the Axis tab the hat switch shows up as Joy Y, Axis P - no matter the position to which I move it. If I select "Send to FS as normal axis" and "Pan View," is that the approach you're recommending? It will work for both modes - cockpit and VC?

Yes, the same as in FS.

Regards

Pete

Well... I've assigned an axis to the hat switch but it wasn't completely satisfying. Maybe I didn't do it correctly.

I'm using profile-specific settings. On the Axis Assignment tab no matter which way I move the hat switch it shows up as Joy# Y, Axis# P. I assume you meant for me to make my selections from the left side of the window, although the right side says "This side to send button controls." The right side seems to be for buttons to be sent within a range for action. Am I correct?

So on the left side of the window I tick Send to FS as normal axis, then tick the first text entry line and select Pan View. As long as I hold the hat switch transferred, the numbers in the In/Out boxes indicate the direction in which I've moved it. When I release, both boxes display -1.

When I test my work, cockpit view works as it should but VC view is quite erratic. You said it would be smooth but it's not, so did I misread your directions? At least when I release the hat switch the view doesn't snap back to front, but I didn't expect the jumpiness. Does it sound as though I've done the right thing?

MH

On the Axis Assignment tab no matter which way I move the hat switch it shows up as Joy# Y, Axis# P.

Correct. It is a single Axis. You should not expect it to manifest itself as multiple axes. It sends a value indicating its position, just like any other single axis.

I assume you meant for me to make my selections from the left side of the window, although the right side says "This side to send button controls." The right side seems to be for buttons to be sent within a range for action. Am I correct?

Yes. Simply assign it on the left ot "PAN VIEW".

So on the left side of the window I tick Send to FS as normal axis, then tick the first text entry line and select Pan View. As long as I hold the hat switch transferred, the numbers in the In/Out boxes indicate the direction in which I've moved it. When I release, both boxes display -1.

Correct.

When I test my work, cockpit view works as it should but VC view is quite erratic. You said it would be smooth but it's not, so did I misread your directions? At least when I release the hat switch the view doesn't snap back to front, but I didn't expect the jumpiness. Does it sound as though I've done the right thing?

No one else finds it jumpy. It is never quite as smooth as FS itself because there is it used directly, but it should be almost as good. Maybe your PC is overloaded or the button scan interval is too long?

First, check in that assignment page that the Delta value is 0 or 1. It should be set that way automatically for you, but check in any case. If that is wrong then it won't be smooth as many input values will be deliberately discarded.

Second, you can try decreasing the polling interval, but take care as this can soon impact FS performance. Check the paragraph about "PollInterval" in the FSUIPC advanced user's manual. The default is 25 milliseconds, You could try 10 or even 5.

Regards

Pete