The simFlight Network Forums

PTT to IYP on Wideclient?

Hello Pete,

I'm trying to send PTT on/off events from my joystick on Wideserver PC to IYP on the wideclient PC. The Microphone Switch Key Assignment in IYP is set to SCROLL (as IYP's window shows it as Scroll Lock). The Scroll Lock keystroke event actually arrives to IYP from my joystick, because I can set it by physically pushing the button. But unfortunately IYP doesn't switch to the listening mode, unless I press and hold Scroll Lock button on the Wideclient's keyboard with my finger instead of receiving it from Wideclient.

I checked the keysend on/off events on TS and Ventrillo and they work just fine, but IYP does not.

I have the following lines in Wideclient.ini:

[user]

UseSendInput=Yes

KeySend1=145,16

KeySend2=145,24

Could you please look into this.

Thanks,

Dirk.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to send PTT on/off events from my joystick on Wideserver PC to IYP on the wideclient PC. The Microphone Switch Key Assignment in IYP is set to SCROLL (as IYP's window shows it as Scroll Lock). The Scroll Lock keystroke event actually arrives to IYP from my joystick, because I can set it by physically pushing the button. But unfortunately IYP doesn't switch to the listening mode, unless I press and hold Scroll Lock button on the Wideclient's keyboard with my finger instead of receiving it from Wideclient.

I checked the keysend on/off events on TS and Ventrillo and they work just fine, but IYP does not.

It's to do with having keyboard focus.

I have the following lines in Wideclient.ini:

[user]

UseSendInput=Yes

KeySend1=145,16

KeySend2=145,24

Could you please look into this.

You do not need any of this. IYP PTT is supported directly in FSUIPC/WideFS via windows messaging, not by keyboard codes, as this works much more reliably. Please just assign buttons or keys in FSUIPC to the IYP PTT controls in the drop-down list, exactly as documented in IYP's manual.

Regards

Pete

Thanks, Pete. IYP is on Wideclient, so if I remove these lines and switch directly to IYP for the PTT keystroke it does not arrive to IYP' PTT assignment UI, which I can see on my 2nd monitor when I check it there. Whereas otherwise it does. Anyway, I think I'm ditching IYP, it's too clumsy and not exactly for my way of flying.

Much better solution in my case just to use VAC (a light but quite versatile voice recognition payware) on my main PC and voice-send the keystrokes to my main PC that can be read by RC4 or PFEmulator installed on the Wideclient anyway.

IYP's checklists are not my cup of tea either, FS2Crew or even FDC is the way to go. In principle I find the whole arrangement quite cumbersome to send PTT from Wideserver and have IYP listen on the Wideclient then respond back with the keystrokes to Wideserver which doesn't work always good compared to the VAC method (almost faultless).

Cheers,

Dirk.

Thanks, Pete. IYP is on Wideclient, so if I remove these lines and switch directly to IYP for the PTT keystroke it does not arrive to IYP' PTT assignment UI, which I can see on my 2nd monitor when I check it there. Whereas otherwise it does.

Sorry, I've no idea what you are talking about there.

The IYP controls assignable in FSUIPC work for a local copy of IYP and any WideClient-connected version of IYP, provided you are up to date with both FSUIPC and wideClient. Please see the Updates announcement here in the Forum.

There is no keystroke involved whatsoever in the use of the correct documented controls!

Anyway, I think I'm ditching IYP, it's too clumsy and not exactly for my way of flying.

Clumsy? I find it is excellent -- especially for reading checklists for me. I don't let it fly -- I do that. It is why I have a flight simulator! ;-)

IYP's checklists are not my cup of tea either

The full 737NG ones done for a Project Magenta installation are exact and work well in line with pmSystems.

In principle I find the whole arrangement quite cumbersome to send PTT from Wideserver and have IYP listen on the Wideclient then respond back with the keystrokes to Wideserver which doesn't work always good compared to the VAC method (almost faultless).

KeyStrokes? Sorry, I think you have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick somehow!

Regards

Pete

Pete, I'm uptodate with FSUIPC/WideFS. I'm trying to make IYP recognize my voice commands on the Client, so I speak to the auido card on my Client PC so to say. IYP fails to switch to the listening mode when I press and hold the assigned button on my joystick to transmit the PTT from Server to Client via IYP Listen On/Off facility. Anyway it works if I make it through the KEYSEND facility. But not very well at all.

I agree my main purpose in IYP is not to run checklists but to voice control ATC (RC4 or PFE) installed on the Client PC in the first place, so it's quite different from how you mainly use it. As to checklists I prefer FS2Crew's approach who've gone all-voice recently.

Cheers,

Dirk.

Pete, I'm uptodate with FSUIPC/WideFS. I'm trying to make IYP recognize my voice commands on the Client, so I speak to the auido card on my Client PC so to say. IYP fails to switch to the listening mode when I press and hold the assigned button on my joystick to transmit the PTT from Server to Client via IYP Listen On/Off facility.

Hmm. I don't understand that. it works perfectly here. Make sure you don't have the button assigned to "repeat", and of course you assign the ON to "press" and the OFF to "release".

Some versions of IYP have been less reliable with this option, but the last ones I've used are fine. Robert corrects problems directly he is informed of them, so please report yours to him along with version numbers.

I agree my main purpose in IYP is not to run checklists but to voice control ATC (RC4 or PFE) installed on the Client PC in the first place, so it's quite different from how you mainly use it.

No, i use it for both RC4 and the Checklists, but none of the other facilities which IYP provides. I've been very pleased with it. I'm sorry your experience is not the same.

Regards

Pete

That sounds encouraging, I'll update IYP (which happens quite frequent as Roberts seems very prolific) and will try again. I was not sure if anybody else at all used PTT over IYP listen on/off facility on the client pc. Now it makes sense to try again and compare. Well, that talkative interface still needs to launch/reload faster and talk even less (after set to mum) or better not talk at all...

Thanks,

Dirk.

Well, that talkative interface still needs to launch/reload faster and talk even less (after set to mum) or better not talk at all...

Confused by this. Mine is set not to repeat commands (i just have the "click" noise to confirm it understood me) and pretty much everything turned off, with 'expert mode' so it doesn't keep nagging me, no music -- just checklists (on request) and RCV4 interface.

As far as launching is concerned, mine like yours also runs on a Client PC, but it is loaded via windows start-up and its run mode starts automatically quite soon after FSX is ready to fly, and certainly usually well before I've even finished checking that my overhead switches are all set to default cold-and-dark to match my default loading FSX flights. Okay, sometimes I have got the battery on, the APU started and APU generators running before it is ready, but the initial checklist soon catches up with me as IYP ticks everything off automatically.

I load plans into my CDU and then start RCV4 from a button in the cockpit using a facility in WideClient to tell RC which plan to load. IYP also gets the plan details from the pm CDU "ROUTE.BIN" file. Robert did a lot of good work integrating it all with PM, for only the 737NG as yet.

Regards

Pete

Pete, while we are at it, could you please add just a few more words about PM integration and MSFS (FSX in your case). I never understood completely how the whole PM setup worked in FS without a dedicated plane? What plane in FSX do you assign your PM cockpit to? Is there a good 737NG plane with a decent FDE that can actually fly well and carry the precise PM instruments cockpit (along with your good self)? :)

I understand you don't see any parts of the visual model of the plane you use in FS?

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: honestly, I bought IYP following your single comment that I saw somewhere only once, and I'll keep it, will try to adapt it better to my flying.

Pete, while we are at it, could you please add just a few more words about PM integration and MSFS (FSX in your case). I never understood completely how the whole PM setup worked in FS without a dedicated plane?

Dedicated? Of course the aircraft being used needs to reasonably match whatever PM supports -- see their website. But in general you have to strip out most if not all of the gauges and stuff. You only need the flight model, and optionally the aircraft body -- if you want to see the outside (not otherwise).

What plane in FSX do you assign your PM cockpit to? Is there a good 737NG plane with a decent FDE that can actually fly well and carry the precise PM instruments cockpit (along with your good self)?

I use the PMDG 737-700 or -800 from FS9, but with no panels. But I only use that because I have a good aircraft file for it for PM, made by one Stamatis Vellis in Athens long ago. The PM aircraft file tells its MCP/Autopilot/FMC what performance, fuel consumption, etc to expect. You could make one to match even the default FSX 737NG, which isn't at all bad provided you dispense with its A/P and overhead.

I understand you don't see any parts of the visual model of the plane you use in FS?

Yes, I do. In fact I've got a BA livery on my 737-700, which is of course actually fictional because BA don't use any 737NGs.

Regards

Pete

Pete, while we are at it, could you please add just a few more words about PM integration and MSFS (FSX in your case). I never understood completely how the whole PM setup worked in FS without a dedicated plane?

Dedicated? Of course the aircraft being used needs to reasonably match whatever PM supports -- see their website. But in general you have to strip out most if not all of the gauges and stuff. You only need the flight model, and optionally the aircraft body -- if you want to see the outside (not otherwise).

What plane in FSX do you assign your PM cockpit to? Is there a good 737NG plane with a decent FDE that can actually fly well and carry the precise PM instruments cockpit (along with your good self)?

I use the PMDG 737-700 or -800 from FS9, but with no panels. But I only use that because I have a good aircraft file for it for PM, made by one Stamatis Vellis in Athens long ago. The PM aircraft file tells its MCP/Autopilot/FMC what performance, fuel consumption, etc to expect. You could make one to match even the default FSX 737NG, which isn't at all bad provided you dispense with its A/P and overhead.

Yes, I do. In fact I've got a BA livery on my 737-700, which is of course actually fictional because BA don't use any 737NGs.

Regards

Pete

Wow, that's interesting! Particularly the very last comment regarding BA. :D I was shocked to see how many airbuses there were in service in US, actually the only planes I flew (NY Ca Il back and forth) last/this year were A320 and E-195.

I've saved the discussion in a safe corner of my HDD, I always get back to it at some point.

Thanks again,

Dirk.