The simFlight Network Forums

VRInsight isn't connecting thouroghly

Hello Pete,

from time to time my "VRInsight Mod" isn't connecting thoroughly.

Means, that I start a flight and start SerialFP2, but SerialFP2 is then connected to COM3 instead of COM4.

Of course, the FSUIPC Mod isn't working then.

Restarting SerialFP2 does not help

Only solution for me is to restart FSX.

My question is now, if it is possible to get it to work again in an other way?

E.g a LUA which is reconnecting or whatever is neccessary... I don't know...

Or would restarting the only solution?

Background is, that I often forget to proof the connection immediatly after starting a flight.

And then I setted up my flightplan, my FMC etc etc, maybe started engines and then notice that SerialFPs isn't connected to COM4.

All "work" is then for nothing ;-)

thank you very much,

Günter

from time to time my "VRInsight Mod" isn't connecting thoroughly.

Means, that I start a flight and start SerialFP2, but SerialFP2 is then connected to COM3 instead of COM4.

Sounds like you are running SerialFP2 before the FSUIPC part has grabbed the ports.

Of course, the FSUIPC Mod isn't working then.

Restarting SerialFP2 does not help

Of course not -- FSUIPC failed to get the correct port because SerialFP2 opened it first, and FSUIPC only tries the once, during initialisation.

It was because the order is critical that i arranged everything in FSUIPC to do the program starts AFTER it does done the VRI device opens. I saw from your new document that you prefer starting SerialFP2 manually -- but if you do, be sure to wait. Better really to follow the instructions I provided in the documentation. It works then 100%

Logging will show you these things.

Regards

Pete

Sounds like you are running SerialFP2 before the FSUIPC part has grabbed the ports.

nono, definitely not.

As I wrote I do all flightplanning, FMC stuff, engine starting and the I think about starting SerialFP2.

Its minutes after starting the flight.

I never start it before!

I will have a look into the log next time that happens and post it here...

thanks,

Günter

nono, definitely not.

As I wrote I do all flightplanning, FMC stuff, engine starting and the I think about starting SerialFP2.

Its minutes after starting the flight.

I never start it before!

Well something is stopping FSUIPC opening the port -- otherwise SerialFP2 wouldn't be able to do so. Maybe the device has gone to sleep and doesn't activate, or something. Have you stopped Windows doing power management on all USB hubs?

Or maybe the virtual pairing isn't always right. If one of the ports is sometimes grabbed by a real device then VSPE will not make the pairing. Mind you, that would still apply after restarting FSX. Check the VSPE window anyway, see what it says when it happens.

I will have a look into the log next time that happens and post it here...

Don't forget to first enable VRI debugging -- adding those two lines to the FSUIPC.INI file, as documented.

Regards

Pete

Have you stopped Windows doing power management on all USB hubs?

yes, have that setting already

made it through "advanced energy savings" (german OS maybe other naming) --> USB Settings --> deactivated

(or is there an other setting, too?)

Check the VSPE window anyway, see what it says when it happens.

will do next time...

Don't forget to first enable VRI debugging

good point - "debug please" was added, but I have just added "LogExtras=4" now...

yes, have that setting already

made it through "advanced energy savings" (german OS maybe other naming) --> USB Settings --> deactivated

(or is there an other setting, too?)

I don't know what that does!

I go to the Device Manager (via right click My computer, manage, or via control Panel, System), then expand the USB controllers list, select every USB Hub listed in turn, and for each right-click -- Properties -- Power Management Tab -- uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device".

I have 7 entries "Generic USB Hub" and 5 entries "USB Root Hub", and do this for all 12 of them!

Regards

Pete

I go to the Device Manager (via right click My computer, manage, or via control Panel, System), then expand the USB controllers list, select every USB Hub listed in turn, and for each right-click -- Properties -- Power Management Tab -- uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device".

Ah, I haven't known about that possibility.

I have the same number of USB stuff there and everything was unchecked.

Maybe my way with the energy-options does the same.

I'll wait now till the next time the issue happens and show you the log file....

ok, happened right now:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.628 by Pete Dowson *********
Reading options from "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"
Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...
User Name="Günter Steiner"
User Addr="adress removed to get not spammed"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired
Running inside FSX on Windows 7 (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)
Module base=61000000
Wind smoothing fix is fully installed
DebugStatus=15
       78 System time = 03/11/2010 21:45:10
       94 FLT UNC path = "\\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\"
       94 FS UNC path = "F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
      936 LogOptions=80000000 00000051
      936 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
      952 VRI port 1 "COM3" failed to open
      952 VRI driver port 1 "COM2" also opened
     4680 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)
     4680 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     4680 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     4712 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
     4727 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\Documents\Flight Simulator X-Dateien\EDDT Standard.FLT
     4727 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\beech_baron_58\Beech_Baron_58.AIR
    17831 F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG747-400F\B747-400F.AIR
    17831 Weather Mode now = Global
    17831 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\cannelloni\documents\flight simulator x-dateien\747.FLT
    20140 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    20312 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
    57284 System time = 03/11/2010 21:46:07, Simulator time = 07:33:25 (06:33Z)
    57939 Aircraft="PMDG 747-8F Lufthansa Cargo"
    58532 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
    58891 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=N, In Dlg=N
    60092 Exception 15 "WEATHER_UNABLE_TO_GET_OBSERVATION", Ref 2477, Index param -1 on Weather request type 5
    62260 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled
    64476 Weather Mode now = Theme
    64585 Exception 15 "WEATHER_UNABLE_TO_GET_OBSERVATION", Ref 2481, Index param -1 on Weather request type 5
    64632 Weather Mode now = Global
   128498 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=Y, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y
   128498 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 70 secs = 26.3 fps
   136470 \\CANNELLONI-PC\Users\Cannelloni\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Vorheriger Flug.FLT
   136486 Exception 3 "UNRECOGNIZED_ID", Ref 2696, Index param -1 on unknown request!
   147265 System time = 03/11/2010 21:47:37, Simulator time = 07:33:25 (06:33Z)
   147265 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Average frame rate for running time of 70 secs = 26.3 fps
Memory managed: 167 Allocs, 167 Freed
********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

VSPE shows "Pair OK" as it should do, when FS is started.

SerialFP2 is loading COM3 instead of COM4 when started (after(!) starting the flight)

greetings,

Günter

VSPE shows "Pair OK" as it should do, when FS is started.

Yes, but the problem is the device port, as you can see:

VRI port 1 "COM3" failed to open

Basically, FSUIPC tries to open the device port and cannot -- Windows is saying it is unavailable. Normally that means something else has already got it.

SerialFP2 is loading COM3 instead of COM4 when started (after(!) starting the flight)

So whatever has COM3 when you start FS is releasing it sometime after. You need to find out what it is and kill it, or wait.

As I said, i never have any similar problems here. Maybe something was still running which you thought was closed? FS will, for example, not be full closed for quite a few seconds after its Windows all disappear. Check the Process list in Task manager before loading FS -- if you are re-booting it often i bet it's just an overlap.

Regards

Pete

Yes, but the problem is the device port, as you can see:

VRI port 1 "COM3" failed to open

FS will, for example, not be full closed for quite a few seconds after its Windows all disappear.

Yes, I know that and I wait till FSX ends thouroughly, I swear :wink:

This issue also happens if I have a freshly started Widnows, so couldn't be a FSX overlap.

That something is using this COM port could be, but I have no idea how to check what this could be or why windows isn't it releasing?

I have several hardware:

X52 pro

2 Saitek throttle quadrants

BU836X

and a Logitech extreme rebuilt as a little switch panel

Everything is working fine

Printer and Scanner is normally switched off (electricity off!) and so far no more hardware...

Anyway it is not such a big problem as just one of 10 FSX flights is affected.

I will google a bit around; maybe I can find out what windows does with COM ports.

thanks, will report back if I find a solution,

Günter

That something is using this COM port could be, but I have no idea how to check what this could be or why windows isn't it releasing?

Ift may simply be that occasionally the port is not appearing connected. Try resetting the device before loading FSX. And maybe try connecting it to a different USB port (on a different hub -- i.e. a different pair). Do you have the MCP-combi externally powered? If not it may be taking too much power off the USB port, especially if the same hub is shared with another device.

I seem to recall you had difficulties similar to this back in the Beta testing days, around last Christmas.

Regards

Pete

Good morning, Pete.

Yes, I reset my device everytime before connecting SerialFP2. Thats a standard procedure.

(But I'm not sure if I reset it everytime, before starting FSX or starting a flight - will take care of that)

And yes, I have had same problems during Beta.

But now I have a complete new system (but also Win7 64) and I have hoped, therefore the "problems" where solved.

System is much better now and I have absolutely no problems with nearly full settings in FSX, but this little connecting problems stays...

I have made a bunch of screenshots of my device manager and the COM settings.

Maybe you can see if sth is didfferent to your system.

FTDI driver is the latest

unbenannt1e.jpg

unbenannt5t.jpg

unbenannt3yv.jpg

unbenannt2x.jpg

unbenannt4cm.jpg

thank you very much,

Günter

I have made a bunch of screenshots of my device manager and the COM settings.

Maybe you can see if sth is didfferent to your system.

FTDI driver is the latest

That's the only difference. Mine appears to be version 2.4.16.0, probably the one which was installed with SerialFP2. But I doubt that would make any difference at all.

I do have a lot of my COM ports showing "(In Use)" in the assignments drop-down. You've got none in use, which is odd. I assume you don't have any other serial devices, and VSPE wasn't running?

I suspect the real difference is in the MCP-Combi end. I recall during Beta testing that out of the entire Beta group of about 8 folks, only two of you (yes, there was anoyther) had any initialisation problems at all.

Maybe if FSUIPC was to retry the Open stuff at intervals it would help -- I suspect serialFP2 keeps trying? However, it isn't a trivial change to get this to happen, as all of the VRI setting up is done during FSUIPC initialisation and I'd need to rearrange things quite a bit to enable later retries. I'm deep into other stuff at present, but if you still haven't resolved things in a few weeks (say, by December), let me know and I'll look at it.

Meanwhile you could try monitoring the serial port and seeing if you can discover the difference between what SerialFP2 does and what FSUIPC does onyour system. You could try "Device Monitoring Studio" (www.hhdsoftware.com) or "Advanced Serial Port Monitor" (www.aggsoft.com). I think you can get a free trial of either of those. I used to use the former, but my license expired. I do have a license for the AggSoft Advanced USB Port Monitor, and that is very good -- I am currently adding USB device support into the Lua COM library facilities.

Regards

Pete

I installed both programms (14 days trial)... but...huuuhh.... way over my computer knowledge.

I will fiddle around with it and try to get into the programs and stuff... hopefully.

Will report back!

No need to hurry for anything, Pete.

As I said, it is only from time to time hat the connections is not working, so its not an important issue!

thanks for all the support!

Günter