The simFlight Network Forums

Install Failure

Hello Pete

After several months not using FSX and having overhaul of computer I am now reinstalling my FSX. I am running FSUIPC, the installer stops at

"Probe Manifest fails to match a valid SimConnect needed to use FSUIPC4!" and a message tells me "Your FSX installation is incorrect. The version of simconnect installed will noit run FSUIPC. You may need to repair the installation to rectify this.

How do I proceed, I have reinstalled most of my programs this far without problems.

KEN ELLIS

After several months not using FSX and having overhaul of computer I am now reinstalling my FSX.

Ouch. There seem to be more problems resulting from attempts to re-install FSX than from all the other possible causes put together. The problem is that the uninstall doesn't fully remove side-by-side installations like SimConnect, and when the re-install is done it all gets messed up.

I am running FSUIPC, the installer stops at "Probe Manifest fails to match a valid SimConnect needed to use FSUIPC4!" and a message tells me "Your FSX installation is incorrect. The version of simconnect installed will noit run FSUIPC. You may need to repair the installation to rectify this.

Yes. That means your SimConnect installation is truly messed up.

How do I proceed, I have reinstalled most of my programs this far without problems.

You might get away with simply installing FSX SP1, testing FSX, then re-boot, install SP2 and re-boot. Then try installing FSUIPC again. If that doesn't work then I've no easy fix. If you can roll back to a Windows restore point when it all worked, that might be a solution. Otherwise it may need a complete Windows re-installation.

This is nothing to do with FSUIPC itself. The same problems would afflict any and all SimConnect-using applications. I really never understood how Microsoft could have got it all into such an horrendous mess.

I do have a later version of FSUIPC4 which by-passes the Side-by-Side checking and accesses SimConnect directly, instead. This is counter to MS rules, though, and it doesn't help with other Simconnect programs. But if you want to try that, and FSUIPC4 has been installed, even if not in a working state, just download 4.623 from the Updates announcement in this Forum, and put the DLL into the FSX Modules folder, overwriting the (hopefully) 4.60a version already there.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete

I tried your suggestion

"You might get away with simply installing FSX SP1, testing FSX, then re-boot, install SP2 and re-boot. Then try installing FSUIPC again. If that doesn't work then I've no easy fix. If you can roll back to a Windows restore point when it all worked, that might be a solution. Otherwise it may need a complete Windows re-installation."

No joy with this.

Next I tried downloading FSUIPC 4.624 and substituting the .dll file, again no joy.

Now I am going to bite the bullet and do a reinstall of XP.

I have a second computer (slow one) which has all my backed up files so I can use this for everyday activities, internet etc.

Pete I wonder if I may presume on your help with a bit of advice:

I can do the XP reinstall OK but after my experience with Simconnect I desperately want to avoid a repetition of my messing it up previously. Your advice on the order in which I should install the fsx installation and SP1 and SP2 would be helpful, eg. I think (as you suggested) I would install FSX then reboot then install SP1 reboot then finally SP2 and reboot then install FSUIPC, any other tips from yourself appreciated.

I am reasonably computer savvy but my age (83) has slowed me down somewhat but I have no qualms about the task so long as I can get the problem sorted.

Thanks Pete

"You might get away with simply installing FSX SP1, testing FSX, then re-boot, install SP2 and re-boot. Then try installing FSUIPC again. If that doesn't work then I've no easy fix. If you can roll back to a Windows restore point when it all worked, that might be a solution. Otherwise it may need a complete Windows re-installation."

No joy with this.

Was there no change at all? Did you check the install log?

Next I tried downloading FSUIPC 4.624 and substituting the .dll file, again no joy.

That needs clarifying. What exactly is "no joy" this way? Since you are not running the installer you can't get exactly the same message.

I can do the XP reinstall OK but after my experience with Simconnect I desperately want to avoid a repetition of my messing it up previously. Your advice on the order in which I should install the fsx installation and SP1 and SP2 would be helpful, eg. I think (as you suggested) I would install FSX then reboot then install SP1 reboot then finally SP2 and reboot then install FSUIPC, any other tips from yourself appreciated.

That's all, really: install FSX, run it (with no add-ons). close it. Re-boot. Then SP1, same again, then SP2. Make sure you run FSX once each time.

Don't start adding anything until you are happy FSX is running well.

Regards

Pete

Make sure you actually run the simulator and have a play around in an aircraft for a few minutes before you close down and reboot ready for the next step, service pack, otherwise FSX wont have initialised properly after each install stage.

EDIT: You beat me to it Pete :)

Hi

Ok, I managed eventually to reinstall XP and install FSX SP1 and SP2 I have just installed FSUIPC successfully so the dreaded simconnect must be behaving. I just gave up attempting to change my FSUIPC email address for registration, the method described in your instructions didn't work for me.I'll try again later. Thanks for your suggestions and help in overcoming my problems.

Regards

Ken

I just gave up attempting to change my FSUIPC email address for registration, the method described in your instructions didn't work for me.

There is no method for changing an email address associated with a specific key, unless you buy another key using the different email address. Why are you trying to change things? The registration lasts forever, the email address is tied to it. What's the problem?

Pete