The simFlight Network Forums

One Profile for Buttons, One for Calibration - Can you help?

In FSX, I have set up custom button profiles for different aircraft for certain panels i.e. GPS, FSMap, GNS430 etc

e.g. [buttons.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP]

0=P2,8,K51,9

1=P2,9,K57,9

-----------

I can have a custom button profile which is linked, by name, to a custom calibration profile

e.g. [buttons.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP] is linked to [JoystickCalibration.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP]

OR

I can have a general calibration profile e.g. Stick Aircraft or Yoke Aircraft.

e.g. [JoystickCalibration.Stick Aircraft]

-----------

BUT I can't figure out how to link a custom button profile to a custom calibration profile that has a different name.

e.g. [buttons.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP] and [Profile.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP] are both linked to [JoystickCalibration.Stick Aircraft]

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help,

Toby

PS Thank you for FSUIPC, it's incredibly useful!

I can have a custom button profile which is linked, by name, to a custom calibration profile

e.g. [buttons.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP] is linked to [JoystickCalibration.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP]

They are not linked, they are simply separate facitlies. There are 4 different facilities each of which can be aircraft-specific or profile-specific, or generic:

Buttons, Axes, Keys, JoystickCalibration.

Naturally, once an aircraft is assigned to a Profile, or is subject to aircraft-specific assignments, in any of these, the other sections will also use sections with the same aircraft or profile name if you select the specific or profile option in those sections.

OR

I can have a general calibration profile e.g. Stick Aircraft or Yoke Aircraft.

e.g. [JoystickCalibration.Stick Aircraft]

You seem to be comparing the older, original method of making specific assignments and settings -- i.e. by aircraft name (this is called "Aircraft Specific") with the newer, easier to use, "Profile" system. You choose one method or the other. You can't mix them.

BUT I can't figure out how to link a custom button profile to a custom calibration profile that has a different name.

You can't, and there's no possible reason for it.

e.g. [buttons.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP] and [Profile.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP] are both linked to [JoystickCalibration.Stick Aircraft]

It sounds like you are mixed up between aircraft-specific settings and Profiles. Having a Profile called "FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP" makes no sense because that's a specific aircraft name. Your Profile should be called "Stick Aircraft" if you want it to be easily assignable to any such aircraft.

Regards

Pete

Re: Buttons, Axes, Keys, JoystickCalibration

If I understood you correctly, I can create unique sets for each of these four 'facilities' for a single aircraft?

Example

[buttons.Custom Set 1]

[Axes.Custom Set 2]

[Keys.Custom Set 3]

[JoystickCalibration.Custom Set 4]

These aren't linked by name in the .ini to a specific aircraft profile e.g. [Profile.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP], they only become 'attached' to a certain aircraft when selected in 'Profile Specific?' in FSUIPC?

-----------------------------------------------------

Re: Solution

To solve my problem and to be able to have:

1. Unique Profiles for Stick Aircraft, Yoke Aircraft and Helicopters

I need to create 3 separate [Profile.xxx] entries and manually assign aircraft to it using their livery names.

2. Unique Joystick Calibration for Stick Aircraft, Yoke Aircraft and Helicopters

I need to create 3 separate [JoystickCalibration.xxx] entries and use FSUIPC to assign aircraft to them using the 'Profile Specific?' option.

3. Custom Button Sets for any aircraft

I need to create separate [button.xxx] entries and use FSUIPC to assign aircraft to them using the 'Profile Specific?' option.

Sorry for being so longwinded but I really want to understand how this works.

What confused me is that I thought that FSUIPC stored the information about which aircraft uses which 'facility' in the .ini file, and if I'm right, it doesn't?

-----------------------------------------------------

Re: [JoyNames]

I am not able to always keep my controllers plugged in.

However, I always use the same ports when I do plug them in.

In the .ini file, the [JoyNames] entry changes depending on what is plugged in.

Sometimes I use the CH Yoke, sometimes the X52 and I always use the CH Pedals.

Are the Numbers in [JoyNames] referenced anywhere else in the .ini?

Can I manually add the Controller that is missing in [JoyNames] and will the entry stay in the .ini?

I have the feeling that switching controllers is causing confusion somewhere in the sim, perhaps because two different controllers are being given the same number because I change them depending on what I fly. That's why I wanted to ask if the Number (not the GUID) is referenced anywhere else and if I have to link a 'facility' to it or not.

Many thanks for your patience and your help Pete, I really appreciate it while I am getting to grips with FSUIPC.

FSUIPC is really a dream come true for control freaks like me!

Thanks,

Toby

If I understood you correctly, I can create unique sets for each of these four 'facilities' for a single aircraft?

Example

[buttons.Custom Set 1]

[Axes.Custom Set 2]

[Keys.Custom Set 3]

[JoystickCalibration.Custom Set 4]

No. If these are profiles for a single aircraft, they are not exactly profiles are they, but very "aircraft specific". You need to decide whether you want different settings for each and every aircraft or a set of reusable profiles.

Additionally, if all those were to be usable by the same aircraft, the profile name "Custom Set X" would have to be the same, not 1, 2, 3, 4. The aircraft is either referenced in the section name (for "aircraft specific"), or via the [Profile.] section which lists the aircraft assigned to that profile.

I really cannot envisage any other scenario and so I am rather confused about what it is you are trying to do.

These aren't linked by name in the .ini to a specific aircraft profile e.g. [Profile.FSX Cessna Skyhawk 172SP], they only become 'attached' to a certain aircraft when selected in 'Profile Specific?' in FSUIPC?

Profiles are assigned to aircraft and those assignments are saved in the appropriately named [Profile ...] section.

To solve my problem and to be able to have:

1. Unique Profiles for Stick Aircraft, Yoke Aircraft and Helicopters

I need to create 3 separate [Profile.xxx] entries and manually assign aircraft to it using their livery names.

2. Unique Joystick Calibration for Stick Aircraft, Yoke Aircraft and Helicopters

I need to create 3 separate [JoystickCalibration.xxx] entries and use FSUIPC to assign aircraft to them using the 'Profile Specific?' option.

3. Custom Button Sets for any aircraft

I need to create separate [button.xxx] entries and use FSUIPC to assign aircraft to them using the 'Profile Specific?' option.

Yes, almost -- but you only need assign an aircraft to a profile once, not separately for each type of setting. That's the whole point of it all. It is supposed to make it easy -- which it would be if you simply followed the documentation and used the user-interface facilities. I'm really not sure why you are intent on doing everything in the INI file. It was never intended to be edited manually for such straight-forward and oft-needed uses.

What confused me is that I thought that FSUIPC stored the information about which aircraft uses which 'facility' in the .ini file, and if I'm right, it doesn't?

Of course it does. ALL of the settings for FSUIPC are in the INI file. But you shouldn't need to worry about any of that for all the simple things you are talking about doing!

In the .ini file, the [JoyNames] entry changes depending on what is plugged in.

Sometimes I use the CH Yoke, sometimes the X52 and I always use the CH Pedals.

Are the Numbers in [JoyNames] referenced anywhere else in the .ini?

Of course, in all of the axis and button assignments. But you can use Letters instead of Numbers and FSUIPC will match them up by name. Please do refer to the documentation on this. I cannot reproduce it here!

Can I manually add the Controller that is missing in [JoyNames] and will the entry stay in the .ini?

If it isn't connected it won't be there by number, but the letter assignments stay. Why are you so bothered about the INI file? Why not just use the User Facilities which have been designed to solve all these sorts of problems. It seems a bit like instead of referring to the documentation you are diving straight into the INI file and trying to configure everything there, without really knowing what you are doing.

I have the feeling that switching controllers is causing confusion somewhere in the sim, perhaps because two different controllers are being given the same number because I change them depending on what I fly. That's why I wanted to ask if the Number (not the GUID) is referenced anywhere else and if I have to link a 'facility' to it or not.

Please just use the lettering facilities which are designed explicitly to get around this sort of problem!

Regards

Pete

Well, I couldn't be more wrong could I? :)

I have read the manual several times but obviously missed the point completely.

All I want are settings for Stick Aircraft, Yoke Aircraft or Helicopters and custom buttons for certain aircraft, that's it.

So far, I haven't been able to get that working.

Thank you for your help,

Toby

All I want are settings for Stick Aircraft, Yoke Aircraft or Helicopters and custom buttons for certain aircraft, that's it.

So far, I haven't been able to get that working.

Delete the FSUIPC INI file so you start with a clean plate.

Run FS to get a default INI produced. Then edit it just to set "UseProfiles=Yes" (you might also set the [JoyNames] option for auto-assigning letters to devices too whilst you are there).

Load up one of your aircraft for which you want to use the "Stick" Profile. Go into any of the options you want for that profile and (i.e. axes, buttons, calibration or keys) and click on the Profiles button. Enter the new Profile name ("Stick" or whatever). Do all the settings for that, and then do the same, selecting Profiles (it will know which one now) for the other three.

Do the same for each profile.

Now, when you select a new aircraft and click on Profiles you will get a list of existing profiles, and you can assign it to one (or create a new one as you like).

Regards

Pete