The simFlight Network Forums

Mic button programming - TS2 - FSX- IYP - FSUIPC

Hi Peter.

I am having a problem programming two mic buttons on my Saitek yoke. I want to use button 0 (Y,0) to speak to IYP and button 1 (Y,1) to speak on TeamSpeak2 (TS2). The problem seems to occur when the last thing I say is a command that IYP recognizes while speaking on TS2 and then immediately release button Y,1. In this case, IYP responds to the last command I said, even though I was speaking on TS2 (Y,1). If I held the Y,1 button about 1/2 to 1 second longer after saying the command on TS2, nothing would happen. IYP would not recognize that I said a command. Button Y,0 seems to work fine for issuing commands to IYP and responding to IYP requests. After releasing button Y,0, I can say a command and IYP does not respond. That is just what I want. It just seems that IYP should not be listening or responding to anything said while holding down the Y,1 button and speaking on TS2.

I have a feeling this problem is related to the a flag not being set or not being in the same condition as it was as when I release button Y,0. I'm just not sure how to program this.

I am using Windows 7 and its Speech Recognition program. I have included the [buttons] portion of the FSUIPC4.ini file below. Entries 2= and 4= apply to button Y,0. Entries 1=, 3=, 5, 6, & 7= all are for button Y,1. I have TS2 setup to recognize the shift key to speak on TS2.

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,2

EliminateTransients=No

1=RY,1,C1117,0 ; IYP ComeFly Active

2=RY,0,C1115,0 ; IYP Listen On

3=UY,1,C1118,0 ; IYP ComeFly Inactve

4=UY,0,C1116,0 ; IYP Listen Off

5=RY,1,K16,9

6=RY,1,C1116,0 ; IYP Listen Off

7=UY,1,C1116,0 ; IYP Listen Off

[AutoSave]

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Mike

I am having a problem programming two mic buttons on my Saitek yoke. I want to use button 0 (Y,0) to speak to IYP and button 1 (Y,1) to speak on TeamSpeak2 (TS2). The problem seems to occur when the last thing I say is a command that IYP recognizes while speaking on TS2 and then immediately release button Y,1. In this case, IYP responds to the last command I said, even though I was speaking on TS2 (Y,1). If I held the Y,1 button about 1/2 to 1 second longer after saying the command on TS2, nothing would happen. IYP would not recognize that I said a command. Button Y,0 seems to work fine for issuing commands to IYP and responding to IYP requests. After releasing button Y,0, I can say a command and IYP does not respond. That is just what I want. It just seems that IYP should not be listening or responding to anything said while holding down the Y,1 button and speaking on TS2.

It may be a timing problem in IYP. I think there's a small delay enforced in any case. You might need to talk to Robert (IYP Support).

I have a feeling this problem is related to the a flag not being set or not being in the same condition as it was as when I release button Y,0. I'm just not sure how to program this.

There's no flags involved in the FSUIPC side of things. If you are using the FSUIPC added controls for IYP then they are all dealt with by sending Registered windows messages. That occurs immediately you press/release the button.

I am using Windows 7 and its Speech Recognition program. I have included the [buttons] portion of the FSUIPC4.ini file below. Entries 2= and 4= apply to button Y,0. Entries 1=, 3=, 5, 6, & 7= all are for button Y,1. I have TS2 setup to recognize the shift key to speak on TS2.

Doesn't TeamSpeak support the same messages as Roger Wilco, so you can use the FSUIPC PTT controls?

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,2

EliminateTransients=No

2=RY,0,C1115,0 ; IYP Listen On

3=UY,1,C1118,0 ; IYP ComeFly Inactve

4=UY,0,C1116,0 ; IYP Listen Off

5=RY,1,K16,9

You appear to have made some errors there.

To start with you have them all repeating whilst held down. You most certainly don't want that for any of the IYP controls. You are probably flooding IYP's message queue with "Listen On" commands which will understandably make it slower to see the Listen Off.

Whether the keypress for TeamSpeak needs repeating I've no idea, but if it works I'd assume so.

Secondly you have multiple actions for Y,1, but in a strange order. Look:

5=RY,1,K16,9

You should surely get the Listen Off sent before making others active. Just renumber the lines to get the correct order.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to try this out later tonight. Right now I have a spouse request that is taking a higher priority than my mic buttons.

I'll let you know how it work out.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Pete,

Well I made some changes to the button section of the ini file as shown here:

[buttons]

ButtonRepeat=20,2

InitialButton=Y,0,C1115,0 ; IYP Listen On - doesnt have effect - no value

EliminateTransients=No

1=RY,0,C1115,0 ; IYP Listen On - must be RY

2=UY,0,C1116,0 ; IYP Listen Off

3=PY,1,C1116,0 ; IYP Listen Off - no diff RY - no value

4=PY,1,C1117,0 ; IYP ComeFly Active

5=RY,1,K16,9

6=UY,1,C1118,0 ; IYP ComeFly Inactve

I added an InitialButton to get IYP Listen On, but it does not seem to have any effect. I was hoping it would eliminate the need for the RY on 1= so I could make it PY,0. I think I could take it out without any effect.

I can not get IYP to listen with 1=PY,0,C1115,0. It does not respond at all. I don't know if this is because I have IYP and FSX both on the same system or not. I might try IYP on a laptop using WideFS to see if that makes a difference. For now I will leave it as 1=RY,0,C1115,0.

2=UY,0,C1116,0 seems to work fine, responds quickly, doesn't seem to have a delay as a result of 1=RY,0,...

It may be a timing problem in IYP. I think there's a small delay enforced in any case. You might need to talk to Robert (IYP Support).

I'll have to speak to Robert about this delay. My implementation, 3=PY,1, below...

3=PY,1 doesn't seem to have any effect. If I release button Y,1 too quickly after speaking a command to TS2, IYP responds. If I add a manual delay by keeping Y,1 held about a 1/2 second longer before releasing it, IYP does not respond.

4 - 6= seem to work fine as far as getting button Y,1 to open a channel with TS2. So the challenge remains for now. I will just keep button Y,1 held about 1/2 second longer to ensure IYP does not respond to something I said inadvertently while speaking on TS2.

I really think that IYP is listening even with the shift key (5=RY,1,K16,9) held down while talking on TS2. I cannot duplicate this problem by pressing the Keyboard Shift key, saying a command, and releasing the Keyboard Shift key quickly. It seems that 5=RY,1,K16,9 is not really the same as holding down the shift key on the keyboard. Is there some DLL that looks at the keyboard shift key and turns off IYP Listen while the shift key is held down for TS2 communications?

7=UY,1, it seems to keep IYP from listening after releasing Y,1 until Y,0 is pressed again.

Do you forsee any problems if I remove the InitialButton line and the 3= line?

Doesn't TeamSpeak support the same messages as Roger Wilco, so you can use the FSUIPC PTT controls?

I think you are speaking about the FSUIPC4 controls 1001 and 1002? I'm not sure how to implement this or if they would even work with/for TeamSpeak2. I'll have to research this for myself.

Thanks,

Mike

InitialButton=Y,0,C1115,0 ; IYP Listen On - doesnt have effect - no value

The InitialButton facility is a list of buttons to be "pressed" by FSUIPC during initialisation. You aren't listing just a button so your format is wrong. The button will be pressed and released, so you won't get Listen On set unless you have a separate button for Listen Off. You could do that by specifying a button you don't have and adding its entry in [buttons]. However, it is quite likely that the Listen On will be sent before IYP has finished initialising and therefore won't be seen. If you want a facility in IYP to have listening on by default, you'll need to ask Robert.

1=RY,0,C1115,0 ; IYP Listen On - must be RY

It shouldn't be repeated or you will be filling up IYP's message queue with unwanted messages.

I can not get IYP to listen with 1=PY,0,C1115,0. It does not respond at all. I don't know if this is because I have IYP and FSX both on the same system or not.

That shouldn't make any difference at all. The registered message system in Windows is the same in all versions of Windows, so it will be the same on any PC. Programs cannot "swallow" the message. Only programs also registering the message will recognise it in any case.

I might try IYP on a laptop using WideFS to see if that makes a difference. For now I will leave it as 1=RY,0,C1115,0.

If I were you I'd report this to IYP Support so Robert can see what is going on inside IYP. I really cannot support his program. I'm sure he's tested on a non-WideFS system. Almost all users run IYP on the same PC as FS, like you.

I really think that IYP is listening even with the shift key (5=RY,1,K16,9) held down while talking on TS2.

What key have you assigned in IYP? Make sure it doesn't include Shift, just in case.

It seems that 5=RY,1,K16,9 is not really the same as holding down the shift key on the keyboard.

FSUIPC uses a Windows facility for playing back recorded key presses. How that looks to other programs depends on the level they are detecting keys. If they are only processing standard messages it should look the same -- WM_KEYDOWN, possibly a WM_CHAR (but not just with Shift), and a WM_KEYUP. With Repeat on you'd get multiple KEYDOWNs and CHARs but only on KEYUP.

Why not try a proper key or combination with TeamSpeak (assuming it doesn't support the almost-standard Roger Wilco message for PTT control)?

Is there some DLL that looks at the keyboard shift key and turns off IYP Listen while the shift key is held down for TS2 communications?

Why would there be? IYP shouldn't be listening just because someone uses Shift.

Do you forsee any problems if I remove the InitialButton line and the 3= line?

since it isn't doing anything, and is probably rejected in any case for being in the wrong format, no.

I think you are speaking about the FSUIPC4 controls 1001 and 1002?

I don't remember the numbers, you'd need to look them up. I'm talking about the long-standing standard PTT controls which work with Squawkbox, Roger Wilco, and several other programs I don't remember right now.

I'm not sure how to implement this or if they would even work with/for TeamSpeak2. I'll have to research this for myself.

"Implementation" is merely by assiging in FSUIPC. There's nothing else needed. That should tell you pretty quickly whether TeamSpeak supports them. No need for an extended period of research!

Regards

Pete