The simFlight Network Forums

D008 can't change etc.

Actually an old topic which has resurrected itself, this time on my PC!

I have been flying happily for months with FSX,FSUIPC,FSPassengers, Aerosoft Autobrake,Radar contact and the Trafficx programs all co-habiting happily.

Last week Radar contact stopped mid flight and when I opened it I found the old "D008 can't change XXXXXXXXX remains xxxxxxxxx" story.

I wrote to JD but in his usual terse way, he said it's not him it must be me, as nothing has changed in RC.

I tried re-installing FSUIPC as he suggested, it fixed it once but the next time (today) it was back again after RC stopped mid-flight.

Any suggestions as to where I can look for the cause of the problem?

Ian

Last week Radar contact stopped mid flight and when I opened it I found the old "D008 can't change XXXXXXXXX remains xxxxxxxxx" story.

I wrote to JD but in his usual terse way, he said it's not him it must be me, as nothing has changed in RC.

D008 never stays fixed for more than a few seconds. I added code to do that many versions ago. So either you are very much out of date with your FSUIPC (you don't say), or something stopped RC long enough for it to fall foul of one of its timeouts.

I did suggest years ago that RC could simply continue. It isn't a disastrous error and shouldn't result in the program stopping. On a very busy system he can (and evidently does) miss the signal. A longer timeout or more retries would work, as would simply logging the error and continuing. Sometimes it might mean he doesn't determine the runways in use by AI so quickly, or doesn't get the identity of an AI aircraft which just appeared, but that's all D008 is involved in, and carrying on would never be as disastrous as stopping.

I tried re-installing FSUIPC as he suggested, it fixed it once

Reinstalling FSUIPC never ever changes anything whatsoever because the code doesn't change. Updating to a more recent, supported, version (3.98 and 4.60 are the earliest supported versions in any case) might, but the real problem is in RC's treatment of a transient timing glitch related to AI ancillary information requests.

Any suggestions as to where I can look for the cause of the problem?

Performance, performance, performance. Something is getting overloaded. There's no other cause that I can think of at all. It's something stopping something from happening for too long, that's all. You don't mention WideFS, so I assume all those things are running on one PC. That's a large load for one PC. Maybe manipulating priorities of programs would help. Or reducing the FSX settings (especially AI traffic levels). Or limiting its frame rate more. Or switching to DX10 instead of DX9. Or updating to a more efficient video driver. Or overclocking your PC. Or not running so many add-ons. Or using a simpler aircraft .... In other words, anything which reduces the loading could help.

But the correct fix would have been in RC. I hope JD took enough notice of my suggestions to sort this out in RCV5, but as yet there appears to be no end date for that.

Regards

Pete