The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle Quadrant

Hi,

I am using LVD 767 (3D Cockpit view) with FSX and W7-64. Connected to USB 2 HUB (external supply) are MCP Pro, yoke, and Throttle Quadrant. Right after start-up all throttle quadrant buttons/switches programmed in FSUIPC are working correctly. After some time only the lever “buttons” are working on the throttle quadrant and the switch buttons have lost the assigned functions. I did check it in FSUIPC and no functions are there any more. After FSX restart the same repeats. Can anybody help? What is going wrong?

Thank you for your advices

Rgds

Guido

I am using LVD 767 (3D Cockpit view) with FSX and W7-64. Connected to USB 2 HUB (external supply) are MCP Pro, yoke, and Throttle Quadrant. Right after start-up all throttle quadrant buttons/switches programmed in FSUIPC are working correctly. After some time only the lever “buttons” are working on the throttle quadrant and the switch buttons have lost the assigned functions. I did check it in FSUIPC and no functions are there any more. After FSX restart the same repeats. Can anybody help? What is going wrong?

I don't understand what you mean by "no functions are there any more". FSUIPC will not delete your assignments. Do you mean that there's no response from your devices that you can see in FSUIPC?

The usual reason for losing operations from devices is the Windows power management setting -- go into the Control Panel -- system -- Device Manager, find the USB hubs listings and in the Properies of each ensure that the power management option is disabled.

Also, please make sure you are using recent versions of FSUIPC -- not earlier than 4.60 -- as some earlier versions did time out responses from devices.

By the way, why mention specifically the LVD 767? Are you implying that the same doesn't happen with default aircraft, or others added? If this is the case then the answer must lie in the LVD 767 code.

Regards

Pete

Hi

thank you for the quick replay. I will check the USB-Hub power management settings. I did not care it.

Q: Do you mean that there's no response from your devices that you can see in FSUIPC?

[Guido]: Yes, the FSUIPC switch monitor window shows no key codes when I press a switch after about 5..10min of use.

Also, please make sure you are using recent versions of FSUIPC -- not earlier than 4.60 -- as some earlier versions did time out responses from device

[Guido]: I did just download and register version 4.60a if I remember the number right.

By the way, why mention specifically the LVD 767? Are you implying that the same doesn't happen with default aircraft, or others added? If this is the case then the answer must lie in the LVD 767 code.

[Guido]: I am using the throttle quadrant only with the LVD 767 but I will check if it is OK with default aircrafts.

I will check all when I am back home next Saturday and report you the outcome.

Thanks

Guido

I did just download and register version 4.60a if I remember the number right.

Okay. That should be okay, but it might be a good idea also to try the very latest interim update. It will be 4.637 or maybe 4.638 -- get it from the Download Links subforum, Updated Modules.

Regards

Pete

Hi

Sorry I missed your latest mail and I will check your proposal. However this weekend I did follow your instructions and proposals. Below my findings:

Q: Do you mean that there's no response from your devices that you can see in FSUIPC?

[Guido]: Yes. However I did retest the key assignment in the FSUIPC. After selecting the check box aircraft specific the switches did display the assigned key values.

Q: Also, please make sure you are using recent versions of FSUIPC -- not earlier than 4.60 -- as some earlier versions did time out responses from device

[Guido]: I have version 4.60a. and as proposed I did switch off all USB-Hub power management functions.

Q: By the way, why mention specifically the LVD 767? Are you implying that the same doesn't happen with default aircraft, or others added? If this is the case then the answer must lie in the LVD 767 code.

[Guido]: I did test the throttle quadrant the LVD 767 and standard 747. With the 747 I had no issues but the LVD does lose the switch assignment after some time (normally after takeoff). I checked by changing windows, executing commands and menu calls if the assignment will be lost. I could not identify any dependency than after takeoff the switch assignments are gone. I appreciate if you could help as I like this functionality very much.

Thanks

Guido

[Guido]: I did test the throttle quadrant the LVD 767 and standard 747. With the 747 I had no issues but the LVD does lose the switch assignment after some time (normally after takeoff). I checked by changing windows, executing commands and menu calls if the assignment will be lost. I could not identify any dependency than after takeoff the switch assignments are gone. I appreciate if you could help as I like this functionality very much.

Since FSUIPC does not care which aircraft you are using, and doesn't really know whether you have taken off or not, I'm afraid there is nothing that FSUIPC is doing which could possibly account for this. It therefore must either be some function of the LVD 767, or possibly of other software you have installed which is detecting the takeoff and changing the aircraft's configuration accordingly.

If you want to assure yourself that FSUIPC is still responding correctly to your button settings just enable Button logging in the FSUIPC Logging tab. Then you'll find all the details in the Log file in the Modules folder.

Regards

Pete

Hi

I did install the latest FSUIPC version and as you did write no improvement. I did also log the switch codes. From the moment the Throttle Quadrant switches are not working there is also no further recording.

Pls find the summary of my findings about the LVD767 Throttle Quadrant and FSUIPC issue:

- When I start FSX and then load the LVD 767 with 3D cockpit view after take-off the FSUIPC programmed switches on the TQ do not work anymore

- With the standard aircraft like 747 I have no problems identified

- When I use the LVD767 with 2D cockpit I have also no problems

- And now the trick: If I check the switches in the LVD767 2D cockpit view and then change to the 3D I have also no problems! (The used command to toggle the cockpit view is: A)

This is similar to the LVD GPWS announcements. They work only when I test them in the 2D cockpit view first and then change to the 3D view.

I think it could be a LVD issue and with the found work-a-round I can life for the moment.

Again thank you very much for the professional and quick support.

Rgds

Guido

I did install the latest FSUIPC version and as you did write no improvement. I did also log the switch codes. From the moment the Throttle Quadrant switches are not working there is also no further recording.

This means there is nothing arriving to FSUIPC via DirectInput for the affected switches. It doesn't sound like anything directly to do with USB or DirectInput, or at least the small FSUIPC use of it, because you said the lever buttons and lervers are still responsive.

- When I start FSX and then load the LVD 767 with 3D cockpit view after take-off the FSUIPC programmed switches on the TQ do not work anymore

- With the standard aircraft like 747 I have no problems identified

- When I use the LVD767 with 2D cockpit I have also no problems

- And now the trick: If I check the switches in the LVD767 2D cockpit view and then change to the 3D I have also no problems! (The used command to toggle the cockpit view is: A)

Phew! That is complex. It really sounds as if something in the way the LevelD is using DirectX (or causing FSX to use DirectX) is corrupting DirectInput information too. Since I assume the LevelD usage, via FSX, would only be Direct3D / DirectOutput, I wonder if something is picking out a bug in the video drivers themselves.

It could be worth trying different video drivers. I know it sounds odd, but evidently one thing is affecting another apparently unrelated thing. Additionally, if it were a general fault in any of the parts which must surely be common to many LevelD users (Saitek quadrant, FSUIPC4, FSX, LevelD), you'd certainly expect more mention of it. Are there any other reports on the LevelD forum? There are no others like this here. If the problem appears specific to your system then looking at other aspects of the system, such as the video drivers, seems appropriate however unlikely it seems on the surface.

This is similar to the LVD GPWS announcements. They work only when I test them in the 2D cockpit view first and then change to the 3D view.

Hmm. Is that reported by others?

I think it could be a LVD issue and with the found work-a-round I can life for the moment.

Okay, but you might want to research those two points, i.e.

(1) whether it happens to anyone else, and if so do things compare at all -- like video drivers?

(2) whether it occurs still with older or newer video drivers or different video settings.

Regards

Pete

Hi

I did further study the TQ-Switch behavior when I assign LVD767 specific commands to the FSUIPC. As I did already write after take-off the switches do not trigger a key command any more. However in FSUIPC’s switch control window the assigned key-code is still displayed.

Pls find the updated summary of my findings about the LVD767, Throttle Quadrant, and FSUIPC:

- With a standard aircraft like 747 I have no problems identified

- When I use the LVD767 with 2D cockpit I discovered also no problems

- When I check the switches first in the LVD767 2D cockpit view and then change to the 3D the switch assignment is only sometimes no problem

- When I assign the TQ switches via LVD767’s customize commands menu everything works.

It is quite erratic and I cannot see any correlation but it could well be that the source is a graphic or other driver problem. I hope AMD will soon fix some acknowledged issues with the video driver (eyefinity issues) for FSX.

Therefore I decided to stay meanwhile with the LVD-Menu button assignment.

Your question if the LVDS GPWS announcements issue was reported by others. I did read in the LVD forum that others have also problems. Some think it is linked to the Realtek sound driver, some say with Creative’s X-Fi it is no problem some say it is still a problem.

Again thank you for your support.

Rgds

Guido

I did further study the TQ-Switch behavior when I assign LVD767 specific commands to the FSUIPC. As I did already write after take-off the switches do not trigger a key command any more. However in FSUIPC’s switch control window the assigned key-code is still displayed.

Okay ... and how are you detecting that they no longer trigger a "key command"? From everything you say it sounds like FSUIPC is still sending things but the aircraft is then not responding to them. You could tell one way otr the other by using the FSUIPC logging facilities. Log buttons and keys, and Events (though the latter only applies to FS events).

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased CH Throttle Quad. (Jan 2011). I have no end of trouble trying to get this system to work. It will not calibrate accurately regardless of what method I use. That is, either by Windows, FSX or the numerous options suggested by all and sundry on from forums on the internet. Not sure now what’s fact or fiction. The throttles jump all over the place regardless of my input and other problems which I have never encountered before like the parking brake not remaining in the ‘set’ position, the pan ‘view’ hat won’t work neither will the ‘change view’ toggle switch....etc etc. I have tried to re-install numerous times without any luck

I am using the Pro Flt Yoke System and was advised before purchasing the CH Quad that it was compatible...maybe not?

I put the old Saitek yoke back on and everything is as it should be including reverse thrust which seems to be an ongoing problem with the CH Quad.

I have tried to delete the CM program but it won’t ‘go away. The control panel says it’s still ‘running ’. I check the Task Manager and the task bar it shows that nothing is running. I have tried to delete the program but I still get a message stating that the process can’t be deleted as the GUI or control Manager is still on????

Operating system Info

Win 7

Intel® Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz

4.0 GB RAM

32 Nit Op system

NIVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

I would appreciate some help.