The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS and Client

Mr.Dowson,

Sir, I have been sitting here trying not to throw this computer to the wolves. I have been looking and have read your instructions on Wide FS, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the sheed when it comes down to computers. Last night, I put the WideClient.exe and WideClient.ini in a folder named Wide Client on my laptop. I clicked on the Wide Client App to get it started, and another screen popped up saying "Waiting for connection", while on my flight sim computer, it says "waiting for clients". Like I said sir, I'm not the sharpest tool when it comes down to working this thing, but I've all but run out of ideas on what I have to do to get this work. If you could, please help.....

Thanks,

Alex Brown

Sir, I have been sitting here trying not to throw this computer to the wolves. I have been looking and have read your instructions on Wide FS, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the sheed when it comes down to computers.

I'm not a 'sir', just 'Pete' will do.

WideFS should work "out of the box". You should have no configuring to do provided your network is set up correctly, and that's a Windows business, not one of WideFS.

Last night, I put the WideClient.exe and WideClient.ini in a folder named Wide Client on my laptop. I clicked on the Wide Client App to get it started, and another screen popped up saying "Waiting for connection", while on my flight sim computer, it says "waiting for clients". Like I said sir, I'm not the sharpest tool when it comes down to working this thing, but I've all but run out of ideas on what I have to do to get this work.

You've "run out of ideas"? Apart from starting FS and starting WideClient, what other 'ideas' have you tried, so far, please. There's no point in me going over things you've already tried.

Obviously, the first question is: are both computers connected together in a Local Network? If not that's your first job.

Have you looked at all at any of the documentation? In particular you do need to read the first few paragraphs of the section entitled

Configure your Network ?

This is why there's a notice there, in red,, as follows:

IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL USERS TO READ AT LEAST PART OF THIS!

For Network help you might need to look to the Windows help -- I'm no Network expert at all. WideFS merely uses standard working Network facilities, and they need to be operational first.

Finally, please, if you come back fpr more, could you state the version of FS, and the versions of FSUIPC and WideFS you have installed. These are most important. Additionally, information about why a client canniot see a Server, or vice versa, is provided in Log files -- a WideServer.Log in the FS Modules folder and a WideClient.log in the WideClient folder. If you could show me those it might help. They are ordinary text files and you can paste them inyto your messages.

Regards

Pete

I'm not a 'sir', just 'Pete' will do.

WideFS should work "out of the box". You should have no configuring to do provided your network is set up correctly, and that's a Windows business, not one of WideFS.

You've "run out of ideas"? Apart from starting FS and starting WideClient, what other 'ideas' have you tried, so far, please. There's no point in me going over things you've already tried.

Obviously, the first question is: are both computers connected together in a Local Network? If not that's your first job.

Have you looked at all at any of the documentation? In particular you do need to read the first few paragraphs of the section entitled

Configure your Network ?

This is why there's a notice there, in red,, as follows:

IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ALL USERS TO READ AT LEAST PART OF THIS!

For Network help you might need to look to the Windows help -- I'm no Network expert at all. WideFS merely uses standard working Network facilities, and they need to be operational first.

Finally, please, if you come back fpr more, could you state the version of FS, and the versions of FSUIPC and WideFS you have installed. These are most important. Additionally, information about why a client canniot see a Server, or vice versa, is provided in Log files -- a WideServer.Log in the FS Modules folder and a WideClient.log in the WideClient folder. If you could show me those it might help. They are ordinary text files and you can paste them inyto your messages.

Regards

Pete

The two computers are connected, I did that last night

The version of FS is FS9, and I'm using it on a seperate PC, it has the WideServer on it. It's Windows OS is XP

My Laptop has WideFS 6.78, using Windows Vista. Both units have FSUPIC 3.98 on them, and they are registered.

I'm trying to find the Log Files...I saw them last night and this morning before sending my first msg

I'm no expert at any of this at all Pete, but any help you can give me would help. I've read your section on Configure Network, and I've tried to edit the config file in the WideClient.ini (on my laptop because that is where it is) and it won't allow me to save. Mind you the laptop has Vista

The version of FS is FS9, and I'm using it on a seperate PC, it has the WideServer on it. It's Windows OS is XP

My Laptop has WideFS 6.78, using Windows Vista. Both units have FSUPIC 3.98 on them, and they are registered.

Er, are you saying you are running FS9 on BOTH PCs? Because FSUIPC cannot be installed without FS.

I'm trying to find the Log Files...I saw them last night and this morning before sending my first msg

As I said, the WideServer log file will be in the FS9 Modules folder, the same place you placed WideServer, and the WideClient log file will be right next to WideClient.exe and WideClient.ini.

I'm no expert at any of this at all Pete, but any help you can give me would help.

I can only help given information. So far I'm afraid I'm none the wiser.

I've read your section on Configure Network, and I've tried to edit the config file in the WideClient.ini

Why? What are you trying to edit there? Please try to tell me what you are doing and why.

(on my laptop because that is where it is) and it won't allow me to save. Mind you the laptop has Vista

Whether it is Vista or not shouldn't be relevant -- unless you made your WideClient folder in the Program Files folder ... did you? Mide you, if you did it probably wouldn't really let you write the WideClient exe and ini files there, as you said you did.

Since you, yourself, copied the Wideclient.exe and ini files into the Laptop, how come you cannot save an amended INI file? Did you write protect it or something?

Really, rather than hare off into editing INI files it would be better to check basic things, like whether the Laptop can see the Server PC and vice versa (eg to copy files, etc). And whether both PCs are in the same Workgroup. You can check the latter in the Computer properties -- right click "My computer" (or maybe just "Computer" on Vista) and select properties. On Vista it should show on that screen. On XP you have to select the "Computer Name" tab.

The main thing, of course, is the firewall. The default firewall in Vista, certainly, will no doubt block all access to and from any other computer. You'd either need to disable it or make exceptions for FS9.exe and WideClient.exe. The same would apply to anything wanting to exchange data between the two. I never use a firewall on a PC (I rely on the one in my router), so I'm afraid I can't advise much on that. Windows help, maybe?

Regards

Pete

Pete, I found the problem...it was the firewall on my laptop. I dropped it, and it connected. But I put it back up, and its still there.

There should be a way, if you want the firewall up (I personally hate the b***ers), to enable FS and WideClient a way through. Since I hate them and don't use them I've never ventured into how. Sorry.

Regards

Pete