The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC GPSout

I have:

FSX

Registered FSUIPC 4.6 [including Widefs]

Bluetooth Dongle set to Com3

Android program that reads NMEA data from Bluetooth

The problem:

> Only speed and bearing data are being transmitted just fine - however no location data is being read.

Registered Widefs as documentation seemed to indicate this might improve the situation, but unable to set fsuipc config parameters to enable bluetooth connection.

Any ideas?

> Only speed and bearing data are being transmitted just fine - however no location data is being read.

It sounds like you need to select another or different NMEA sentence. You'll need to check the specification for the device to see what it needs.

Registered Widefs as documentation seemed to indicate this might improve the situation, but unable to set fsuipc config parameters to enable bluetooth connection.

Sorry, this is totally confusing. WideFS is to connect to programs running on a Networked PC. How will that help? How is it in any way related to your first paragraph?

FSUIPC has no idea about Bluetooth or any other types of dental equipment. The GPSout facility operates with serial devices. Your Bluetooth driver emulates one of those, and you seem to have it partially working according to your first paragraph. The rest of your message makes no sense in relation to that. All you need to do is find out what data your device needs and select it in the GPSout options.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for your speedy reply! Very impressive. First time posting.

Re Wide FS - I re-read the WideFS 6.78 & FSUIPC4 User guides - my mistake: it is the Client part of the service that can read info from GPSout going thru a COM port on Bluetooth, not WideFS.

Now, here's the weird part:

Android has several programs that can read NMEA data and show on a map. Here's three [for anyone else who might be doing this] and what I see on the Android device [ATT Aria]:

Bluetooth GPS Service [by Trackaroo] - heading, speed, and altitude, no location [lat & long]

Turbo GPS [ by Michael Chourdakis] - same as above

Bluetooth GPS [by Googoo Android] - location info [YAY!], but no speed, alt, or bearing displayed. SO - what I wanted in the first place, a moving map on the PDA, is now working!

The Googoo Android app has the ability to read the data coming from GPSout: all relevant data seems to be included, for some reason it just doesn't pick up on the speed, alt, & bearing.

I'm using SoftTH for the three-screen experience - which works like a charm for FSX. But, in order to see a moving map [other than the one on the GPS], it would require changing between windows, which SoftTH often does not like. FSnav would have been great - cheap, and accessible right from FSX program, but, it "is no more". Unless I am mistaken, all the GoogleEarth connection apps run outside of FSX and require a window switch.

Again, thank you for your response.

Now, here's the weird part:

Android has several programs that can read NMEA data and show on a map. Here's three [for anyone else who might be doing this] and what I see on the Android device [ATT Aria]:

Bluetooth GPS Service [by Trackaroo] - heading, speed, and altitude, no location [lat & long]

Turbo GPS [ by Michael Chourdakis] - same as above

Bluetooth GPS [by Googoo Android] - location info [YAY!], but no speed, alt, or bearing displayed. SO - what I wanted in the first place, a moving map on the PDA, is now working!

The Googoo Android app has the ability to read the data coming from GPSout: all relevant data seems to be included, for some reason it just doesn't pick up on the speed, alt, & bearing.

Have you tried selecting more or different NMEA Sentences? Different applications get the assorted data parts from different ones.

Regards

Pete

Thank you - great idea. A quick web search got me the info re what each of those 3 letter codes means.

When I have some free time, I'll fiddle with the settings, and see if I can get one of the other Android apps to work a moving map. The wonderful thing about the one I have that has the moving map working is it's free!

Again, thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Andrew

[a Brit working in Orlando, FL]

• 1 year later...

Found this thread while spending the last couple days trying to slave my Android to FSX, primarily to use it for Avilution's Aviation Maps and some other aviation apps on my Droid incredible. The phone isn't rooted.

Finally got it working after some tips on this thread by.

1. Downloading update of FSUIPC (I had 4 but evidently needed the newest version. My old key worked to activate it.

2. I was having the same issues as the OP with the mentioned apps. I finally got the gps to work on a few apps the one that was the ticket was Bluetooth GPS Mouse. This one doesn't work for me until I hit the "alt connections" in settings.

3. GPSout NMEA settings I have running are RMC, GGA, GLL, GSA.

I came across this while researching all this and found something else worth looking into if your not into real world flying. It looks to have more features than a lot of the aviation apps I've seen.

http://fswidgets.com/shop/index.php

Apologies if this is common knowledge. This is the only thread I find on the subject. Email tonyljohnson@gmail.com if you have any further questions.

Apologies if this is common knowledge. This is the only thread I find on the subject. Email tonyljohnson@gmail.com if you have any further questions.

There are a lot of old threads on interfacing to assorted Garmin Aviation devices. This thread is the first involving an Android device.

Would you like to post a constructive help for other such users to the User Contributions subforum, please? Then it won't get lost as it scrolls out of sight like the others.

Thank you,

Pete

There are a lot of old threads on interfacing to assorted Garmin Aviation devices. This thread is the first involving an Android device.

Would you like to post a constructive help for other such users to the User Contributions subforum, please? Then it won't get lost as it scrolls out of sight like the others.

Thank you,

Pete

Sure thing Pete! As someone who uses FSX for real world training purposes, your products are a great asset. Thanks for your contribution.

Tony