The simFlight Network Forums

GoFlight > RealtyXP via FSUIPC

Can I use FSUIPC to integrate a rotory to control the FMS on a Realty XP Garmin 530?

Doesn't an FMS need more than just one rotary control? My FMS needs a full keypad and two sets of selector buttons.

I've no idea for the RealityXP but if it can be operated by keypresses or controls, not just by mouse, then of course you can assign any joystick button or knob to those functions. If it can only be operated by mouse you'd probably need Key2Mouse to deal with it.

If you can point me in the correct direction concerning how, I would be greatful.

Don't RealityXP have a support forum?

Regards

Pete

The Garmin community refers to the double control rotary as the "FMS" control. I can see the confusion.

I will check their forum as well. I did not see anything in their documentation.

I have to admit the reason I posted here is that this forum is responsive, maybe not a good reason in most cases.

Thanks for great products.

The Garmin community refers to the double control rotary as the "FMS" control. I can see the confusion.

So it effectively acts like 4 buttons, one each way for an inner and outer knob?

If it can be driven by keypresses, FS controls, or L:Vars (Local FS Variables) then you can program it with any button or knob device recognisable to FSUIPC, which means pretty much all GoFlight stuff.

In case it uses anything simple like FS controls, just enable FSUIPC event logging, then operate it and check the log.

To find out if it uses L:Vars, if you have a registered FSUIPC, put the "log lvars.lua" file, which you will find in your FSUIPC documents folder (in the FS Modules folder) inside the Example LUA Plugins ZIP, into the Modules folder, then load FS and assign a button or key to "Lua log lvars". Run that with the Reality XP gauge running, and it will also list all of the L:vars, in the log AND on screen, and, better, show what happens when you mouse-click the up/down buttons on the EICAS gauge. Compare what that does to what your assign EFIS button does.

Regards

Pete

The RXP GNS530 has a facility to assign key presses to all functions, it has to be done by manually editing the ini file in notepad though. The file you are looking for is called RXPGNS.ini and is located in C:\ProgramData\reality xp\common\settings\ or at least it is on Windows 7.

What a great find. Thanks.

I found the following within the .ini file. I want to confirm I use for example; 530_RKNOBO_L= for the FMS control (right knob outer), assign a key command within the .ini file and then use FSUIPC to associate the key command with the GF equipment?

530_LKNOBO_L=

530_LKNOBO_R=

530_LKNOBI_L=

530_LKNOBI_R=

530_LKNOBPUSH=

530_RKNOBO_L=

530_RKNOBO_R=

530_RKNOBI_L=

530_RKNOBI_R=

530_RKNOBPUSH=

Yes that is exactly it, you would be better asking any further questions over at the simforums in the realityXP support forum run by Flight1.

Well maybe concerning the other forum. I did ask over there and got nothing adn when I posted, nbot sure iof it is a Realty XP or FSUIPC challenge.

I have the keyboard commands working now. I was able to make GoFlight push buttons work via the FSUIPC "buttons and switches" using key presses. Brilliant stuff.

I would really like to make GF rotary knobs work. I just read the manual and still a little confused about the rotary logic with using on and off and not using repeat. I am sure I will learn how to use it.

Thanks again for pointing out the ini file.

I just read the manual and still a little confused about the rotary logic with using on and off and not using repeat.

Sorry, what bit is confusing?

The rotaries send repeating button press signals, on-off-on-off , one change for each click. the FSUIPC repeat option repeats the assigned action whilst a button is pressed. So, if you happen to leave a dial in its click position 'on' it will cause FSUIPC to repeat forever. You'd have to fiddle about to find a position which was 'off'.

In any case you don't need repeats when the dial itself is sending repeats. But since it sends 'off' alternately, for an action on every click you need to program both the on (press) and off (release) actions.

GoFlight dials also usually have two speeds in each direction, giving 4 effective buttons, two each way.

These things are explained in the documentation. Can you tell me why you don't find it clear enough?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, I came back to this thread to delete my last post but you were to quick. After reading the manual a couple of more times, I get it. The concept of "on and off" was initially foreign to me and casued the confusion.

I was able to see the four positions, slow and fast, left and right.

Thanks for a great product.